How to get sound via headphones from CD-ROM

Barb

Dumb question, but how do I hook up a very simple headphone set to my
computer in order to listen to an audio CD without it coming through the
desk speakers? Have tried plugging the jack(?) into the CD-ROM, and have
checked all the sound settings to make sure nothing is muted. The sound
still comes through the desk speakers. Any suggestions?

madmax

Barb said:
Dumb question, but how do I hook up a very simple headphone set to my
computer in order to listen to an audio CD without it coming through the
desk speakers? Have tried plugging the jack(?) into the CD-ROM, and have
checked all the sound settings to make sure nothing is muted. The sound
still comes through the desk speakers. Any suggestions?
use the play button on the cd-rom itself
-max

--
Programs that I use and recommend (all are free)
Many thanks to all the people who make these fine products!
Spybot Search and Destroy 1.3
http://www.safer-networking.org/
Spyware Blaster
Spyware Guard
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html
Ad-Aware
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
Sygate Personal Firewall
http://soho.sygate.com/products/spf_standard.htm
Avast! For Home
Eraser 5.3
http://www.tolvanen.com/eraser/
CwShredder
HijackThis
http://www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html
Thunderbird
Firefox

This message is virus free as far I can tell
Change nomail.afraid.org to neo.rr.com so you can reply
Use in Usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

Barb

Thanks, Max. I'm not quite sure what you mean about "the Play button on the
cd-rom itself." I have two drives, one has only one button, which opens and
shuts the drive, the other has two buttons, open/shut and play, but when the
play button is activated, the sound still comes from the desk speakers, even
though I have a headphone set attached to the cd-rom.

Frustration!
Barb

*Vanguard*

Barb said in news:qY8zc.19187$Hg2.12503@attbi_s04:
Dumb question, but how do I hook up a very simple headphone set to my
computer in order to listen to an audio CD without it coming through
the desk speakers? Have tried plugging the jack(?) into the CD-ROM,
and have checked all the sound settings to make sure nothing is
muted. The sound still comes through the desk speakers. Any
suggestions?

Mute the speakers (use the tray icon). Plug the headphones into the
jack on the CD drive. Rotate the volume wheel on the CD drive to the
desired sound level.

open the case and see if you have a sound cable coming from the back of the cd-rom to the motherboard if not that is why the sound doesnt work, through the headphones i only found out the other day when i opened mine to install a dvd-rw
hope this helps
dan

Barb, if none of the responses to your post work, it may be because you have
a Dell PC. Dell reroutes the headset output to behind the flap on the front of
your PC. Lift it up and you'll see a headphone jack and two USB ports. It should
work there.