Internet connection status

Keith

Hi,

When I right click my Internet Connection icon and choose Status, the
status window either only flashes open for a sec, or will only stay open for
a few seconds. It didn't use to do this, so am worried about why it is doing
it now. I use a D-Link router, (DI-604), and have not been having any
trouble with the internet connection. I have an updated virus scanner,
(Norton''s 4004), and have scanned with the latest definition file. I have
also scanned using the latest Ad-Aware, and Spybot programs and definitions.
Any Ideas?

Thanks
Keith

Carsyn Gu [MSFT]

Hello Keith,

Thank you for posting. My name is Carsyn, and it is my pleasure to work
with you on this issue.

From your post, my understanding on this issue is: the Internet Connection
will flash open and then close immediately while you double-click it. If
I'm off base, please feel free to let me know.

This symptom may be caused by the Virus affection. Please try the following
steps to get the problem resolved.

1. We enabled the Windows Internet Firewall Client per the following
Knowledge Base
article:
283673 HOW TO: Enable or Disable Internet Connection Firewall in Windows XP
<http://support.microsoft.com/?id=283673>

2. We downloaded and install the security fix from the following URL:
Security Update for Windows XP (KB835732)
<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=3549EA9E-DA3F-43B9
-A4F1-AF
243B6168F3&displaylang=en>

3. We downloaded the Sasser worm clean up utility which can be downloaded
from the
following URL:
Sasser.A and Sasser.B Worm Removal Tool (KB841720)
<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=76C6DE7E-1B6B-4FC3
-90D4-9F
A42D14CC17&displaylang=en>

Please let me know the information above so that I can provide further
assistance on this problem. I am looking forward to your reply.

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let me
know. I am happy to be of further assistance. Thank you for your time and
cooperation!

Sincerely,
Carsyn Gu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

from your issue.

| From: "Keith" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Internet connection status
| Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 00:52:00 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
|
| Hi,
|
| When I right click my Internet Connection icon and choose Status, the
| status window either only flashes open for a sec, or will only stay open
for
| a few seconds. It didn't use to do this, so am worried about why it is
doing
| it now. I use a D-Link router, (DI-604), and have not been having any
| trouble with the internet connection. I have an updated virus scanner,
| (Norton''s 4004), and have scanned with the latest definition file. I have
| also scanned using the latest Ad-Aware, and Spybot programs and
definitions.
| Any Ideas?
|
| Thanks
| Keith

Keith

Hi Carsyn,

Thanks for your reply. I checked through my installed security patches,
and found KB835732, has been installed. I then found and dl'd, KB841720, and
ran it. It reported, "No infection detected." I have been using the D-Link
router firewall, as I have other computers networked to my computer, as well
as a print server. However, I have enabled the XP (Home addition BTW), built
in firewall for the time being. My first thought was a virus as well, but so
far, neither the Sasser removal tool, nor Norton's, has come up with
anything.

Thanks again for your help!

Keith

Carsyn Gu [MSFT]

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your reply.

Let's try the clean boot to diagnose the cause of this issue.

Clean Boot Your Computer

------------------------
To clean boot your computer, use the appropriate method for your version of
Windows.

Microsoft Windows XP:

1. Click Start, click Run, type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in
the
Open box, and then click OK.

2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then clear all of the
subsequent check boxes. You will not be able to clear the Use Original
BOOT.INI check box.

3. Click OK, and then click Restart to restart your computer.

NOTE: The screen may appear different when the computer is started in Clean
Boot mode (the icon become large ¡­). Please do not be alarmed. This is
only
for test purpose. We can easily return to the normal Startup mode by
repeating
the steps (to Step 2) and choose "Normal Startup".

After Windows starts, follow these steps to manually start Windows Installer
service (which is required for Picture It! installation).

