Am I disturbing a machine in production floor if I access its database remotely?

Reaction score
Hi,

I am trying to remotely access the database of a barcoder-machine...
People say your attempt to remotely access the database may adversely effect the barcoder machine's performance such as it may start printing garbage charcters etc....

I don't believe this....my view is that when i send a query to the remote database, SQL Server should manage it efficiently...i.e putting my query on hold till the on-going local process (if any) concludes...and my query gets executed ASAP without conflicting with the machine's ongoing activity....

I look forward to experts opinion .... or let know if I you need any clarification.

Thank you

Abraham Andres Luna

Child of God
Reaction score
Hello, I think we need a little bit more information. What make and model is the barcode-machine? And what OS does it have installed? Are you sure it's designed to accept incoming queries and then delivering database records?

Reaction score
We mahe in-house /homemade unbranded barcoding machines fitted with hi end laptop with windows 10 and sql server 2012 ....machine software during barcoding updates sql server.... I have got remote access to the machine DB sql server... Using c# and ssms I execute my sql queries to fetch the daily production report and related information. It's all what we are successfully doing... But somebody has raised an objection that he thinks remotely accessing the machine at the time when it's performing barcoding might have bad effects....i wonder why should it be?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If it's an in-house machine, I think the only way to find out would be to test it and see what happens. I can't imagine it would adversely affect performance unless you make any locking queries. How big is the DB?

Ask a Question