GW2 7-Day free-trial ... Extended

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Starting tomorrow (27th Sept 2013) a free-trial period of 7 days is being offered, to gamers who fancy trying-out Guild Wars 2.

Imho, this is a little more appropriate than the usual weekend-long trials, which really don't provide sufficient time to fully appreciate the range of content available in this game.

Here's the linky for anyone interested. https://register.guildwars2.com/trial

It's very easy to sign-up and, if you happened to have participated in any of the previous weekend trial, no worries, you can participate in this one too:

If you played in any of our previous free trial events, you’re invited too! Your former free trial account will be active for the August 23-25 event. To prepare, just update your game client by double-clicking the Guild Wars 2 icon on your desktop, or go to https://account.guildwars2.com/ and sign in to download and install the game again!
Hope one or two of you will decide to give it a go - and if you're looking for a good laugh, then roll an Asura! :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Play an Asura ...

... one missing, "/dance" ... :)

:bow:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I may very well give this a go though must confess I wasn't taken with the first one, I wasted money on that. At least a 'demo' gives me a chance to decide whether it's for me or not.

I wonder how big the download is?

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I may very well give this a go though must confess I wasn't taken with the first one, I wasted money on that. At least a 'demo' gives me a chance to decide whether it's for me or not.

I wonder how big the download is?
ANet changed so much when they created GW2, so that folk who were expecting it to be a kind of "expansion" to the original, had quite a surprise - me included! Lol So I think you would likely notice a difference too Flopps - should you decide to give it a go.

Regarding download size - I can't answer definitively, but in the hardware specs, they recommend "25 GB available HDD space." So it's quite a biggie.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hmmmm.... ok, I have plenty of HDD space but only 200Gb bandwidth a month but we're nearing the end of the month and I still have about 80Gb bandwidth left so... overnight methinks.

I went to the link and it seems I still have an account with the Guild Wars site. Luckily I'd noted my password so here we go :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Sounds like you're good to go Flopps. Hope the download goes smoothly. :cheers:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well, just like I found it before, really confusing and complicated. I seem to be downloading the GW2 program but there's no mention of a free trial, twice now they've asked for a password to register the software. Not impressed at all.

AND they've added an icon to my desktop without asking me, that's one thing that really cheeses me off :mad:

Still, it's downloading, we shall see whether this free trial works tomorrow but I'm not hopeful going by their attitude so far.

8582d1380239488-7-day-free-trial-guildwars2messup.jpg

Attachments

• guildwars2messup.JPG
    guildwars2messup.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 358

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Aww :(

When you signed-up for the trial, you used your previous GW details, which sound as if they were accepted. So, as ANet are pretty hot on security, it would be fair to assume they were happy with those details.

My first thought is, bear in mind that the trial doesn't go "live" until about 5 PM this evening. (I just Googled the conversion of 12:01 PDT to BST.)

Log-in attempts ahead of time, can throw-up error-type messages... (I'm recalling the BETA test weekends, which would scarily suggest that "...Sorry, no BETAs are scheduled for your region..." or "...You are not authorised...etc." (I'm paraphrasing, but you get the gist.) They weren't the messages you wanted to see, when you were itching to get a taste of a new game! lol But then, spot-on the appointed time, the nice welcome screen would appear.

I know you're very experienced at game downloads, etc., so please don't be offended if I give you this linky to the (updated) Free Trial Registration notes... Not in any way doubting your ability, but might be worth checking. https://eu.support.guildwars2.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9291

Hopefully, this message will go, once the download is complete and the trial goes live. But if not, I'll be glad to help if I possibly can. (We're popping into the City for dentist appointments later-on this morning, but should be around again later this afternoon.

Oh, and if you're worried about feeling a bit "stuck" in-game, you're welcome to contact me: add Taffy Catt.2784 to your contacts list and "whisper" to message me. (I'm on the Gandara server - messages can be sent across different servers, of course.) Totally your choice.

Anyway, good luck Sir Floppington. I'm sure this can be straightened-out. :nod:

muckshifter

Reaction score
I reside on Piken Square, however, it doesn't matter as we can 'guest' to any server, but I would suggest at least to pick a EU server. :)

We cannot physically help until you at least done the intro 'quest'.

Easy characters to play ... Ranger, Warrior, Guardian ... well, for me they were. Race has no advantage over another race. Human would be the easiest to start with.

Asua are really fun. :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ok, 16.6Gb folder now residing on my games hard disk.

