D-Link DI-604 Router Question

B

Brian

Does the DI-604's DHCP server serve DNS as well as IP addresses ?????

Under WinXP and Vista, for the last 3 years, I have had my 4 PC's set to obtain IP address and DNS
address automatically under the TCP/IP settings and it's always worked until last week. Suddenly I
had random lack of Internet access when I powered on my PC's. The only way to get it back was to
power cycle the router before turning on my PC's. The Internet would work fine after this until I
powered down a PC or rebooted a PC then that PC would loose Internet access. Since all this started
I found that if I leave the obtain IP address set to automatic but put the routers address in the
DNS address box everything works and my Internet connection always works. The DI-604's manual shows
both set to obtain automatically in the illustrations but says nothing about it in the text. I've
also reset the router to factory defaults several times but it makes no difference. I don't know if
this router is starting to die or what........ Does the 604's DHCP server assign DNS as well as IP
numbers ????

Thanks
Brian

S

smlunatick

Does the DI-604's DHCP server serve DNS as well as IP addresses ?????

Under WinXP and Vista, for the last 3 years,  I have had my 4 PC's set to obtain IP address and DNS
address automatically under the TCP/IP settings and it's always worked until last week.  Suddenly I
had random lack of Internet access when I powered on my PC's. The only way to get it back was to
power cycle the router before turning on my PC's. The Internet would workfine after this until I
powered down a PC or rebooted a PC then that PC would loose Internet access.  Since all this started
I found that if I leave the obtain IP address set to automatic but put the routers address in the
DNS address box everything works and my Internet connection always works.The DI-604's manual shows
both set to obtain automatically in the illustrations but says nothing about it in the text.  I've
also reset the router to factory defaults several times but it makes no difference. I don't know if
this router is starting to die or what........  Does the 604's  DHCP server assign DNS as well as IP
numbers ????

Thanks
Brian

Depending on the version, the older DI-604 does not haev a DNS Relay
feature (DNS server is the router which then "forwards" the request to
the ISPs true servers.)

I would check to see what are the IP addresses assigned to the LAN /
DHCP set setups.

G

GTS

The DI-604 provides a DNS address the same as it's own address (192.168.0.1
unless the default was changed) to clients. This is typical of most
consumer grade routers. It 'proxies' DNS to the providers DNS servers
which are shown on the routers status page. It sounds very likely that your
DI-604 may be failing.

J

Jack-MVP

There two configuration involving DHCP on a Cable/DSL Router.
One is a DHCP server for the Local Network (LAN). This DHCP server assigns
IP number to each computer that is connected to the Network as long as the
computer's TCP/IP is configured to Auto Obtain. The DHCP Server has to be
configured in the Router to give numbers of IPs to cover at least as much as
the number of Computers are on the Network.
There are differences in how the DHCP menus are presenting in various
Routers. Look at your Router's manual to find how yours looks like.
Second setting of DHCP exist on the WEAN Side. This setting has to be
configured according to your ISP instructions and has nothing to do with the
LAN DHCP Server.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

J

James Egan

Second setting of DHCP exist on the WEAN Side. This setting has to be
configured according to your ISP instructions

This isn't dhcp. It is ppp.

Jim.

J

Jack-MVP