Windows XP HELP - XP Problem

Reaction score
When attempting to boot my Windows XP Pro, IBM Laptop I get an error that reads could not start because the following file is missing: <WINDOWS ROOT> \sytem32\hal.dll Please reinstall a copy of the above file.

I have done the following:

I boot with a Windows XP disk and enter the Recovery Console. When doing so, it does not prompt me for an admin password and automatically enters to a c:\

I attempt to run bootcfg /rebuild and get an error stating that it can't complete the scan for windows installations that could be caused by corrupt file system and recommends to run chkdsk.

I have run chkdsk /r a couple of times and it tells me that I have some irrecoverable errors

When attempting to expand the hal.dll from the disk I get an access denied error message. From the C:\ when I simply type cd windows , I get and access denied message.

I have attemted to change the allowallpaths of the recovery console with the set command and have been denied because the set command is disabled without being logged into the admin which I never get a chance to do.

HELP???

Ask a Question