I thought the trial started at midnight on the 27th, not til this evening though eh?

I'm off to the opticians now to collect me new bins, I'll get back to this later today.

Thanks for feedback both of you - appreciated :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I managed to start the trial in the end but I couldn't take part using my main email (gmail) address, I had to create a new account with a different e-mail address. Seems a bit daft to me, my existing account is only for GW1 and if they wanted to attract customers to GW2 you think they'd allow existing GW1 account holders to try it.

I made my home Piken Square (only Medium populated, I note) and chose male Asura necromancer so I'm this funny little geezer looking like a cross between a gremlin and a wooki zapping Golems. It's the tutorial stage apparently and tbh I mostlly haven't got a clue what I'm supposed to do or what the game is all about.

I suppose I should read some online guides and at least browse the game manual but I'm a bit impatient and if I can't grasp a game (or any software come to that) by myself I usually get turned off it.

Still, I have six days left and I'll dip in and out of it and see if I can figure it out. My character name is Spiggy Topes btw and I'm dressed in green and grey, white hair, no hat.

Oh yes, the graphics seem to have improved since GW1 I noticed.

muckshifter

Reaction score
welcome to the greatest game on earth ... ok, maybe not.

You could/can link your GW1 account to GW2, providing you have the Eye of the North expansion ... amazing how many copies of that they sold. :rolleyes:

The game is "open world" and allows you to explore, and discover, areas at your leisure and speed. There are "scouts" (with telescope icons above their heads) on the map that will give you a small insight to the area you are in. Just enough to help point you in the right direction.

Oh, go into options and turn off name-tags for friends, and, turn on name-tags for enemies ... why it's defaulted that way, I dunno ... the 'game' has some really annoying quirks. :)

I can go on and on, but I hate typing these days ... Skype me (pm sent) and I'll assist in anyway you want, especially on the game mechanics.

you can follow your "story" or not as you want, it's the way the game leads you on, to a point.

At least in the "starter" area, it's a little less hectic than in Orr. :lol:

great name choice.

My 'main' is an Asura Necro.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Yay! Glad to hear you were able to get connected Flopps. Yeah, I can see how the e-mail thing would seem like a pain. To be fair though, ANet have tried to discourage folk from using the same passwords/e-mail accounts that they use for other games, etc., in an effort to thwart hackers.

Depending on how you enjoy playing, you're not obliged to stay in the Asuran starter area. If you get bored with having your nether-regions kicked by golems and the Inquest, lol, you can always switch to one of the other starter areas, via the Lion's Arch portal.

Anyway, hope you'll enjoy some good fun with your feisty little guy. :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well I've finally stopped bashing Golems and seem to have a few quests though must admit I still don't really have a feel for what I'm supposed to be doing. Fabulous fantasy world, gotta say, love them creatures, 'specially the frogs.

But... I've barely started and I've already died a thousand deaths :( Now, I don't mind a fair difficulty but it seems to me I just walk a little ways and then I'm button mashing to revive, that fails and then I have to spend 4 currency units to get back to a waypoint. What happens if you die and you have no money - game over?

So, my impressions so far are: Great gameworld, frustrating as hell. Not sure if I wanna lash out 40 quid or whatever for this but I still got five days to go a-wandering.

Oh, difficulty? I've so far spent 233 hours on Borderlands 2, played the main game twice with different characters and now most of the add-ons I purchased. I think I'm addicted to that game. Point I'm making is in Borderlands 2 I die a lot but I keep trying cos it's a lotta fun. In GW2 all I'm trying to do so far is top up some glass cylinders with electricity and I keep getting killed.

muckshifter

Reaction score
mail me in game, lets see what it is you are doing ... the one mechanic I thought I would have a lot of problem with is, kiting. Though my Necro is at the stage it can stand toe-to-toe and easily beat the crap out of most foes, especially 1-on-1.

My Necro Build ... getting to that stage will take a little time.

What weapon you using? the Necro staff #2 skill is a heal, cast it at your feet, the Necro scepter, main-hand and dagger off-hand, are great if you 'keep on the move' a bit.

GW2 is a bit different from, say, WoW and many other MMOs. Hard to explain, it can be great fun once you master a few key mechanics.

:)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I'm sure you'll get some good tips from Mucks.

