(HTML) Error 720: your computer and the remote could not agree on PPP control protocols

Michel Merlin

(HTML) Error 720: your computer and the remote could not agree on PPP control protocolsThe involved PC has W2KSP4 (Windows 2000 SP4), and the involved connection is named "Versailles ===» Free.fr".

I can no more connect through Dial-up; when double-clicking my connection ("Start > Settings > Network and Dial-up Connections > Versailles ===» Free.fr") the normal behavior first goes normal:
a.. a "Connect Versailles ===» Free.fr" window opens, in which I click "Dial"
b.. a "Connecting Versailles ===» Free.fr" windowlet opens, in which the normal series of messages are displayed one after the other:
a.. Dialing 08 xxxx xxxx...
b.. Verifying username and password...
c.. Registering your computer on the network...
but after 2 or 3 sec, that last windowlet gets replaced with a slightly larger one:
Error Connecting to Versailles ===» Free.fr

! Registering your computer on the network...

Error 720: The connection attempt failed because your computer and the remote computer could not agree on PPP control protocols.

Redial = 30 Cancel More Info

The "30" counts down (seconds) and when it has reached 0, the process starts again from dialing the number.

Unfortunately I can't check my protocols, due to another error (see message "other Network property sheets are already open" in Network Connections, even after reboot! posted Thu 17 May 2007 16:07:20 GMT on this same newsgroup).

Anyone knows where this error comes from, and how I can fix it? TIA,

Versailles, Thu 7 Jun 2007 13:04:20 +0200

Michel Merlin

(This message was 1st posted in HTML, see "Parent Message" at bottom)

The involved PC has W2KSP4 (Windows 2000 SP4), and the involved connection is named "Versailles ===» Free.fr".

I can no more connect through Dial-up; when double-clicking my connection ("Start > Settings > Network and Dial-up Connections > Versailles ===» Free.fr") the normal behavior first goes normal:

- a "Connect Versailles ===» Free.fr" window opens, in which I click "Dial"
- a "Connecting Versailles ===» Free.fr" windowlet opens, in which the normal series of messages are displayed one after the other:

- Dialing 08 xxxx xxxx...

|___________________________________________________________

| ! Registering your computer on the network...
|
| Error 720: The connection attempt failed
| because your computer and the remote computer
| could not agree on PPP control protocols.

| | Redial = 30 | | Cancel | | More Info |
|___________________________________________________________

The "30" counts down (seconds) and when it has reached 0, the process starts again from dialing the number.

Unfortunately I can't check my protocols, due to another error (see message news://msnews.microsoft.com/[email protected] « "other Network property sheets are already open" in Network Connections, even after reboot! » posted Thu 17 May 2007 16:07:20 GMT on this same newsgroup).

Anyone knows where this error comes from, and how I can fix it? TIA,

Versailles, Thu 7 Jun 2007 13:15:15 +0200

----- Parent Message (HTML) -----
The involved PC has W2KSP4 (Windows 2000 SP4), and the involved connection is named "Versailles ===» Free.fr".

I can no more connect through Dial-up...

Michel Merlin

Seven hours later, the connection went normally. This may be a problem on the ISP end, even if that ISP is usually reliable. But I think it was more likely fixed by the fix I reported in message news://msnews.microsoft.com/%[email protected] « [SOLVED (for good)] "other Network property sheets are already open" in Network Connections, even after reboot! » posted Thu 7 Jun 2007 23:45:10 GMT.

Versailles, Fri 8 Jun 2007 01:51:20 +0200

----- Parent Message (links are clickable) -----
From: "Michel Merlin" <[email protected]>
Newsgroup: news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.win2000.networking
Message: Sent: Thu 7 Jun 2007 13:15:15 +0200 (11:15:15 GMT)

----- Parent Message (was in HTML - links are clickable) -----