Fax Printer question

Keith Nuttle

I am thinking about getting a new printer and see that most are
printer/scanners/fax.

My question; if I have generated a document in a word processor, do I
first have to print the document, then scan the printed document to fax it.

Or can I access fax directly with out creating a hard copy.

If the direct FAX access is available; Is the direct fax access
generally available or would I have to search for a printer/scanners/fax
that allowed me to print to the Fax modem

GSalisbury

"Keith Nuttle" wrote in message
I am thinking about getting a new printer and see that most are
printer/scanners/fax.

My question; if I have generated a document in a word processor, do I
first have to print the document, then scan the printed document to fax it.

Or can I access fax directly with out creating a hard copy.

If the direct FAX access is available; Is the direct fax access
generally available or would I have to search for a printer/scanners/fax
that allowed me to print to the Fax modem
=================
"do I have to first print?"
No.
Installing the AIO _should_ install a "fax" printer.
A "fax" printer, then, would be available to all
processes/applications/programs ... that offer the Printers list.
You'd prepare your document then simply Print and chose the "fax" printer.
All of this presupposes that you have a telephone land-line plugged into the
machine.
There are internet fax mechanisms available but that's another subject.
Of course, if your document has to be signed, for example, and you don't
have any kind of a legitimate "signature" image to include, then you've have
to print then to sign it and then scan that in for "faxing". Your scanning
software would probably offer the option to scan to the "printer" but you'd
probably be better off scanning to a file so it could be accessed in the
future.
Geo. S.

Keith Nuttle

No. You just print to the FAX device. It will then bring up a dialogue
allowing you to encapsulate what you are printing with a Fax Cover Sheet
and to address the recipient (name, fax numbewr, etc.).
Thank you Dave and Geo. S.

As I understand your response, if I would buy a Printer/Scanner/Fax,
when I install the printer software for the unit, a Print and a FAX icon
would be create on my computer. Once I created the document, I would go
to the normal "print". select the FAX icon and the document would go
directly to the FAX modem of the p/s/f.

In the same p/s/f can I hold a received FAX in the p/s/f memory and
retrieve the electronic document and bring it directly to the Computer?

Keith Nuttle

Receipt is dependent of the device and the software associated with it
and not leaving out if you have one phone line dedicated for fax or two
lines. One for voice and one for fax.

For the most part, if a fax is received by an all-in-one device it will
usually just print the received fax and not store or queue them. Of
course as the you move from SOHO all-in-one to business class devices
that capability becomes more common.
You have just increase my knowledge of printer/scanner/fax but several
hundred percent

Thanks to all who responded.