GW2 Game bargain!...but just for this weekend ... again!

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
If the normal cost of purchasing GW2 has held anyone anyone back from giving it a try, for this weekend, the cost is 75% less:

Both versions of the game will be on sale for 75 percent off all weekend. At only £8.75/€9.99 for the standard edition, this is the biggest sale yet for one of the most critically-acclaimed games of all time, and a steal for an MMO that doesn’t charge subscription fees. The 75 percent off discount applies to all editions of the game purchased through buy.guildwars2.com from 17:00 CET (16:00 GMT) on Saturday, 24th January 24 to 08:59 CET (07:59 GMT) on Monday 26th January.
More Here

The beginners' experience has been completely re-jigged over recent months, so it is now very much easier for new players to get started. :)

Last edited:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Must confess for under nine quid I'm tempted. But I got so peeved off last time I tried the free weekend I couldn't be bothered with it. Seemed to get killed each and every time I tried something - frustrating!

But you say, TC, it's improved for beginners? Hmm, it's still nine quid though innit? There again I've wasted a fair few bob on rubbish Steam games so.... I'll think on it, I got til Monday morning.

They're probably offering the game cut price cos they want to sell more expansion packs. Cynical? Moi?

Oddly enough I installed GW1 a few days ago on an XP installation I have, mostly to see whether the game still functioned and my if name and password were still valid. It did and they were, though I haven't played it at all yet.

I did try and sell GW1 at a used games shop but apparently it's worthless as a used item once activated. So I still have it.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Must confess for under nine quid I'm tempted. But I got so peeved off last time I tried the free weekend I couldn't be bothered with it. Seemed to get killed each and every time I tried something - frustrating!

But you say, TC, it's improved for beginners? Hmm, it's still nine quid though innit? There again I've wasted a fair few bob on rubbish Steam games so.... I'll think on it, I got til Monday morning.

They're probably offering the game cut price cos they want to sell more expansion packs. Cynical? Moi?

Oddly enough I installed GW1 a few days ago on an XP installation I have, mostly to see whether the game still functioned and my if name and password were still valid. It did and they were, though I haven't played it at all yet.

I did try and sell GW1 at a used games shop but apparently it's worthless as a used item once activated. So I still have it.
Yes Flopps, a few months ago, a lot of changes were introduced to make the game more new-user-friendly. But I can understand your hesitation, when your first venture into the game wasn't enjoyable. However, you do get a pretty sizeable bang for your buck, particularly at it's current price of £8.75. (And no, I'm not secretly working for ArenaNet! lol.. but I have managed to clock-up a few thousand hours playing it.)

Veterans also get to sample the changes, whenever we create a new character and begin to level it up. The differences are very noticeable. The new player is introduced to various elements of the game, much more gradually - and gently. (I believe, for some of the reasons you cited.)

Imho, the human start/quest area, is probably the easiest to get the hang of. (Each race can access all of the other racial areas too, so as one starts to feel more familiar with the set-up, it's easy enough to travel and explore them.) You also get 5 char-slots to begin with, so again, there is room for experimentation.

*Sigh* Ahh good old GW1, a lot of Gw2 mates still feel nostalgic about it. :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I bought a new account. :blush:

If you want to die with friends, I can accommodate you with that.

Need to pick a server. :lol:

now where the hell are my passwords for my 3 GW1 accounts ... need to check on what everyone got for their birthday last year. :)

EDIT: got a couple nice rare mini's, but main (old acc) has birthday present tokens.

oh, and don't it play well on W7, even after all these years.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Need to pick a server. :lol:

Don't forget we have Megaserver now, so joining a particular server is not so important as it once was... (the exception being, if one is planning to go into WvW.)

So basically, any EU server will do. ;)

muckshifter

Reaction score
yeah, I know 'mega-servers' have a place, but I think I'll probably use Piken Square again, just in case I need to play with myself ... err, I mean, figure out how to play on two accounts at the same time. :)

:cool:

I went with Fissure of Woe ... it only has High population. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ok, I bought this thing and it's installed and running. I went for the de-luxe version or whatever it's called that had some extra goodies, it cost £12.50 which can't be bad eh?

My details had been saved from the time I tried the free wekkend so I was greeted with a screen that said 'You died'. Oh, great, lol, looks like it might be just the same as before. I'm named 'Spiggy Topes' btw, and if you see somebody with that name running around without a clue what to do, that'll be me.

The one and only character I've created and am using so far is an Asura Necromancer I think, little fella with a face like a panda. Looks to me like there's something of a learning curve involved here, I shall take the online tutorial tomorrow and then spend some time getting to try and understand what to do.

Great graphics and setup imo. If, after spending time time with this thing I like it, I'll consider this upcoming expansion but first things first.

Any tips for a character/class that's easy for a beginner? And I don't understand this different server thing. Yet.

muckshifter

Reaction score
err, Necro has a high health pool, but not a quick learning curve ... they are/can be extremely versatile.

I'd, in all honesty, start you off on a Ranger, as a human, with a bow ... you'll get a 'pet' to help you.

To be honest, from what I've seen & done of the 'new' revamped starter zones, pick whatever takes your fancy.

Necro's are my favourite as it happens. My new one is ... Bioligist Drakku ... :)

:cool:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Nice one Sir Flopps, hope you will enjoy yourself.

I'd agree with Mucks about the Ranger being a pretty easy character to begin with. When the "downed skills" are unlocked, they can also help you to stay alive`and revive. Also, you are not tied-into using only bows. As they progress, a Ranger can also choose to use other weapons, such as axes, daggers, sword, torch, warhorn, greatsword.... so it can be very versatile.

I have started new chars in each of the zones (since the re-vamp I mean) and it has made a big difference to the beginner, in each one of them. :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I haven't been in much of a gaming mood lately for some odd reason, so haven't dabbled as yet.

As I'd already played a couple of hours over a year ago and GW2 remembered my former membership, I'm not actually seen as a beginner and I'm re-joining the game where I left off. Trouble is I've forgotten everything, lol

I did browse the online guide but didn't find it very helpful tbh.

I shall have a long session when I get in the right frame of mind, I do actually have a few worries on my mind atm, doing me crust in.

If my Asura Necromancer fella is still problematic, I'll select a different character, Ranger sounds good.

muckshifter

Reaction score
another wee hint ... go to Options and turn off NPC & player names, and turn on enemy names ... there are a few other things in options that will make the game a bit easier to play, take a peek in the key-bind section.

muckshifter

Reaction score
once again ANet have a 'sale' on ... 75% off game price, as above. :)

don't think I'll get, yet, another account. :rolleyes: