In-Game Pings

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I think I am seeing too much fluctuation in pings, but wanted to run my question past some of you, who are going to be lots more knowledgeable than me. (I am taking part in an ISP trial, so we're meant to "report" anything which could be considered a glitch, but I don't want to look like an idiot, if you all tell me that it's "normal" - if you see what I mean? :p.... you lot already know I'm an idiot!! ;) :D)

In the space of about 5 mins, I watched the little in-game ping meter thingy in Guild Wars produce some very varied readings (oh, and I wasn't being totally sad, lol, I was experiencing some "stutters" and a bit of lag at the time.) An example:

731; 132; 188; 31; 79; 219; 360; 79; (all in ms, of course.) It keeps going from fairly respectable double-figures, to some really ott numbers. The FPS fluctuates around 57 - 61.

Over on Pingtest.net, the score was an "A" and speed-wise, the connection is pretty steady, at an average of 4 to 5 Mbps. This connection has been active since 11 November (which is when the new trial went live.)

Any views much appreciated, thank you for reading this. :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Run this in the background as you play, see if it reports any high spikes.
http://winmtr.sourceforge.net/

731 is very high though and that wont help, any other net traffic at the time?

Basically the key with ping is as low as possible but also more importantly it needs to be stable. :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thank you for the speedy reply V_R :D Yes, it has always been a lot more stable than this, I don't think I've ever seen such high pings before either. And no, there was nothing else going on in the background (other than email being open and BOINC - but they are always running and haven't caused probs before....no big files coming or going.) But, I shall try your link, thank you for that :thumb:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Me an me mate used to play a good game of ping the suspender when we were younger. First to ten without getting a slapped face was the winner.
nod.gif

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Me an me mate used to play a good game of ping the suspender when we were younger. First to ten without getting a slapped face was the winner.
nod.gif

I once got 6 of the best everyday for the whole week for pinging my maths teachers bra...After three days my arse was so raw I couldn't sit...I tell you what it was fricking worth it.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
nod.gif

sock-garters-brown-bsti_-1.jpg

:lol: :lol:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Woops! I'll try again, re Madx comment... thanks Madx :thumb:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Taffycat said:

BTW, Apologies for the blanked out bits, I am only doing that to comply with my ISPs request that we (trialists) don't talk openly about the wholesale provider just yet, until the evaluation is complete.

Erm you might want to black them out a bit more then.......:thumb:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Okay... take two! After a bit more airbrushing!! ;)

Ahem...Returning to my "non-suspender" pings issue....

I ran WinMTR as V_R suggested and will post one of the results below, where, as you'll see, there is a spike of over 300. I saw one on the in-game meter, which again reached in excess of 700... but didn't manage to record that. Should I mention it as being a bit of a glitch, do you think? Or does this look okay to you?

attachment.php

BTW, Apologies for the blanked out bits, I am only doing that to comply with my ISPs request that we (trialists) don't talk openly about the wholesale provider just yet, until the evaluation is complete. (The previous one was declared a failure, because it was hopeless during the daytime, so this is a new one.) Hope you will understand Your opinions are much appreciated :thumb:

Thanks again for looking :D

Attachments

• WinMTR 6.JPG
    WinMTR 6.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 191
Reaction score
LOL thats better..I find the eraser function in Paint works much better than trying to airbrush things out........:thumb:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Well good news is therre isn;t any packet loss.

But it is spiking around the 4th hop. Which is looking like its on your ISP's network.

The pings to europe at the lower end are fine. So It looks like it maybe network based, which you may not be able to do anything about.

Do Enta still have centrals? Could try moving by rebooting if they do. :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thank you V_R, your assessment is helpful.

No, the new platform being trialled is separate from Enta, so no centrals now. Actually, the speeds and pings have been rather good - except for the "spikey" lag I've been getting in GW. Having said that, when I played last night, it was pretty good, so perhaps things are settling.
:D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Hope it will just be teething issues then and will settle once its all sorted. :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
captain zed said:
Nice,TC very nice
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif

AB...pull yer sock up lad!!

....Well I didn't think you lads should hog all the suspender-pinging fun ...twang.. snap!! :p :lol: :lol:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thank you Cap'n Zed, it's very helpful of you :) I have a feeling that things are settling down again now, because I played for several hours last night, and the game ran smoothly, as it used to :thumb: So hopefully, it was just a temporary hiccup, whilst things were settling down (as V_R suggested.)

Deviating from pings for a moment - I hope you and yours are okay and well away from the flooding? I have a friend who is living on the Emerald Isle, who says it has been quite bad where she is living.
nod.gif

Reaction score
Taffycat said:
Thank you Cap'n Zed, it's very helpful of you :) I have a feeling that things are settling down again now, because I played for several hours last night, and the game ran smoothly, as it used to :thumb: So hopefully, it was just a temporary hiccup, whilst things were settling down (as V_R suggested.)

Deviating from pings for a moment - I hope you and yours are okay and well away from the flooding? I have a friend who is living on the Emerald Isle, who says it has been quite bad where she is living.
nod.gif

you're not deviating at all TC...its p-ing down over here lol......some places are seriously flood.
There was tv coverage in cork last nite and the water was 4 feet high beside the river lee.
But we are safe enough cos we're up a little higher. Thanks for the concern though.

Ask a Question