Hp Scanjet Conspiracy?

kel

Reaction score
I have just recently come across this problem myself. I have had a HP SCANJET 6200C for a while now, mostly it sat on a shelf collecting dust, till I had a need for it and plugged it in to my girlfriends COMPAQ XP SP1 (at the time) laptop and was amased that it instantly recognised/detected the scanner. I then later connected it to a desktop that has XP SP2 installed and had the same result...no problems. Scanned away happily....Till only recently, I was amazed when I suddenly discovered that the TWAIN SOURCE had dissappeared from the desktop. IT NO LONGER RECOGNISES THE SCANNER!!?? This desktop is not connected to the internet or any network, and has not been updated in a while, although it does run XP SP2, which is an update, that was quite a while ago. So I am confused too. In an attempt to debug the situation, I then connected the scanner to the aforementioned laptop , this was post an XP SP2 UPDATE! Lo and behold, it no longer recognised the scanner either!
this is the most annoying pc problem i have EVER had
mad.gif
YOU CAN SAY THAT AGAIN! Along with about every other HP SCANNER user that I came across that night in a furious attempt to find out more on the net. I bundled into a HP site forum and found about 200 cases of the same incident with no major response from HP!!
I also came across some nickname for the update HP provides on their site: "DEATH DRIVER"!! The rumour (I dont know how true it is!) is that the drivers that they provide as an update on their site actually kill the USB port on the scanner!!
SCARED? Today, in a mad attempt to scan an image I needed to alter for a company, I got a friend to bring their laptop around, as I knew it hadn't been updated recently.Guess what? IT WORKED FINE! FOR ABOUT 2 SCANS (luckily I saved them knowing how unreliable this system now is) and then the laptop suddenly stopped recognising the TWAIN source again!! This is really scary, and all sorts of conspiracy stuff comes to mind. Any answers anyone out there?? I KNOW THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS SCANNER!

Reaction score
As I recall that happened to me about 2 years ago, and guess what I have not or ever will purchase HEWLLETT PACKARD again.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i've had trouble with mine but i've managed to keep it working most of the time

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I had an HP SCanner about five years ago and no, I wasn't impressed with it. I've found Canon Scanners to be very good though.

On the other hand, I prefer HP printers to any other make.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
itsme said:
The only good thing with HP on it is a bottle! [Sauce]

Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear oh dear. Blind brand loyalty.

A little like Nvidia vs ATI. It's the product that counts.

HP Printers have given me best quality results ever, and I've owned a fair few printers. I think it was a 3200 HP scanner I had, maybe a 6200, can't remember, poor quality and wouldn't work well with XP.

So, there ya go, scorn and praise for one manufacturer in one post.

Common sense rules ;)

kel

Reaction score
Lets expand on this, what if a company really needed tosell new products but couldn't reach their sales quota due to their old products not malfunctioning. Is it plausible that a company could consider developing a techno glitch bug to render the old technology useless and therefore forcing consumers to purchase the latest technology???
Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean you ain't being bugged!

Ask a Question