USB Com ports

Reaction score
Looked around quickly can't really find a way to do it without buggering around in registry

Just plugged in my k150 programmer. Can't use it as it appears to be using comm 23 (I did manage to change it now to #2) needs a port between 1 and 9 as software is designed to use no higher.

However according to advanced settings I have dozens of items assigned which I no longer use
I have several items like mouse, keyboard etc and a couple of others but I need to clear assigned ports that are not being used

Anyone have an idea how to do it?

TIA

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Can you try doing to Device Manager (you can right click start button to find it) and then expand the "ports" option please? How many things do you have listed there? If there's more than a couple, could you take a screenshot please.

If your USB programmer appears there, you can also go to right click it > properties > port settings > advanced and then change the COM port to whatever you'd like :).

Reaction score
Ian, I have managed to assign a port now but ports were in use all the way up 22 or 23 I think.
I only have a handful of items that need USB ports constantly, but some were being taken up from years ago
It seems when releasing the ports the registry has kept hold of the device it was assigned to it

My Prolific USB to serial K150 Programmer is now using Port 2, but lots of other ports are still assigned to items I don't use anymore like my iphone, webcam etc etc. I want to be able to through the ports and decide which I no longer need to be assigned. If you know what I mean. Or free all the ports and let them be assigned when needed?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Do the used ports appear in device manager? If so, you may just be able to right click and uninstall it. You may need to go to View > Show Hidden devices to show all ports.

If you load up the Powershell prompt and run the command below, can you please let me know the resulting ports please, as it may give a clue as to why they are still there. If a Phone/etc... was assigned a COM port, it should be released again when disconencted.

Code:
Get-WMIObject Win32_SerialPort | Select-Object Name,DeviceID,Description

As a last resort, you could try using this tool (I've not tried it, but it looks like it'll do it):

It's called "COM Name Arbiter Tool" about halfway down the page.

Reaction score
Cleared all devices away from USB ports. It detected stuff like my k/b mouse and wireless controller device and left those on.

So at present only device 1,3 and 6 are being used

Decent little proggy that Ian thank you :)

Ask a Question