How do I link up Pc and Laptop

Reaction score
Hi Everyone
I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to explain to me if its possible to link up my laptop and pc together to use the one internet connection. I'm a bit thick when it comes to Computers so if someone could explain in simple terms that would be great. At the moment I've got a pc running AOL Broadband Silver, but my other half is always on it playing Swat online. I would love to be able to surf the net on his laptop while he's hogging my PC. It would make a much friendly household to live in, if you know what I mean. I haven't got any internet package on the Laptop and I dont want to pay for a seperate package so if anyone can help me i would be most grateful.
P.S if anyone plays Swat online, next time u come across Sly stick a bullet in his head for me. Thanks :blush:)

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
what sort of connection do you have ? what sort of modem do you use, USB ?

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
ok that means you have two options, you can either connect the laptop to the PC via a crossover cable which will be the simplest but will mean that the PC has to be on to use the internet, or you can get a router/modem and connect both to that and use the internet on either

if you only want to use it when he's on your PC then the crossover is the cheapest option and easiest

first your going to need a LAN port on each of them which you should if they're are reasonably new, then your going to need to pick up a crossover cable it must be a crossover not a patch, then connect them together and run the network wizard on both machines

Reaction score
Ok that sounds easy enough, I'll give it a go. I've got a patch cable already I think, which we use to link them up to play against each other so I'll invest in a crossover cable. Thanks for your help. Will I need to stick the Aol software on My laptop or can I just have Google or something as my homepage.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
sarahmtly said:
Will I need to stick the Aol software on My laptop or can I just have Google or something as my homepage.

Along as the primary PC is connected to the internet via the AOL software, you can use whatever browser you want on your laptop.

Ask a Question