How Do You De-activate a Windows XP Home Product Key?

Ross

After moving a Windows XP Home Edition installation to
different hardware, how do you get the old system
configuration "de-activated" in order to get the product
key activated for the new system hardware configuration?
The article, "Q314070 - How to Move a Windows XP
Installation to Different Hardware" appears to no longer
exist on Microsoft.Com.

Len Segal

Ross,

If you had an OEM version of WinXP, then you don't move the OS. It is
legally bound to the first system it was installed upon. You can upgrade the
hardware in place and continue using the OEM version of WinXP legally.

If you have a retail version of WinXP, you uninstall it (or FDisk/Format the
HDD) on the original system. Install it on the new system and if required,
make a toll-free phone call to explain what you did and get a new activation
key. This is a 5 minute process.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

How do I "deactivate", move to another computer, or sell a previously activated XP?
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#how2

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Ross" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message:

| After moving a Windows XP Home Edition installation to
| different hardware, how do you get the old system
| configuration "de-activated" in order to get the product
| key activated for the new system hardware configuration?
| The article, "Q314070 - How to Move a Windows XP
| Installation to Different Hardware" appears to no longer
| exist on Microsoft.Com.

Ross

Thanks for the pointer, but the person that answered the
toll-free call implied that there was a procedure that
would somehow notify Microsoft that the old system
was "deactivated".

BTW, what is this three day grace period about? Is it
three days after the first systam has been uninstalled,
the second system can be activated? The idea of a grace
period in this situation make no sense to me.

--------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------

"Ross" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message:

| After moving a Windows XP Home Edition installation to
| different hardware, how do you get the old system
| configuration "de-activated" in order to get the product
| key activated for the new system hardware configuration?
| The article, "Q314070 - How to Move a Windows XP
| Installation to Different Hardware" appears to no longer
| exist on Microsoft.Com.
.

Len Segal

Ross,

There is no way that MS gets "notified" if an OS is removed from service.
Whoever told you that was incorrect.

Three day grace period gives you three days to activate it before it stops
working. Three days after you do the installation.

Len Segal, MCP
Microsoft - MVP
My reply address is intentionally wrong to reduce SPAM Email.
NOTE: We do not respond to unsolicited Email support questions,
please post questions in newsgroup.

.