How to disable thumbnail view in folders?

G

I have very large .jpg and .tif images in some folders. When these folders are opened in Word or other applications, sometimes this defaults to "thumbnail view". This takes FOREVER since apparently windows explorer tries to render a preview for every image in the folder

Does anyone know how to simply disable "thumbnail view" so I don't have this problem?

A

Andy

Open your folder. Click view and select anything other
than thumbnail.
-----Original Message-----
I have very large .jpg and .tif images in some folders.
When these folders are opened in Word or other
applications, sometimes this defaults to "thumbnail
view". This takes FOREVER since apparently windows
explorer tries to render a preview for every image in the
folder.

G

I'm referring to when Microsoft Office (or other applications) by default open a folder with images (such as "my pictures"). Of course I try to switch to another view, but as I said below, since Office defaulted to an image-containing folder and defaulted to 'thumbnail view', it takes a long time before the system will even let me change the view. As soon as the folder opens, its like windows explorer is trying to generate a preview of some of the 50MB images in that folde

Thumbnail view (or the preview pane) must have the capability of being disabled somewhere

----- Andy wrote: ----

Open your folder. Click view and select anything other
than thumbnail
-----Original Message----
I have very large .jpg and .tif images in some folders.
When these folders are opened in Word or other
applications, sometimes this defaults to "thumbnail
view". This takes FOREVER since apparently windows
explorer tries to render a preview for every image in the
folder

G

George Hester

Sure you can break it. It is in the registry. Let's concern ourselves with jpg files. Navigate to this key in Start | Run | regedit | OK

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}

Back up this key and then delete it. Now you have no image preview of jpgs.

Ask a Question