GW2 7-Day free-trial ... Extended

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well, sad to say, I've pretty much made my mind up, I don't think this game is for me :(

To be quite honest getting 'You are defeated' flash up every couple of minutes, is no fun at all.

I usually know if I like a game or not, I always want to get into it when I switch the computer on, I could list dozens of examples but lately it's been Borderlands 2, a return to Skyrim (playing the add-ons) and the re-issued and reoptimised for Win 7 game Shadowman.

And as usual CoD's 4 & MW3 online.

Guild Wars 2 just seems too fussy for me, there's absolutely too much to get my head round, a helluva lot of options and menus and if I can't just set out and play without getting kicked up the nether regions every ten seconds then no, not for me.

I will return to it a few more times before the trial expires but I think it unlikely I'll shell out 40 pounds or whatever it costs just for a smack in the mouth ;)

I could buy GTA V for Xbox for £40 after all....

I tried, I tried, was really hoping I'd like it to tell the truth but... :(

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Well, you tried, I'll give you that ... better than my attempt at Skyrim. :D

Oh, and it's only £30.56 at Amazon. :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Flopps, the feelings you have for Borderlands or Skyrim, are probably the same as the ones I had (have) for GW1. At one point, I truly felt that compared to that old favourite, GW2 was a clunker.

Initially, I had a really bad impression of GW2. At one point, I hated it and seriously considered trying to obtain a refund! I felt confused and thoroughly hacked-off with it. (Proof is over on the other GW2 thread. lol.) But once the mechanics began to make sense, my enjoyment changed too.

I'm certainly not of the opinion that everyone should have exactly the same taste in games, that would be daft... but just wondering, as you haven't mentioned....

a) Did you give other races/professions and map regions a try?
b) Did you obtain better armour/weapons as you went along?
c) Did you try teaming up with anyone at all?
d) Is Flopps being a stubborn so-and-so? (Okay, just threw that one in to see whether you're actually reading this, lol.)

All of the above can make a tremendous difference to a newcomer's game experience. It is, after all, a "multi-player" game. Much of the content is indeed possible to solo, but, many players get so much more out of it, when they team-up to explore/quest together - at least at the beginning, until they are more familiar with what they're supposed to be doing.

Plenty of scope to solo when you know what's what. If you team-up with anyone now, it does not mean that you're joined at the hip and must play with them for ever more. It's easy to feel jaded if you're trying to battle the baddies alone at this stage.

For a start, getting "downed" is not so bad if you're with another player, or group, who can either draw some of the fire whilst you heal, or can revive you if you get defeated. It's not even so bad if you happen to be a Ranger, with a pet (as I mentioned previously, the pet can help to deflect damage enabling you recover.) :nod:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Human starter area is, I think, the easiest. Don't have to be a human to do that area.

Ranger, has a pet. Get a bow, screw the bloody axe, Send the pet to attack, cats are good. FIRE! use #1 skill, it's an auto-attack, and, move if you need to, you'll keep shooting. Well, not when you run away. :lol:

If you time it right, dead foe at your feet, Loot!

Move on.

We all have Rangers. :D

offer is still open to 'team' up. :)

Ask a Question