Internet connection problem. Please help!

Reaction score
Hello,

I have an internet connection problem.

I can't connect to the internet because the connecting process stops at "verifying username and password" and it takes long time before showing me "Error:721...". I face with this problem almost every time I try to connect to the internet.

While there were some "good" days which I could get connected without any problem but most of the cases I needed to restart my laptop for a few times before it could get connected again. Sometime I even needed to restart my laptop up to more than 10 times consecutively. This is really time-consuming!!

While I say ''restart", I don't really mean it. It is rather a blue screen restart. Let me explain. Whenever the connection failed, I click on the system tray ''safely remove hardware'' icon to safely remove my modem. Each time I do this the computer will go blue screened and restart. Sometime, with luck, I am able to connect to the internet after one restart. If not, 5 to 10 times or more restarts.

I suspected that it was the problem of my modem. So I uninstalled and reinstalled the modem firmware at least a few times. This didn't solve the problem. Actually I have been using this modem starting since September 2004. Everything was going fine until October 2005 (after 1 year and a month). During this period I didn't do any changes to my computer. The connection problem began just like that.

I tried some others' solutions by searching all over the net. I downloaded winsock xp fix but it doesn't help.

I tried 'ipconfig' but the command window appeared and showed up for a second and then, gone. I could hardly read what was inside the command window.

Next, I tried using command prompt. (I get this solution by reading from other forum.) I forgot how exactly I did it but it had something to do with ''nestch''. I followed this instruction and my situation turned out to be worse than ever!! I couldn't browse or surf the internet even when I was connected. Fortunately, winsock xp fix helped me this time.

I hope I describe my problem clear enough. Is there anyone who faced the same problem? Tell me your solution.

I have been facing with this problem since October last year. I am so angry that everyday it takes me about 30 minutes to get connect to the internet. So if you know the cause of this problem, please tell me and help me out.

Thanks.

Reaction score
What do you use to connect BB or dial up? Have you scanned for Virus have you used Ccleanner Etc Etc?

I tried 'ipconfig' but the command window appeared and showed up for a second and then, gone. I could hardly read what was inside the command window.

Click Run> type CMD First then type> IPCONFIG in the box that appears;)

Reaction score
I use broadband connection. I run virus,spyware and adware scans regularly. I also have registry cleaner. I doubt that maybe my registry cleaner had unintendedly cleaned some of the important registries that caused the problem. Is this possible? I am just guessing. By the way, I seldom backup when I run my registry cleaner. If this is the cause, what can I do to repair my internet connection?
But I feel that it is not the registy that causes problem. I think it is rather the setting that matters since I know not much about this.

Oh yeah, I ran a computer scan few days ago and I found out that my computer's TCP/IP protocol and RAS service were not running.And my PPPoE xp client was deactivated. Strange thing was I can still get connected.

Reaction score
eddiechai2003 said:
I use broadband connection. I run virus,spyware and adware scans regularly. I also have registry cleaner. I doubt that maybe my registry cleaner had unintendedly cleaned some of the important registries that caused the problem. Is this possible? I am just guessing. By the way, I seldom backup when I run my registry cleaner. If this is the cause, what can I do to repair my internet connection?
But I feel that it is not the registy that causes problem. I think it is rather the setting that matters since I know not much about this.

Oh yeah, I ran a computer scan few days ago and I found out that my computer's TCP/IP protocol and RAS service were not running.And my PPPoE xp client was deactivated. Strange thing was I can still get connected.

I doubt it would inadvertently delete files

Have you tried system restore to an earlier date?

What discs if any do you have I.E.> NTL or whatever if so reinstall> or visit the appropriate web site and download the repair program, unless you know what files were deleted you will have to reinstall.

Reaction score
Hello,

Now , I don't face any problem connecting to internet again because I just bought an ADSL wireless router. Haha. I connect using wireless and I throw my old modem away because it caused me a lot of trouble.

By the way, thank you Itsme for trying to help me. Thanks again.

Bye.

Reaction score
hey, remove the connection and setup the connection once again,configure the connection with correct phone no, userid and password

Reaction score
Just for the record...

the blue screen was because you tried to "safely remove" hardware while it had a "background process" still running.

The "safely remove" feature is a hell of a joke in xp, a leftover that has little to do with actual hardware interface.

Suggessted tools are regclean from MICROSOFT. They invented the registry and their tool is the most effective at
cleaning up truncated and bleeding registry entries, ive used it for about 12 years successfully.

Also, spybot at safer-networking.org is very handy at managing the startup list and registry to program file errors.

Good luck with the wireless access point

Brian W
CAD Computing

Ask a Question