1. Click Start, and then right-click My Computer.

2. On the shortcut menu, click Manage.

3. In the left pane of the Computer Management window, click Services and
Applications, and then click Services.

4. In the right pane, scroll down to Windows Installer, and then right-click
Windows Installer.

5. On the shortcut menu, click Start.

For more information about Windows XP Clean Boot, please refer to the
following
article:

Q310353 How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP
<http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q310/3/53.asp>

Please perform the above steps to perform clean boot of your system at your
convenience. Looking forward to your reply.

Sincerely,
Carsyn Gu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

from your issue.

| From: "Keith" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Internet connection status
| Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 14:39:53 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
|
| Hi Carsyn,
|
| Thanks for your reply. I checked through my installed security
patches,
| and found KB835732, has been installed. I then found and dl'd, KB841720,
and
| ran it. It reported, "No infection detected." I have been using the D-Link
| router firewall, as I have other computers networked to my computer, as
well
| as a print server. However, I have enabled the XP (Home addition BTW),
built
| in firewall for the time being. My first thought was a virus as well, but
so
| far, neither the Sasser removal tool, nor Norton's, has come up with
| anything.
|
| Thanks again for your help!
|
| Keith
|

| | > Hello Keith,
| >
| > Thank you for posting. My name is Carsyn, and it is my pleasure to work
| > with you on this issue.
| >
| > From your post, my understanding on this issue is: the Internet
Connection
| > will flash open and then close immediately while you double-click it.
If
| > I'm off base, please feel free to let me know.
| >
| > This symptom may be caused by the Virus affection. Please try the
| following
| > steps to get the problem resolved.
| >
| > 1. We enabled the Windows Internet Firewall Client per the following
| > Knowledge Base
| > article:
| > 283673 HOW TO: Enable or Disable Internet Connection Firewall in Windows
| XP
| > <http://support.microsoft.com/?id=283673>
| >
| > 2. We downloaded and install the security fix from the following URL:
| > Security Update for Windows XP (KB835732)

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=3549EA9E-DA3F-43B9
| > -A4F1-AF
| > 243B6168F3&displaylang=en>
| >
| > 3. We downloaded the Sasser worm clean up utility which can be
downloaded
| > from the
| > following URL:
| > Sasser.A and Sasser.B Worm Removal Tool (KB841720)

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=76C6DE7E-1B6B-4FC3
| > -90D4-9F
| > A42D14CC17&displaylang=en>
| >

| > Please let me know the information above so that I can provide further
| > assistance on this problem. I am looking forward to your reply.
| >
| > If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let me
| > know. I am happy to be of further assistance. Thank you for your time
and
| > cooperation!
| >
| > Sincerely,
| > Carsyn Gu
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support

| > =====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via
| > your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit
| > from your issue.
| > =====================================================

| rights.

Keith

Hi Carsyn,

I clean booted and followed your instructions. When I right clicked
"Windows Installer" the "Start" option was grayed out. I then choose
"Properties" and got this message: "Configuration Manager: The plug and play
service or another required service is not available." Thus ended that test,
although a box did come up showing windows installer disabled. I tried to
change to Manual, or Automatic in the drop-down list, but got the same
error. (Plug and play service or another... etc.)

So does that tell us something?

Thanks again for your help!
Keith

Carsyn Gu [MSFT]

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your update.

It is mostly like a virus infection based on the symptom you described to
me. May I know which Anti-Virus software you have installed in your system
and what's the lastest virus database you've upgraded?

I need more information to perform research. Thanks.

> [...]

| > 4. In the right pane, scroll down to Windows Installer, and then
| right-click
| > Windows Installer.
| >
| > 5. On the shortcut menu, click Start.
| >
| > For more information about Windows XP Clean Boot, please refer to the
| > following
| > article:
| >
| > Q310353 How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP
| > <http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q310/3/53.asp>
| >
| > Please perform the above steps to perform clean boot of your system at
| your
| > convenience. Looking forward to your reply.
| >
| > Sincerely,
| > Carsyn Gu
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support

| > =====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via
| > your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit

cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXS01.phx.gbl!cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08
| > phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl
| > |
| > | Hi Carsyn,
| > |
| > | Thanks for your reply. I checked through my installed security
| > patches,
| > | and found KB835732, has been installed. I then found and dl'd,
KB841720,
| > and
| > | ran it. It reported, "No infection detected." I have been using the
| D-Link
| > | router firewall, as I have other computers networked to my computer,
as
| > well
| > | as a print server. However, I have enabled the XP (Home addition BTW),
| > built
| > | in firewall for the time being. My first thought was a virus as well,
| but
| > so
| > | far, neither the Sasser removal tool, nor Norton's, has come up with
| > | anything.
| > |
| > | Thanks again for your help!
| > |
| > | Keith
| > |
| > |

| work

| > Connection
| > If

| > | following

| Windows
| > | XP

| > |

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=3549EA9E-DA3F-43B9

| > downloaded

| > |

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=76C6DE7E-1B6B-4FC3

| me
| > and

| > | rights.

| > |
| > |
| > |

Keith

Carsyn,

Thanks so much for your help so far. I'm sorry for the laps in-between
messages, but I have had a hectic schedule the last week. Please bear with
me, as I am very much interested in getting to the bottom of this problem

The virus program I use is Norton's 2004 ver, 10.0.1.13, and the latest
definition file is 11/12/2004. I scaned the computer with AVG 7.0 free
version and the latest definition file this evening, with no virus found. I
have scanned with Ad-Aware SE and it's latest definition file and with
Spybot and it's latest definition file as well. I agree that it feels like
virus activity, but so far nothing I scan with has found anything.

Thanks again for your help,
Keith

It is mostly like a virus infection based on the symptom you described to
me. May I know which Anti-Virus software you have installed in your system
and what's the lastest virus database you've upgraded?

I need more information to perform research. Thanks.

Sincerely,
Carsyn Gu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Carsyn Gu [MSFT]

Hi Keith,

Thanks for coming back to me.

Let's try the steps.

1. Click Start, click Run, and then in the Open box, type "MSCONFIG"
(without
the quotation marks). Click OK.

2. On the General tab, click to enable the Selective Startup button.

3. Clear the check mark for "Load startup Items".

4. Click Apply. Click OK. Restart the computer to enable the changes.

5. Launch Internet Connection to see if it works.

Let's me know the result at your earliest convinience.

Sincerely,
Carsyn Gu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

from your issue.

| From: "Keith" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Internet connection status
| Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 12:02:28 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
|
| Carsyn,
|
| Thanks so much for your help so far. I'm sorry for the laps in-between
| messages, but I have had a hectic schedule the last week. Please bear with
| me, as I am very much interested in getting to the bottom of this problem
|
| The virus program I use is Norton's 2004 ver, 10.0.1.13, and the
latest
| definition file is 11/12/2004. I scaned the computer with AVG 7.0 free
| version and the latest definition file this evening, with no virus found.
| have scanned with Ad-Aware SE and it's latest definition file and with
| Spybot and it's latest definition file as well. I agree that it feels like
| virus activity, but so far nothing I scan with has found anything.
|
| Thanks again for your help,
| Keith

Well, an interesting thing happened. I decided to check the Status
again, before trying your next suggestion, and now it works. The status
window stays open and I can view the stats. However, in the stats window, in
the activity section, there is the packets sent and received. I have three
items, Internet --- Internet Gateway --- My Computer. Here is how it looks:

Internet Internet Gateway MyComputer

Packets Sent: Not Available 10,655
Packets Received: 1,186,879 9,255

The packet count is constantly counting up. I realize having a few
programs that auto-update, I will cause traffic, however is around 800 sent
and 600 received in 60 seconds normal? I went ahead and performed the
msconfig steps from your last post, and checked the stats. The window came
up ok, and stayed open. This time, after a few min, the Internet Gateway
Packets Sent showed 0 instead of Not Available, and stayed at 0, all the
while packets were racking up elsewhere. I went to a few web sites to get
some traffic going and then rechecked the stats. Internet Gateway still
showed 0 Packets Sent, while My Computer showed a packet increase. So now a
little twist in the works. Oh, and I have stupidly neglected to tell you
that even when NO email, browser window, and with no programs running, my
pointer gets a little hour glass for just a second or two randomly. This
started quite a while ago, and so I cannot tell you exactly what change in
the system might have taken place. ...Sorry

So there is the latest.. Thanks
Keith

Carsyn Gu said:
Hi Keith,

Thanks for coming back to me.