In addition, not sure if it will be any consolation, but when starting my first Asuran - an elementalist - I too died so much, that I was almost ready to throw the baby out with the bathwater and rage-quit! Lol I love the race, but I'm not so keen on their starter area, which can be a tad confusing when it's totally new to you.

It does get a whole lot easier with subsequent Asuran characters (I now have 4 of that race, the aforementioned ele, Engineer, Warrior and Mesmer.) Besides the Asurans, I have all other races, and each of the professions, within my stable of 12 characters.

Some peeps will claim that armour is not too important until you reach the higher levels. I disagree. I keep armour (and weapons) up-to-date, with drops, crafting and the Trading Post... also karma. (Naturally, it's easier when you have accumulated the mats (and funds you need, so with your very first char, that's not quite so easy.) It really makes a difference though, and lessens the squishiness considerably.

If you need some stronger armour for your level, I don't mind making you some. Just tell me your level and also the four-digit number that is attached to your name, and I'll mail it to you.

Regarding currency to revive, if you completely run out of funds, you can, apparently, still travel to the closest waypoint, for free. I haven't personally done this, but others have.

If you're feeling a bit jaded, it can help to simply roll another character. The human, Norn, Charr, Sylvari and Asura, all have totally different starter areas and storylines. By far, one of the easiest to level, is the human Ranger.

The human starter area is, imho, a lot more straightforward than the Asura area. The Ranger also has the advantage of a pet, which can help quite a bit (particularly in the downed-state; pressing 3, your pet can physically shield you from damage whilst you revive.)

As you have several days left, I would most certainly not just stick with one character experience. To get a real feel for what the game has to offer, I think it would help to at least try other races/professions. Or, if you are unhappy about that, at least go to one of the other starter areas and see how you get on. You can always return to Metrica at any time, it's not desperately important to stick with that one area.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks folks :) What weapon am I using? I have no idea, I just use the mouse to highlight an enemy (which is a bit confusing when you're also using the mouse for direction) then right click away, also doing my best to avoid being hit at the same time.

I've never played an MMO before so I've no idea what to compare this to.

You can have more than 1 character?

There is so much of it, it does seem a littlle confusing.

Nearest games I've played like this are probably The Elder Scrolls Series; Dungeon Siege 1 & 3; The Witcher 1 and Dragon Age II.

Thanks for the armour offer TC, I'll try and find those numbers and work out how to message, honestly, I'm clueless atm, lol

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Ok Flopps, lets see if this will help a bit :)

The four-digit number will have been added to the name you chose at account creation. Do you see "Spiggy Topes.xxxx?" (x Representing the numbers, of course.)

Re more than one character: when you log in, you'll see the screen with your week Asura, ok... so now look at the bottom. You should see your character slots - one of which you've obviously filled.

Click on one of the blank boxes, then looking bottom right, click on "create" and you'll get the options for race/gender/profession etc.

Just out of interest, one of my guildies, has 40 on the go! ...Thought I was bad enough for accumulating a dozen, lol.

Messaging: when you play, look top left of your screen. You should see several symbols. The cog, far left, will allow you to make changes to settings; log out; etc.

The symbol which looks like people (a bit like MSN Messenger symbol) will allow you to add contacts. By adding "Taffy Catt.2784" for example, you could then right click that name, and choose "whisper" which sends a message to me (when I'm online.)

Alternatively, look at the Envelope symbol for in-game e-mail. It's also up top in the same row as the others I've just mentioned. You can send messages (but only rather short ones) to players, regardless of whether they are on or off-line. Btw, it's also quite important to keep an eye on received mails, and regularly delete the ones you get for completing renown hearts. If your box fills up, stuff will not get through to you.

The castle symbol takes you to World Vs World... and the crossed swords will take you to The Mists. (These are the PvP areas, but they can also be handy for free travel to Lions Arch, the main town, but probably no need to concern yourself with that just yet.)

Just shout if you're stuck. I'm sure one of us will be able to help. Problems can usually be sorted.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Oh, nearly forgot. Press "H" to bring up your Hero panel. It will give you all kinds of info about your armour, and which weapon you're using. Could be you haven't swapped the starter wep for a better one yet(?) which would also account for a lot of dying.

muckshifter

Reaction score
The current free trial and sale of Guild Wars 2 will be extended into next week.

The free trial period, which is open to all players in Europe and North America, will continue for an additional three days, now ending Monday, 7th October at 09:00 CEST.

The original seven-day free trial period, which started 27 September, was scheduled to end today.

:)

Ask a Question