Internet Explorer passwords

Lindsay

I wasn't sure if there was a NG devoted to this but where does Internet
Explorer keep it's passwords? If I enter a username and password on a web
site and then say YES to remembering it, what if I change my mind and don't
want it remembered?

Wesley Vogel

IE | Tools | Internet Options | Content tab | AutoComplete button | UNCheck:
User names and passwords and Prompt me to save passwords | Clear Forms
button | Clear Passwords button

User names and passwords
[[Specifies whether you want Internet Explorer to suggest entries for
usernames when you enter them in Web pages, and to automatically fill in the
name's corresponding password if you have previously saved it in Internet
Explorer.
Note: For security reasons, Internet Explorer does not actually display or
list password entries; each character in a password box is represented by an
asterisk ( * ). ]]

Prompt me to save passwords
[[Specifies whether you want Internet Explorer to prompt you to save a
password when you enter it in a Web page. Then, when you use a username
entry you've used before, Internet Explorer will automatically fill in the
corresponding password if it has been saved.
If you clear this check box, no new passwords will be saved, and you will
need to type the password each time for any new user names and passwords
that have not previously been saved.
Note: For security reasons, Internet Explorer does not actually display or
list password entries; each character in a password box is represented by an
asterisk ( * ). ]]

Clear Forms button
[[Click this to clear your History folder of all entries you've previously
made in Web pages. This ensures that nobody else can use your computer and
attempt to view any private information you've previously entered, by
viewing what entries are listed by AutoComplete.]]

Clear Passwords button
[[Click this to clear your History folder of all username and password

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In

Wesley Vogel

To open Stored Usernames and Passwords.
Start | Run | Type or Paste: control keymgr.dll | Click OK
You can Add, Remove or Change the password info

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In

Lindsay

Ther is only one entry: <dialup session>, and it won't let me do anything
with it except delete it.

Vincent Xu [MSFT]

Hello,

In fact Autocomplete stores the usernames and passwords in the following
registry: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Protected Storage System
Provider

There will be an user key under the above entry. The user subkey folder
looks similar to the following example:
S-1-5-21-124525095-708259637-1543119021-16701
NOTE: For every identity that you have, there may be a subkey under the
Protected Storage System Provider key.

Hope the informatioin helps. Let me know if you still have concerns or
questions.

Best regards,

Vincent Xu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

that others
may learn and benefit from this issue.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,and confers no rights.

From: "Lindsay" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Subject: Re: Internet Explorer passwords
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 08:41:35 +0100