Let's try the steps.

1. Click Start, click Run, and then in the Open box, type "MSCONFIG"
(without
the quotation marks). Click OK.

2. On the General tab, click to enable the Selective Startup button.

3. Clear the check mark for "Load startup Items".

4. Click Apply. Click OK. Restart the computer to enable the changes.

5. Launch Internet Connection to see if it works.

Let's me know the result at your earliest convinience.

Sincerely,
Carsyn Gu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

from your issue.

| From: "Keith" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Internet connection status
| Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 12:02:28 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
|
| Carsyn,
|
| Thanks so much for your help so far. I'm sorry for the laps in-between
| messages, but I have had a hectic schedule the last week. Please bear with
| me, as I am very much interested in getting to the bottom of this problem
|
| The virus program I use is Norton's 2004 ver, 10.0.1.13, and the
latest
| definition file is 11/12/2004. I scaned the computer with AVG 7.0 free
| version and the latest definition file this evening, with no virus found.
| have scanned with Ad-Aware SE and it's latest definition file and with
| Spybot and it's latest definition file as well. I agree that it feels like
| virus activity, but so far nothing I scan with has found anything.
|
| Thanks again for your help,
| Keith

stduc

My system uses a netgear router and runs XP Pro. I have a similar problem
that again only started when I installed SP2.
The difference is that the internet connection status window and the
internet icon in network connections are visable after boot up, but vanish
around 30 minutes after boot up.
I happen to think that SP2 has messed something up somewhere. Which is
really annoying. I am certain I don't have a virus as I run McAfee which
is up to date + adaware and spybot.
It would be really nice to get to the bootom of this one!

Carsyn Gu [MSFT]

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your posting.

The gateway package is not related to your Windows system. Please let me
know what your gateway is. Is it a Microsoft Product? If it's not, please
contact the gateway provider.

And, according to the network connection issue, does it now work well after
a clean boot?

Please feel free to write to me if you have any unclear.

> [...]

| Keith
|
| | > Hi Keith,
| >
| > Thanks for coming back to me.
| >
| > Let's try the steps.
| >
| > 1. Click Start, click Run, and then in the Open box, type "MSCONFIG"
| > (without
| > the quotation marks). Click OK.
| >
| > 2. On the General tab, click to enable the Selective Startup button.
| >
| > 3. Clear the check mark for "Load startup Items".
| >
| > 4. Click Apply. Click OK. Restart the computer to enable the changes.
| >
| > 5. Launch Internet Connection to see if it works.
| >
| > Let's me know the result at your earliest convinience.
| >

| > Sincerely,
| > Carsyn Gu
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support

| > =====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via
| > your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit

cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTFEED02.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP09
| > phx.gbl
| > |
| > | Carsyn,
| > |
| > | Thanks so much for your help so far. I'm sorry for the laps
| in-between
| > | messages, but I have had a hectic schedule the last week. Please bear
| with
| > | me, as I am very much interested in getting to the bottom of this
| problem
| > |
| > | The virus program I use is Norton's 2004 ver, 10.0.1.13, and the
| > latest
| > | definition file is 11/12/2004. I scaned the computer with AVG 7.0 free
| > | version and the latest definition file this evening, with no virus
| found.
| > | have scanned with Ad-Aware SE and it's latest definition file and with
| > | Spybot and it's latest definition file as well. I agree that it feels
| like
| > | virus activity, but so far nothing I scan with has found anything.
| > |
| > | Thanks again for your help,
| > |
| Keith
| > |

