Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested serv

Per-Olof Olsson

Hi

Im experiencing some problems on some of my user machines in my 2003 domain.
When they try to save their work from the appliaction that they are running
(mostly a 3d CAD program called Solidworks 2007), they get an error message
saying

Z:\ is not accessible
Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.

There are enough memory free in the machine so it doesnt seem to be a
problem there...

If you try to open explorer and access any mapped drive you get the same
message... Closing down other applications such as outlook MIGHT give the
machine enough power to access the mapped drive again and thus save the work.

I have tried finding an answer to our problem but i havent found anything
that have helped so far...

The users are working with a 2003 SP1 standard server.
Using Trend Micro 3.6 SMB if that is of any relevance...
Winxp sp2 machines fully updated.

I would grately appreciate any suggestions on this matter.

Best Regards
Per-Olof Olsson

(PS sorry for double posting, it seems to have been some problems with my
alias, that is why this comes again in the forum)
________________________
Per-Olof Olsson
IT - Manager

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

My reply is at the bottom.

[...]

This may be a TrendMicro issue - I've seen this happen. If you disable the
Trend services on the server itself, or if you reboot the server, I'll bet
it fixes the problem (the latter only temporarily). Check your updates and
make sure you've got the latest SP for CSM 3.6 installed, and also the
latest pattern file downloaded/pushed out to clients.

I'm setting up my reply to crosspost to
microsoft.public.windows.server.general as this is not an XP issue....

Jian-Ping Zhu [MSFT]

Hello,

Thank you for your post as well as to Lanwench for the information sharing.

I agree with Lanwench that this issue might be caused by Trend Micro. As we
know, antivirus software, which adds filter drivers to file system, is one
of the possible causes of this kind of SMB share access issue.

Therefore, I recommend you do the following tests to narrow down this issue:

1. Temporarily uninstall Trend Micro and then please have another test and
check whether the issue still exists.

2. If the above step makes no improvement, please boot both the file server
and the XP client into a Clean Boot environment to test it again.

To perform a clean boot, please do as follows:
On a problematic server perform a clean boot and check if the issue still
exists
a. Click Start->Run...->type msconfig and press Enter
b. Click Services tab and select Hide All Microsoft Services and Disable
All third party Services.
c.. Click Startup tab and Disable All startup items
d. Click OK and choose Restart
e. After reboot, check whether the problem still occurs

Meanwhile, we need to collect more information to isolate the root cause if
this problem continues:

1. Does this issue happen for all users or just some specific users?
2. Does this issue happen for all files or just the application files?
Please try to save a small .txt file to the remote share. Does the same
issue exist?
3. Could you save files to the remote share before? If so, what changes
have been made recently, such as the installation of some software?

Thanks again for your time and attention. I look forward to hearing from
you. :)

Sincerely,
Neo Zhu,
Microsoft Online Support

Per-Olof Olsson

Hi

Thank you all for u'r replies.

I may actually have to do with Trend, I can pinpoint exactly when theese
faults have risen, but it may very well be after the installation of Trend
Micro...

I will try to recreate the fault with and without Trend active.

1. its not all users that are affected. Even users working with this
particular fileserver. I have Trend installed on another fileserver on
another subnet with Trend clients but not the same issue.

2. It happens for all files, that is if I am using SolidWorks and try to
save the file get the error message and then open explorer and try to access
a mapped drive i get the same error. So i cant open up a mapped drive in any
way, thus not being able to save a small txt file even...

Thank you
Per-Olof Olsson
--
________________________
Per-Olof Olsson

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Per-Olof Olsson said:
[...]

I've seen this before, and it was definitely Trend. Try my suggestions ASAP.

Per-Olof Olsson

Lanwench:

ok, do you know if there is some hotfix from trend that fixes this issue? Or
is the onlu solution to get rid of Trend?

Best regards
Per-Olof

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Per-Olof Olsson said:
Lanwench:

ok, do you know if there is some hotfix from trend that fixes this
issue?

Did you try what I suggested, which was to make sure your SP level and
pattern files were up to date?
Or is the onlu solution to get rid of Trend?

Not at all - where did I suggest that? ;-)

Per-Olof Olsson

Hi again

No u didnt suggest that directly, to get rid of trend hehehe :)

I have talked to one of the guys having this problem on his machine and im
currently waiting for him to reproduce the problem. As soon as he does that i
will go ahead and try what you suggested,meanwhile i try to collect what i
can about the issue and how to solve it.. if possible... I found a link on
the net that showed how to increase the kernelmemory paged pool... because of
Trends way of eating too much of that.... but i will see when i get my user
to reproduce the problem first and try u'r suggestions.

Its now holiday here so i will get back on this issue on thuseday next week
when im back at work. Until then thanks for your support!

Best Resgards
P-O

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Per-Olof Olsson said:
Hi again

No u didnt suggest that directly, to get rid of trend hehehe :)

I have talked to one of the guys having this problem on his machine
and im currently waiting for him to reproduce the problem.

Why not start looking into this beforehand? It won't be a per user thing -
it will spread, if I'm right about the cause.
As soon as
he does that i will go ahead and try what you suggested,meanwhile i
try to collect what i can about the issue and how to solve it.. if
possible... I found a link on the net that showed how to increase the
kernelmemory paged pool... because of Trends way of eating too much
of that....

Don't do anything with that yet. And I'd call Trend support to open a case
before doing that anyway.
but i will see when i get my user to reproduce the
problem first and try u'r suggestions.

You need to do that anyway - SP1 (or whatever it is) for Trend.
Its now holiday here so i will get back on this issue on thuseday
next week when im back at work. Until then thanks for your support!

Best Resgards
P-O

Sure - best of luck.

Jesse Pastrano

We have had a similar issue on our file server. On the file server are there
any System event ID 2020 logged when this happens and does the Windows server
seem to lockup at the console requiring a hard reboot to fix?

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Srv
Event ID: 2020
The server was unable to allocate from the system paged pool because the
pool was empty.

Jian-Ping Zhu [MSFT]

Hello Customer,

Regarding your last email , I am just check and follow-up on your status.

I was wondering , if you were available to try conduct test and answer my
questions.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Sincerely,
Neo Zhu,
Microsoft Online Support

| From: (e-mail address removed) (Jian-Ping Zhu [MSFT])
| Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 05:06:33 GMT
| Subject: RE: Insufficient system resources exist to complete the
requested serv
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
|
| Hello,
|
| Thank you for your post as well as to Lanwench for the information
sharing.

| I agree with Lanwench that this issue might be caused by Trend Micro. As
we
| know, antivirus software, which adds filter drivers to file system, is
one
| of the possible causes of this kind of SMB share access issue.
|
| Therefore, I recommend you do the following tests to narrow down this
issue:

| 1. Temporarily uninstall Trend Micro and then please have another test
and
| check whether the issue still exists.
|
| 2. If the above step makes no improvement, please boot both the file
server
| and the XP client into a Clean Boot environment to test it again.
|
| To perform a clean boot, please do as follows:
| On a problematic server perform a clean boot and check if the issue
still
| exists
| a. Click Start->Run...->type msconfig and press Enter
| b. Click Services tab and select Hide All Microsoft Services and Disable
| All third party Services.
| c.. Click Startup tab and Disable All startup items
| d. Click OK and choose Restart
| e. After reboot, check whether the problem still occurs
|
| Meanwhile, we need to collect more information to isolate the root cause
if
| this problem continues:
|
| 1. Does this issue happen for all users or just some specific users?
| 2. Does this issue happen for all files or just the application files?
| Please try to save a small .txt file to the remote share. Does the same
| issue exist?
| 3. Could you save files to the remote share before? If so, what changes
| have been made recently, such as the installation of some software?
|
| Thanks again for your time and attention. I look forward to hearing from
| you. :)
|
| Sincerely,
| Neo Zhu,
| Microsoft Online Support
| Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
|
| Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| =====================================================
| When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| =====================================================
rights.

Mike Fields

If you have had Norton on that machine and removed it, you might want to
check and see
if this one applies in your case (I have run into this one before)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/177078/en-us

mikey

Jian-Ping Zhu said:
Hello Customer,

Regarding your last email , I am just check and follow-up on your
status.

I was wondering , if you were available to try conduct test and
answer my
questions.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Sincerely,