Internet Hijacking

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Is there any software available Freeware or cost that will tell you if anyone else is trying to hijack or connect to your internet connection ?? , just seems my connection flits between low and high and i just need to know if it is someone else attempting to connect ??

Thanks guys

Reaction score
Zone Alarm tells me if someone has tried to attack my computer, but think your after something a bit more?

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Have just downloaded spywareguard that will tell me if someone trys to change my browser homepage ...but its not really what i am after but it was free !

Reaction score
check for background apps first, it's likely that AV s/w or the like is using your bandwith to update.

Reaction score
do u mean if a neighbour is trying to access through your wireless connection or some complete internet stranger hacking?

Just a bit concerned as the speed of my internet varies alot

G~MAN

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Rush said:
Is there any software available Freeware or cost that will tell you if anyone else is trying to hijack or connect to your internet connection ?? , just seems my connection flits between low and high and i just need to know if it is someone else attempting to connect ??
Simple answer ... NO!

Longwinded explanation ...

Everybody in Staffs is trying to use your connection ...

Get a road map out, close your eyes, open any page and stick a pin in ... now, how do you get there from your house? is there more than one route? will one route be quicker than another? would it be best to go in the morning, evening or rush hour?

Same on the Internet ... but you also have "stray traffic" that tends to arrive at your doorstep looking for directions ... your NAT Router, you do have a router? will be your first line of defence, it will totally block any unwanted visitors and ignore them, this takes time ... yes, I know it's not foolproof, but it's the best defence you have ... most people then use a "Software Firewall", ZoneAlarm Windows' own or something else. If not, then they are the ones we have to fear.

My system slows down when one of the other PCs connects to WCG to have a chat ... if I wan't to increase my speed, "bandwidth", I'll need BT to upgrade my download/upload speed ... due this month or next. ;)

Why did I write all that crap ... :confused:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
You wrote it because it was a great way of explaining it :thumb:

I experienced a slowdown a while back - phoned up Telewest and they had a look and found that one of the others on my bandwidth contention was doing loads of filesharing - they switched me to another 'line' and everythings been OK since.

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
By Muckshifter

you wrote it to explain to me about the problem...thanks very much m8 :thumb:

I have a router and my desktop and laptop connect wirelessley , i do have security ,i mean i have to input a code to access the router , just thought that even this could be hijacked ??. When i search for networks though i could connect to two local peoples internet...stupid really how many people leave their back doors open :D

Last edited:

Ask a Question