Windows XP Autochk.exe full path help or fix

Reaction score
Hello, I'm currently using a tower computer that I bought off a friend, and it runs Windows XP. I'm unsure on what SP it is, and I don't know if its professional or not. Recently, I had the "Unmountable Boot Volume" error, and I burned myself a recovery disk to fix it. When I enter "Chkdsk /r", it pauses for a second before asking for the full path and drive letter for Autochk.exe. Any fixes for this?

Reaction score
try ... chkdsk C: /r

what do you mean by SP?

:user:
Okay, tried that and got the same "Full path of Autochk.exe" message.

By SP I mean like SP1, SP2, or SP3. I don't know exactly what it is, but I'm assuming it has to do with updates and such on the OS. I've heard it thrown around a lot while searching for a fix.

Reaction score
Alright, I read the link you posted, and right at step 5 is where I can't go on. I can't do chkdsk /r because Autochk is nowhere to be found. I've tried C:/Windows/System32 and C:/Windows and C:/System32 and they all say Autochk.exe isnt there. Is there some way to put Autochk.exe onto my burnt recovery disk, or anything of that sort?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
you'll need a genuine bootable XP installation CD ... I cannot recommend any 'download .exe site' and I don't know if MS still have XP support for such files.

:user:

Ask a Question