Instead of Norton

MikeG

Hi: In another Group, Vista, It was strongly suggested that I get rid of my
"Norton Internet Security" program, get it off my machine, and I did.

Do you have any suggestions for another security program or should I just
use the windows firewall that comes with XP?

Many thanks...Mike

Jim

MikeG said:
Hi: In another Group, Vista, It was strongly suggested that I get rid of
my "Norton Internet Security" program, get it off my machine, and I did.

Do you have any suggestions for another security program or should I just
use the windows firewall that comes with XP?

Many thanks...Mike
You definitely should have some kind of anti-virus program. A firewall is
not that type of program.

A V suggestions include
Kaspersky
Nod32
Avast
AVG

Firewall suggestions include
Zone Alarm
Comodo
Windows Firewall

You should also run SpyBot Search & Destroy and Ad aware. These two catch
things that the A V programs don't and vice versa.

Jim

Ken Blake, MVP

Hi: In another Group, Vista, It was strongly suggested that I get rid of my
"Norton Internet Security" program, get it off my machine, and I did.

Do you have any suggestions for another security program or should I just
use the windows firewall that comes with XP?

You need *three* kinds of security software to protect you: a
firewall, and anti-virus program, and at least two anti-spyware
programs.

The Windows firewall, or any other firewall, is *not* good enough.

I recommend the free Avast antivirus. For anti-spyware, I recommend
Spyware Blaster, Spybot Search and Destroy, and Adaware, all free.

MikeG

Yes, I have all of them installed. I was hoping there would be some program
that would prevent an infection to begin with...but I guess the anti-virus
will stop an infection. The spyware gets rid of the spyware thats on the
machine, but I need a preventive to keep it from getting on the machine to
begin with...some sort of innoculant...? Mike

MikeG

Yes, I have AVG installed and updated.
Jim said:
You definitely should have some kind of anti-virus program. A firewall is
not that type of program.

A V suggestions include
Kaspersky
Nod32
Avast
AVG

Firewall suggestions include
Zone Alarm
Comodo
Windows Firewall

You should also run SpyBot Search & Destroy and Ad aware. These two catch
things that the A V programs don't and vice versa.

Jim

Jim

Uhh...
What's wrong with Norton?
I tested it via grc.com and it's bullet proof. I've had it for 5 years and
never had a problem, not one virus, not one intrusion.

What's the deal? Windows is full of security holes, how could Windows
Firewall be any better?

MikeG

There was universal opposition to Norton anything in the Vista Group...I'm
ignorant of the whole thing. I paid Dell $80.00 for Norton Internet Security
program. I can tell you that once I uninstalled Norton, the machine ran a
heck of a lot faster. Mike

Jim

And you'll let us know if your computer runs faster with these other
protective programs, right?

I just have to wonder if the opposition you are hearing isn't just anti
Norton, Pro Microsoft stuff.

There was universal opposition to Norton anything in the Vista Group...I'm
ignorant of the whole thing. I paid Dell $80.00 for Norton Internet
Security program. I can tell you that once I uninstalled Norton, the
machine ran a heck of a lot faster. Mike
"Jim" <[email protected]> wrote in message

<snip>

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

"how could Windows Firewall be any better?"
NAV and the Windows Firewall are not comparable.
One is a firewall while the other an anti virus.
Both types of protection are needed on computers.
Additionally one or more spyware programs are needed as well.

Get rid of Norton and try AVG Free or one of the other good anti virus
programs.
No one said Norton is bad at protecting against viruses, but Norton is
bad with computer resources.

Have you ever considered getting more memory for your computer.
Without Norton, you will probably get the boost with out the expense.

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Except for One Care, there is nothing Microsoft has that as an anti
virus.
Most recommend AVG Free, Avast, Nod32, Kaspersky and a few others.
Few if any recommend One Care as a solution.

Daave

MikeG said:
Yes, I have all of them installed. I was hoping there would be some
program that would prevent an infection to begin with...but I guess
the anti-virus will stop an infection. The spyware gets rid of the
spyware thats on the machine, but I need a preventive to keep it from
getting on the machine to begin with...some sort of innoculant...?

SpywareBlaster *does* prevent spyware!

See http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

(You said you "have all of them installed." Are you sure?)

But the best program, seriously, is the one that resides in your head.
Don't visit dodgy Web sites. Don't open attachments unless you are
expecting them, and you *still* may want to scan them first.

