HID Input Service Fails to Start

J

John Smith

The HID Input Service can no longer start on my computer. It returns
an error stating that "the system cannot find the file specified".

I am not sure what would cause this, as I have not made any
modifications to my computer (WinXP Pro SP2). Can someone shed some
light on this issue?

Thanks you!

J

Jay

Is the RPC service enabled on this PC?
Wouldn't quite fit with the "can't find file" error but may be worth a look.
It is a dependency of the HID

Jay

K

Kelly

Hi John,

See if this helps:

The following error will occur if any of the three files (hidserv.dll,
mouhid.sys and mouclass.sys) are missing.

Could not start the Human Interface Device Access service on Local
Computer. Error 126: the specified module could not be found

Extract hidserv.dll, mouhid.sys and mouclass.sys from drivers.cab in the
Windows XP CD to "<Systemroot>\Windows\System32\" to fix the issue.

1.Insert Windows XP Setup CD.
2.Browse to <CD-ROM>:\i386\drivers.cab
3.Double click the drivers.cab file. The compressed files in the Cab file
will be listed.
4.Copy the three files to <SystemRoot>\windows\system32\. Reboot the
computer.

The Human Interface Device Access service will then be started.

/taskbarplus!.htm

J

John Smith

Those files are available on my computer, but it could be they are
corrupted.....

:Hi John,
:
:See if this helps:
:
:The following error will occur if any of the three files (hidserv.dll,
:mouhid.sys and mouclass.sys) are missing.
:
:Could not start the Human Interface Device Access service on Local
:Computer. Error 126: the specified module could not be found
:
:Extract hidserv.dll, mouhid.sys and mouclass.sys from drivers.cab in the
:Windows XP CD to "<Systemroot>\Windows\System32\" to fix the issue.
:
:1.Insert Windows XP Setup CD.
:2.Browse to <CD-ROM>:\i386\drivers.cab
:3.Double click the drivers.cab file. The compressed files in the Cab file
:will be listed.
:4.Copy the three files to <SystemRoot>\windows\system32\. Reboot the
:computer.
:
:The Human Interface Device Access service will then be started.

J

John Smith

I tried this, but it still did not solve the problem :(

:Hi John,
:
:See if this helps:
:
:The following error will occur if any of the three files (hidserv.dll,
:mouhid.sys and mouclass.sys) are missing.
:
:Could not start the Human Interface Device Access service on Local
:Computer. Error 126: the specified module could not be found
:
:Extract hidserv.dll, mouhid.sys and mouclass.sys from drivers.cab in the
:Windows XP CD to "<Systemroot>\Windows\System32\" to fix the issue.
:
:1.Insert Windows XP Setup CD.
:2.Browse to <CD-ROM>:\i386\drivers.cab
:3.Double click the drivers.cab file. The compressed files in the Cab file
:will be listed.
:4.Copy the three files to <SystemRoot>\windows\system32\. Reboot the
:computer.
:
:The Human Interface Device Access service will then be started.

Reaction score
I had the 126 module not found problem and tried everything without success, until I found a solution for my case, the value of the registry key had an empty space before the actual data, wrong value: " %SystemRoot%\System32\hidserv.dll" and the correct value should have been " %SystemRoot%\System32\hidserv.dll" that's why the system couldn't find the .dll, I have no idea how that happened since it was working fine and then stopped, I guess it's just Microsh*t for a change.

Reaction score
Hoooray !

OscarVW said:
I had the 126 module not found problem and tried everything without success, until I found a solution for my case, the value of the registry key had an empty space before the actual data, wrong value: " %SystemRoot%\System32\hidserv.dll" and the correct value should have been " %SystemRoot%\System32\hidserv.dll" that's why the system couldn't find the .dll, I have no idea how that happened since it was working fine and then stopped, I guess it's just Microsh*t for a change.

You have good eyes to see that tiny empty space !! Fixed my problem.

What's really fun is the fact that the original date on this thread goes back to 2004 - you finally nailed it six years later.

Unbelievable

Thanks !

Reaction score
You,sir, are awesome

OscarVW said:

I just created an account so I could thank you for following up with a solution that worked for you . . . 6 years after this thread started. Like the user above me, your solution fixed my problem too. How did you see that empty space!?!?!

Anyway, just wanted to thank you because none of Microsoft's solutions were working for me and your did!

If anyone is reading this and having the same problem, don't hesitate to check your registry for that extra space (and reboot). It worked for me and now my keyboard is fully functional!

Good karma for you!

Reaction score
OscarVW is a star!!

I had the same problem of hidserv.dll service not starting with the symptom that my MS multimedia keyboard (Comfort Curve 2000) keys did not do what they were meant to do. I had previously used the keyboard for 12 months and then, suddenly, a few weeks ago, I lost the use of the mute/vol buttons.

I couldn't understand why e.g. the play/pause and "calculator" buttons worked but the sound mute volume up/down didn't. I had tried everything put up by Microsoft with no result and was about to give up and buy a new keyboard when I came across this thread.

Like the previous poster, I don't know how OscarVW found the problem but I am glad that he did as removing that space in the HIDSERV registry key did the job! Of course, that raises the question of where the space came from in the first place. With it happening a number of times, I get a feeling that there is a bug somewhere in one of the recent XP upgrade files but, who cares, it works now!

Thanks again OscarVW, you are a star ***

Reaction score
OscarVW said:

I signed up to this forum just to say thanks to Oscar :) because now functions for volume,mute etc work :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
How do you fix this?

Can someone give a step by step way to fix this problem? I don't get what was the actually solution.

Reaction score
1. click the windows button
2. click start
3. type "regedit" (without quotes") and hit enter

4. go to the following key:

HKEY LOCAL_MACHINE
-SYSTEM
--CurrentControlSet
---Services
----HidServ
-----Parameters

(be sure you are in CurrentControlSet and not ControlSet001 or 002 etc.)

5. double-click on the key named "ServiceDll"
6. remove the space at the begining of the value string (before the 1st "%")
7. reboot

Volume control on keyboard should now work :)

tip: before editing the ServiceDll key, you can right click on it and click "edit binary". If the first values are 20 00 25 00 etc. then you are editing the right key. After the space is removed, the binary should show: 25 00 etc. (20 00 was the space)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Or, simply save the following as a text file, give it a suffix of .reg instead of .txt and then double click it (Administrator rights may be necessary):

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\HidServ\Parameters]
"ServiceDll"=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,\ 00,74,00,25,00,5c,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,\ 68,00,69,00,64,00,73,00,65,00,72,00,76,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,00,00
"Type"=dword:00000020

Ask a Question