Windows Vista I Cant send emails - I can only receive them - office XP on Vista machine

Reaction score
Hi

I have installed office XP on my Vista machine. Everything went fine and I followed all the steps in the setup and got the pop and smtp correct, but it won't send a test message and says "Unable to send the message. Please verify the e-mail address in your account"

I have done most of what the advise colums have told other people with the same problems, but it doesn't say if they are running the software on XP machines or not!

Well I am sure the email address is ok as both myself and the husband have looked at it and retyped it in a few times to make sure and I have even rebooted a couple of times! Then I started from scratch and have made sure the outgoing server is authenticated! (apparantly that is one of the main problems - so I double checked that one!!)

I went to my server and checked the settings to allow pop mail.
What more could I possibly do, do you think?

Also I need the answer to be really idiot-proof, as that is wot I am when it comes to PCs :confused:

Reaction score
Also I have disabled my anti virus email settings,and checked the port settings on my server (virginmedia - which I believe has started to use GMail system??)
MMMM?

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
There are many links that reference issues with Outlook and Vista in this configuration.

http://forums.techarena.in/ms-office-support/694909.htm
http://forums.techguy.org/business-applications/554322-office-xp-vista.html
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20080520/news_1b20windows.html

This all depends on proper settings. First, find out if you have the correct settings. Email provider, server names (ex: mail.mailserver.com), ports of use (POP3 uses 110 by default, SMTP 25). Once you know that these are correct, you should be able to proceed properly

Try to configure the account without sending a test. Input the information as you normally would, ensuring everything to be correct. Then test send/recieve. If they use GMail, then you could log into GMail using your user/password information and check the "behind the scenes." You should be able to see the message appear in GMail as well as Outlook. Try sending from your own account to yourself. In outlook, create new mail to yourself. Press some keys on the keyboard to indicate a message body and subject. Number the subject lines. Example: MSG1, MSG2, etc. It will help you keep track of what you have done.

Another way is to create a GMail account of your own. Use that to send to the address in question. GMail to Gmail sending is quick, so you can troubleshoot very easily.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I Glenys,av encountered dis type of problem wit 1 of my users b4,but hes own was quite different,he could not send nor receive,i trouble shooted till i found out dat he was using 2 antiviruses which hapened to av blocked d port,but from d way u r saying it,it"s like u could receive,but u cant send.av u checked d setting if it is on use same setting as incomiing mail sever,if u av done dat & it's still d same,den u av to reconfigure ur account,but make sure d user name & password are typed correctly.

Ask a Question