idaspud

Hi Carsyn,

I have not changed, nor installed any third party software related to
networking on my machine. I haven't even installed any service packs, as I
have read of too many problems. I only install security related hot fixes,
that auto-update suggests, and only after reading the full description. When
I first got the computer, I installed any update that came along, and wound
up with huge problems. I ended up wiping the computer clean and reinstalling
windows. This within the first 3 weeks. Since then, (Well over a year), I
have only installed security related patches. I do check the list to make
sure I am not having the issue a hot fix claims to repair. "If it ain't
broke, don't fix it," has since become my hot fix/sp.x motto!

Hmmm, thinking about it a bit more, I had installed windows .NET package
because a later ver of Partition Magic needed it, but didn't like what it
did to my computer, so uninstalled it, and now use a lower ver of Partition
Magic. Otherwise, I have not installed anything even remotely related to
networking. The internet gateway appeared only after I had purchased a
router, (D-Link DI-604), and quit using the computer as a ICS server to my
other computers, and this before I had installed the .net package.

Thanks
Keith

Carsyn Gu said:
> [...]

| > 4. Click Apply. Click OK. Restart the computer to enable the changes.
| >
| > 5. Launch Internet Connection to see if it works.
| >
| > Let's me know the result at your earliest convinience.
| >

| > Sincerely,
| > Carsyn Gu
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support

| > =====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via
| > your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit
| > from your issue.
| > =====================================================

| rights.
| >
| > --------------------
| > | From: "Keith" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: Internet connection status
| > | Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 12:02:28 -0700
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web

cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTFEED02.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP09
| > |
| > | Carsyn,
| > |
| > | Thanks so much for your help so far. I'm sorry for the laps
| in-between
| > | messages, but I have had a hectic schedule the last week. Please bear
| with
| > | me, as I am very much interested in getting to the bottom of this
| problem
| > |
| > | The virus program I use is Norton's 2004 ver, 10.0.1.13, and the
| > latest
| > | definition file is 11/12/2004. I scaned the computer with AVG 7.0 free
| > | version and the latest definition file this evening, with no virus
| found.
| > | have scanned with Ad-Aware SE and it's latest definition file and with
| > | Spybot and it's latest definition file as well. I agree that it feels
| like
| > | virus activity, but so far nothing I scan with has found anything.
| > |
| > | Thanks again for your help,
| > |
| Keith
| > |

According to Network Connection problem, it could have many reasons.
Sometimes, it is caused by anti-virus software or other 3rd party products.
If you are interested in the root cause of this problem, let's perform some
troubleshooting steps as follows.

How to troubleshoot by using the System Configuration utility in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;310560

Sincerely,
Carsyn Gu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

from your issue.

| From: "idaspud" <[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<exJD7#[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<ug#[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Internet connection status
| Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 12:55:52 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
|
| Hi Carsyn,
|
| I have not changed, nor installed any third party software related to
| networking on my machine. I haven't even installed any service packs, as I
| have read of too many problems. I only install security related hot fixes,
| that auto-update suggests, and only after reading the full description.
When
| I first got the computer, I installed any update that came along, and
wound
| up with huge problems. I ended up wiping the computer clean and
reinstalling
| windows. This within the first 3 weeks. Since then, (Well over a year), I
| have only installed security related patches. I do check the list to make
| sure I am not having the issue a hot fix claims to repair. "If it ain't
| broke, don't fix it," has since become my hot fix/sp.x motto!
|
| Hmmm, thinking about it a bit more, I had installed windows .NET
package
| because a later ver of Partition Magic needed it, but didn't like what it
| did to my computer, so uninstalled it, and now use a lower ver of
Partition
| Magic. Otherwise, I have not installed anything even remotely related to
| networking. The internet gateway appeared only after I had purchased a
| router, (D-Link DI-604), and quit using the computer as a ICS server to my
| other computers, and this before I had installed the .net package.
|
| Thanks
| Keith
|
| | > Hi Keith,
| >
| > Thanks for your posting.
| >
| > The gateway package is not related to your Windows system. Please let me
| > know what your gateway is. Is it a Microsoft Product? If it's not,
please
| > contact the gateway provider.
| >
| > And, according to the network connection issue, does it now work well
| after
| > a clean boot?
| >
| > Please feel free to write to me if you have any unclear.
| >
| > Sincerely,
| > Carsyn Gu
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support

