Incompatibility Issue and Missing Programme

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Whilst trying to download something I got a box stating that there were incompatibility issues with a programme on my PC called Lavasoft and problems could follow if I continue. Trouble is I can't find Lavasoft anywhere and I have no recollection of ever having anything to do with it.. It doesn't appear when I type into Search and it isn't listed in Control Panel. Nor can I find it in Local Disc > Program Files.

I note that Lavasoft are linked to a programme called Adaware but I have no memory of ever using that either. Searches for this are also fruitless.

My question is "is there somewhere else that I can look for this?" so that I can eradicate it.

Last edited:

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Give your system a clean with Malwarebytes or Superantispyware. From what I can see Lavasoft is adware.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks, Evan, but I've already done that. :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It could well be that whatever it was you downloaded used Lavasoft to bundle other hidden downloads, as according to Wikipedia this is something that it is used for :(:

Lavasoft is now used to hide hard-to-uninstall programs into third-party software to trick the users in installing them, like in the K-Lite Codec Pack, and the Lavasoft Web Companion changes your browser home page without asking first. Although the company shields itself behind the complete legality of bundled software and claims that their software is only used to fight malware, several users are starting to brand their products as malware

Alternatively, I've found a list of their products, which may shed a little more light on things in Control Panel / Program Files. I suspect it is the former problem though.

Malware products: Ad-Aware
  • Ad-Aware Free Antivirus+
  • Ad-Aware Personal Security
  • Ad-Aware Pro Security
  • Ad-Aware Total Security
Ad-Aware Web Companion

Lavasoft AdBlocker

PC tune-up products
  • Lavasoft TuneUp Kit
  • Lavasoft PC Optimizer
  • Lavasoft Driver Updater
  • Lavasoft Registry Tuner
Data security products
  • Lavasoft File Shredder
  • Lavasoft Digital Lock
  • Lavasoft Encryption Reader
Lavasoft Privacy ToolBox
- contains File Shredder, Digital Lock, and Encryption Reader

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks, Ian. After my last post I also checked out Lavasoft in more detail and came up with the same programs that you listed above. None of them feature in Control Panel or in my Program Lists.

It remains a mystery. :confused:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ah I remember the days when Ad-Aware used to be good.....

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks, Mucks, I ran the removal tool which informed me that it had been successful but when I tried to download the other programme I got the same message about incompatibility with Lavasoft. :confused:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
What is it you're trying to download, as that may give more clues?

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
What is it you're trying to download, as that may give more clues?

Program called AxCrypt (for hiding away files and folders) but I've decided to forget the whole thing unless anyone knows of a good, reliable alternative..:)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
They've got a section in their FAQ about Lavasoft, so this may be a common issue (https://www.axcrypt.net/support/faq/#lavasoft-crash).

They suggest it may be due to "Lavasoft Web Companion"

It may be worth running Adwcleaner to see if it's hiding away somewhere (it's free): https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/

You could also check if you've got a file located at C:\Windows\System32\LavasoftTcpService64.dll - as this is the file that the AXCrypt installer looks for and stops the installation if detected. If you're sure that you've got no Lavasoft products installed, the .dll should be safe to delete.

That should hopefully do the trick :).

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Think we've got it, Ian.

Lavasoft.JPG

Your link has brought up six instances of Lavasoft which I shall now delete. :thumb:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
After deleting the Lavasoft entries I have now successfully installed AxCrypt which seems to be a neat hideaway for certain files.

I may add that I keep nothing financial or very personal on my PC.

Many thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
"certain files"

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

You know there's websites for that kind of stuff these days right? :lol:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Brilliant - glad it's up and running now :D.

Ask a Question