problem with incomming connections

Reaction score
problem with incoming connections

hi everyone
i've got a problem and i need you to help me with it
the thing is that i cant accept incoming connections through a modem
i already created an incoming connection in winxp and i selected the modem as connection device, but when i open the dialog again i see that there's no modem selected, it deselected itself
can you please help me with this?
thanks

Last edited:

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
what exactly are you trying to accomplish? There are several settings you will need to check for different configurations. Do you need a VPN? Are you using Remote Desktop? Have you checked your firewall? What type of network are you using?

Details assist in proper troubleshooting.

Reaction score
Im not using Remote Dektop
I want to accept incoming connection via modem
I went to Control Panel > Network Connection > Create a new connection
These are the steps I followed:
-(next)
-set up an advanced connection
-accept incoming connections
-I selected my modem device
and i just click 'next' until the end

at this point when I open the connection, I should see a dialog with my modem device selected as connection device. the problem is this, it is deselected and i can select it, but when i click OK and open the dialog again, the modem is deselected.

I always has used this 'default incoming connection' but then one day (i dont know why) it just stopped working.
I already tried to remove the connection and create it again :(

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
Are we talking a dial up connection here?

If it "just stopped working," you may want to look at drivers for the modem. Did the COM port fail?

Check device manager and ensure that your hardware is configured or installed properly.

Reaction score
i think the problem is not the driver nor the modem because i can use a dial up connection and it works perfectly, the problem appears with the incoming connections: it dont accept my modem as connection device

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
remove and reinstall communications or networking components associated with the device/connection?

It may not necessarily be a driver problem, but a communication between the OS and the driver. R&R the drivers forces a rebuild of these links. I remember a time when AOL would thrash a system with its updates. A rebuild of the TCP/IP stack was the only fix for it, and you had to do that several times in a few months.

Ask a Question