Linux gaming in 2019.........a good start.

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Abarbarian, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Abarbarian

Abarbarian Acruncher

Some Linux games we’re excited to see in 2019, a list to keep you going

Whilst technically not a game as such FlightGear can be fun to play with.

Take to the virtual skies with FlightGear

:D

Abarbarian, Jan 6, 2019
    muckshifter likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Abarbarian

Abarbarian Acruncher

132 of the 250 most highly rated games on Steam support Linux, even more when counting Steam Play
    Linux has approximately 1% of the desktop usage figures whereas Windows has approximately 90%.
    So is it not very interesting that a 1 % 'er can play 60% of the most popular games ?

[​IMG]

Abarbarian, Jan 8, 2019
    muckshifter likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Abarbarian

V_R ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Moderator

V_R, Jan 8, 2019
    Becky likes this.
  4. Abarbarian

EvanDavis Silly Fool

Once I am able to pay all my racing sim games on Linux I will make the switch :thumb:

EvanDavis, Jan 8, 2019
  5. Abarbarian

Becky Webmistress Administrator

The top comment makes a good point:

"Mainstream people dont want to adopt linux because its not easy to use and has problems.

Devs dont want to put time into linux because it doesnt have enough mainstream people.

Programmers dont want to improvide linux's useability because most of those who use it can solve problems themselves.

Its a vicious circle. Sad thing is, we can hate on Win10 being crap all we want, but as long as you need to use command line to install drivers for a graphics card, majority of population will not bother even giving Linux a try."

Becky, Jan 8, 2019
  6. Abarbarian

V_R ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Moderator

Exactly. :)

V_R, Jan 9, 2019
  7. Abarbarian

floppybootstomp sugar 'n spikes Moderator

Not totally true, dat, I've rarely had to use a command line within Linux Mint, it's actually as easy to use as using Windows. In fact in some respects it's actually easier to use than Win 10. But Linux Mint is the easiest distro to use so they say which means it's probably frowned upon by some Penguin diehards.

To install Nvidia drivers within Linux Mint I just go to software manager and make a few clicks.

And each game I've played in Linux Mint has worked fine, Steam works well.

I wonder if the developer of Planetary Annihilation is just a bit crap at making games and his dissing of Linux is just incompetence/laziness on his part. Two sides to every story so they say.

I'm neutral in these Linux/Windows wars I just use whatever works for me with the least hassle and if I have to pay for it so be it, that's the way of the world. It's easy to slag off Windows but (for the most part) it works. I'm no fanboy of Microsoft or Linux and I'm certainly not in the school/snob camp that says the harder the Linux distro is to use the better it is.

I'l try anything and tell it how it is and right now I need Windows for several things including gaming. It is good that there are more games working on Linux but it's still not the total solution, I only wish it was.

floppybootstomp, Jan 10, 2019
    Abarbarian likes this.
  8. Abarbarian

Abarbarian Acruncher

Your link takes folk to a page of almost 98% drivel that has nothing to do with the state of popular linux distros today.

The opening reply posted by "Thirteenera" even has made up words in it " improvide ". As usual the replies are full of foul language and half truths and show that the respondents are truly modern folk.

There is one way to see if linux is so hard to install and run.

Take a clean drive and do a fresh install of MINT or MX-18 and time how long it takes to install and get to a working state. Oh and make a note of how many times you need the command line.

Do a fresh install of Windows 7 or 10 and time how long it takes to install and get to a working state.

An experiment like the one above would produce a result based on empiric observation which may even enlighten some misguided folk.
    Sadly the difficulties of using a linux os are myths in todays modern world. A myth that folk still believe in, but then again there are some sad folk who still believe that the world is flat or that Elvis is alive.

:cool:

Abarbarian, Jan 15, 2019
  9. Abarbarian

V_R ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Moderator

That link is to a Reddit thread where the original source (the Twitter post) came from. I only posted it for reference.

I'd say its obvious they mean "improve", They were probably on mobile thus autocorrect/fat fingers etc are probably to blame, also English may not be their first language.

I'm not questioning how long it takes to install Linux vs Windows and frankly I couldn't give a **** either. That isn't the issue being discussed.

While we're here, take a look at the highest upvoted reply to the comment you reference...

and the first link they include...
    I'd also suggest you read the rest of the Twitter conversation where he goes into a little more detail.

Finally i think you mean Empirical not Empiric.

:)

V_R, Jan 15, 2019
  10. Abarbarian

Abarbarian Acruncher

Nope , meant empiric,

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/empiric

As to the other,

https://www.itzgeek.com/how-tos/lin...grate-google-drive-on-linux-mint-19-tara.html

An yes I know I am linking to a 2019 distro. However there are plenty of very detailed simple step by step guides to accomplishing what the person wanted.

In the Twitter thread it seems that there are devs out there willing and able and actually helping out,

an a great deal of the Twitter stuff is in connection with historical events and conditions form around 2014. The world has moved on since then.

[​IMG]

Abarbarian, Jan 15, 2019
    muckshifter and floppybootstomp like this.
  11. Abarbarian

V_R ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Moderator

While I do not want to turn this into an English lesson, I maintain that Empirical is the correct term to use.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?&q=empiric+observation
    https://www.thefreedictionary.com/Empirical+observation
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empirical_evidence

Anyway, the point of my original post was to point out the opinion of a game dev which just happened to be discussing the state of gaming on Linux and the fragmentation and compatibility issues around it at the same time as this thread. Not which OS installs the quickest.

The Reddit thread isn't drivel, it its quite informative if you bother to read it.

Why I bother I don't know...

V_R, Jan 16, 2019
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question