| > =====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via
| > your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit
| > from your issue.
| > =====================================================

| rights.
| >
| > --------------------
| > | From: "Keith" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: Internet connection status
| > | Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 15:06:09 -0700
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web

cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTFEED02.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP12
| > phx.gbl
| > |
| > | Carsyn,
| > |
| > | Well, an interesting thing happened. I decided to check the Status
| > | again, before trying your next suggestion, and now it works. The
status
| > | window stays open and I can view the stats. However, in the stats
| window,
| > in
| > | the activity section, there is the packets sent and received. I have
| three
| > | items, Internet --- Internet Gateway --- My Computer. Here is how it
| > looks:
| > |
| > | Internet Internet Gateway MyComputer
| > |
| > | Packets Sent: Not Available 10,655
| > | Packets Received: 1,186,879 9,255
| > |
| > | The packet count is constantly counting up. I realize having a few
| > | programs that auto-update, I will cause traffic, however is around 800
| > sent
| > | and 600 received in 60 seconds normal? I went ahead and performed the
| > | msconfig steps from your last post, and checked the stats. The window
| came
| > | up ok, and stayed open. This time, after a few min, the Internet
Gateway
| > | Packets Sent showed 0 instead of Not Available, and stayed at 0, all
the
| > | while packets were racking up elsewhere. I went to a few web sites to
| get
| > | some traffic going and then rechecked the stats. Internet Gateway
still
| > | showed 0 Packets Sent, while My Computer showed a packet increase. So
| now
| > | little twist in the works. Oh, and I have stupidly neglected to tell
you
| > | that even when NO email, browser window, and with no programs running,
| my
| > | pointer gets a little hour glass for just a second or two randomly.
This
| > | started quite a while ago, and so I cannot tell you exactly what
change
| in
| > | the system might have taken place. ...Sorry
| > |
| > | So there is the latest.. Thanks
| > | Keith
| > |

| > | rights.

| > |

cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTFEED02.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP09
| > | > |
| > | in-between
| bear
| > | with
| > | problem
| > | > |
| free
| > | found.
| with
| feels
| > | like
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | Keith
| > | > |

Sounds like you have a corupted tcp/ip try this to fix it.
http://cexx.org/lspfix.htm

Carsyn Gu said:
> [...]

| > 4. Click Apply. Click OK. Restart the computer to enable the changes.
| >
| > 5. Launch Internet Connection to see if it works.
| >
| > Let's me know the result at your earliest convinience.
| >

| > Sincerely,
| > Carsyn Gu
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support

| > =====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via
| > your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit
| > from your issue.
| > =====================================================

| rights.
| >
| > --------------------
| > | From: "Keith" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: Internet connection status
| > | Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 12:02:28 -0700
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web

cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTFEED02.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP09
| > |
| > | Carsyn,
| > |
| > | Thanks so much for your help so far. I'm sorry for the laps
| in-between
| > | messages, but I have had a hectic schedule the last week. Please bear
| with
| > | me, as I am very much interested in getting to the bottom of this
| problem
| > |
| > | The virus program I use is Norton's 2004 ver, 10.0.1.13, and the
| > latest
| > | definition file is 11/12/2004. I scaned the computer with AVG 7.0 free
| > | version and the latest definition file this evening, with no virus
| found.
| > | have scanned with Ad-Aware SE and it's latest definition file and with
| > | Spybot and it's latest definition file as well. I agree that it feels
| like
| > | virus activity, but so far nothing I scan with has found anything.
| > |
| > | Thanks again for your help,
| > |
| Keith