Include text as part of Heading style

Reaction score
I am preparing a document for publication, using Word styles for Heading 1, Heading 2, etc. My publisher wants me to put an annotation such as [H1] [H2] at the beginning or end of each heading so the compositor will be able to apply the correct publication style. (They do not want to convert the Word style into their styles, although I'm fairly certain this is possible.)
Is there a way that I can include this text in the style definition so that when I apply the style, so I don't have to go back and manually insert these notations?

Here is what I've tried:
(1) I can define an outline numbering format that includes text, but it also requires a number format in order to save it and I don't need sequential numbering.
(2) I can define a bullet style, but the bullet style allows me to insert only one character or symbol, unless I create a GIF which I don't want to do.
(3) I tried a search for the Heading 1 style with wildcard for text and replaced with wildcard + [H1], but the search picks up each character within the Heading 1 style (it is defined as para-char linked) and not the paragraph as a whole. Word does not allow me change the Heading 1 style to paragraph.

Does anyone have another solution?
Thanks.

Reaction score
Perhaps you mention this, but not explicitly, so I'll give it a shot.

This won't work if you already have the heading styles attached to a multilevel list for the purposes of numbering, but since you say you don't need sequential numbering...

Make sure the cursor isn't in a multilevel list of some kind, and open the multilevel list button on the home tab in Word 2007. (That's the one with the indented series of three.) (If the cursor is already in a multilevel list, you edit that list instead of creating a new one.)

• Click the More button; you'll need some of the features.
  • For each level of the list:
      1. Click the level to modify.
      2. Set the Number style to (none)
      3. Place the string of characters you want in the Enter Formatting for number field.
      4. Select the appropirate heading style in the Link level to style field.
      5. You probably want to set the "Follow number with" field to either a space or none, but that's a matter for you and your typesetter.
No guarantees, but it might work, and it does let you start the headings with multiple standard characters.

It's possible you could do it with a specialized bullet list that is actually a field of some kind, but I've never tried that, and I have tried this.

Reaction score
Thank you, this seems to work. Your directions took me to some sections of Word where I haven't been for awhile and can be somewhat tricky to find. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Ask a Question