I want to use WindowsXP pro faxing.

Frank Martin

I want to send out faxes directly from my
computer, but I want to receive them with a
printer/fax machine.

I have a HP3100 printer/fax machine which has
been working for many years, but when I
installed the latest WindowsXP pro Media
Centre the direct faxing facility of the
HP3100 just stopped working.

I contacted HP and sent out a special disk to
fix this (and it cost money) but this didn't
work!

So now I want to use the HP3100 with its
dedicated phone line for incomming faxes, but
use the WindowsXP Fax program to fax out
Word3000 and Access3000 documents directly.

Can someone give me a start on how to do
this?

Please help, Frank

Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)

Frank

You will require two separate telephone lines.. line #1 is connected to a
modem controlled by the computer, and any fax sent out contains a telephone
number of line #2, such that any return fax automatically goes to the fax
machine..

Frank Martin

I was afraid this might be the case.

I have two phone lines into the building, #1
for ordinary voice phone use, and the second
for the HP3100 and broadband internet.

Is it possible to use the #1 voice line to
send out (but not receive) faxes via the
computer modem? This would mean an
interruption of voice-phone use for the short
time while the fax is being sent out.

Regards, Frank

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <[email protected]>

Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)

Frank

Yes, that is ok.. as long as you inform the faxee that the line #2 number is
your fax number, all should be ok..

Frank Martin

Many thanks, but now I notice that my new
computer has no free slots because all are
used by a Video card, TV cards, Audio cards,
virtual LPT printer ports, and spare USB2 &
Firewire cards/ports.

Can I plug an ordinary modem into a USB2 or
Firewire port?

Regards, Frank

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <[email protected]>

Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)

Take out one of them that you do not use, and replace with an analogue
modem..

Frank Martin

Thanks, I did this and all is well. I have
used double phone adaptor to parallel the
broadband connection, and so I send faxes via
the computer directly, and receive them via
the HP3100. There was a moment of blind
panic when a connector was faulty - but I
figured it out.

I have bought a "Swann V60" analogue modem
which does the job.

Regards, Frank

PS: Most of my desktop shortcuts have stopped
working though, but I guess it's not related.

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <[email protected]>

Chuck

If you have a "broadband" connection on a phone line, it's likely ADSL or
posssibly ISDN. Both require additional equipment such as a filter to
connect a conventional analog/fax m0dem or fax machine. The phone company
may or may not have supplied the necessary equipment to do this properly.

Earl F. Parrish

Frank Martin said:
I was afraid this might be the case.

I have two phone lines into the building, #1 for ordinary voice
phone use, and the second for the HP3100 and broadband internet.

Is it possible to use the #1 voice line to send out (but not
receive) faxes via the computer modem? This would mean an
interruption of voice-phone use for the short time while the fax
is being sent out.

Regards, Frank
One of the reason why you have to use separate lines is that the
HP3100 fax machine would intercept your outgoing faxes and none
would make it out of the building.

Frank Martin

"Earl F. Parrish" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
message

One of the reason why you have to use
separate lines is that the HP3100 fax
machine would intercept your outgoing faxes
and none would make it out of the building.

Yet it works. Though possibly because the
HP3100 is idle most of the time.