Further reading:

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=279

http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html

HTH.

P.S. I also noticed you didn't munge your e-mail address. This greatly
increases the amount of spam you get as well as phishing scams. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Address_munging

Gerry

Daave

How do you know a web site is "dodgy" before you view it? You would also
need an encyclopaedic memory to implement that part of your strategy! Of
course if you know a site is "dodgy" it is sensible not to play with
fire.

--
Regards.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gerry

Windows Defender is OK but I always have doubts about composite
solutions like One Care.

Norton buys up market leaders and then does no further development work
on the product. A few years down the line drops the product from the
product range. WinFax Pro is the latest casualty. My guess is Partition
Magic will be the next. It also produces disasters like Crashguard.

A good motto. Keep things simple and do them well.

--
Regards.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gerry

Mike

No one has mentioned a Hosts file. It's another component in a package
of security measures.

Anti-virus -AVG 7.5 (Free)
Anti-spyware -Windows Defender (Free) -Real time protection.
Anti-spyware -Ad-Aware SE Personal (Free) and Spybot S & D (Free)
Software Firewall -Windows Firewall
Hardware Firewall -With Router
Host File - http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/index.html
Anti-spam -Spamguard
Munged email address for use in newsgroup
Outlook Express Message Rule directing all attachments to dedicated
local folder.

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ron Hardin

Most people recommend ZoneAlarm free firewall, and AVG free anti-virus.

Both seem reasonably well behaved, to me.

I should say that over years since 1996 I've never had any virus detected, so
the utility of it may depend on what sort of web habits you have.

I hardly download anything, and read mail only online (not downloading it as mail).
I'm mostly click-averse, I guess.

Daave

Gerry said:
Daave

How do you know a web site is "dodgy" before you view it? You would
also need an encyclopaedic memory to implement that part of your
strategy! Of course if you know a site is "dodgy" it is sensible not
to play with fire.

While it's impossible to know every single dodgy Web site, what I was
referring to was exercising common sense and avoiding sites that offer
free MP3s, porn, etc.

shakey

Just feel that I want to put my two cents in here.
All I ever hear in windows groups is how bad McAfee is but I have been using
it for over ten years and never" well maybe once" have I ever caught
anything serious. I jump around on the web for hours a day, read ALT
newsgroups including binary ones, use IRC and if McAfee was so bad I would
think I would be hammered with problems.
SG

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

I think you miss the point.
Few if any suggest McAfee or Norton will not catch viruses.
The problem is the overhead they have.
Both use an extremely amount of resources compared to other products
at least as effective.

If you feel your computer needs a boost, remove McAfee and install one
of the recommended such as AVG Free or NOD32.
Cheaper than adding memory.

Tony Meloche

Jupiter said:
I think you miss the point.
Few if any suggest McAfee or Norton will not catch viruses.
The problem is the overhead they have.
Both use an extremely amount of resources compared to other products at
least as effective.

If you feel your computer needs a boost, remove McAfee and install one
of the recommended such as AVG Free or NOD32.
Cheaper than adding memory.

This really touches a nerve with me, too. Norton was - and is - an
excellent, virtually up-to-the-*hour* (on occasion) effective virus
stopper. But today, it's stuffed with other crapola. H-P is another one
of those companies, as is McAfee and dozens more any of us could name.

Everyone calls it "bloatware", and I think it's evolving as a problem
just as big as malware (and one could make an argument that it is
virtually "legalized malware"). A software company can offer their
software on a CD, and charge $xx for it. If they'd all put in an
introductory page that allows you to choose exactly what parts you want,
and what parts you *don't* want to load on your computer, they could
continue to charge $xx for it, and they'd still be happy with their
profit. The consumer would be happier than they are now, for the right
to *choose* whether they want the whole enchilada, or want to leave out
the "gingerbread" that mostly clogs and conflicts with - and slows down
- everything else. I do not think that's naive. I think it's common
sense. Tying together a chunk of bloatware that loads as one with the
main program just gets people angry and frustrated - not a good business
practice.

Tony

shakey

I have noticed a gradual slowdown that I cannot cure with the normal methods
(spybot,ad-aware)and similar programs plus routine maintenance of files.
Since my McAfee is expiring in one week I will give a look at those you and
others suggest.
Thanks
SG