HELP: Where/what to buy.....

Reaction score
After the mishap witht he 1GB memory, I have decided to bite teh bullet and get a whole new system!

Currently running...
P4 Celeron 2.7mhz
GeForce FX5200 PCI
256mb DDR
19" TFT
80GB HD
D845GVSR motherboard
2.2 Meg broadband Connection
DVD writer

You get the idea!

Overall system performance isnt bad, although can be sluggish when asked to multitask.

Just started playing on-line games like ET, so am looking for something fairly powerful, and relatively cheap.

Must haves are....

512mb ram
Powerfull graphics card

As with regards processors, since 2001 I have no idea about them! Are the AMD still better for gaming?

Now the interesteing part.Looking to spend £300ish max, looked on fleabay but lost about processor choice. Whats an AMD Ssempon?

I intend to keep my monitor, keyboard, speakers, etc, so just really want teh case and the contents.

What are the current must haves/ requiorements, etc. Would someone point me in the right direction for a good value system........

All views are most welcome!

Thanks

Reaction score
well you need a whole new system for £300 ... thats gonna be hard!

what motherboard do you have atm. because i dont get all them numbers and letters ? because £300 is hard dude !!

You could buy another 512MB of ram and a new graphics card maybe a 9800pro or 6600GT

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
as G~man said a whole system for £300 is doable but hard

i just looked up your motherbaord and according to the specs it should support 2GB of memory so im not sure of the problem exactly :confused:, also a new graphics card will be useless due to the fact you dont have an AGP slot

the semprons are like the intel celerons, there budget CPU's but have reasonable performance

Reaction score

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
the semprons are like the intel celerons, there budget CPU's but have reasonable performance ...
NO, a Sempron is nothing like a Celeron, please don't insult AMD :rolleyes:

A Duron is like a Celeron, and still is, even with Intels new Celerons.

A Sempron is the old T'bird/T'bred XP chip with a new dia but has a smaller cache ... but not a good idea for a 'gaming' system.

You won't get a "GOOD" system ... cheap.

You need a paper round ... ;)

Reaction score
Yeah I know, but its got to be better than the Celeron thing I'm running with a 12k cache!

Muckshifter, care to point out some decent budget systems?

muckshifter

Reaction score
carbolicsmokeball said:
Yeah I know, but its got to be better than the Celeron thing I'm running with a 12k cache!

Muckshifter, care to point out some decent budget systems?
Yes, a Sempron is better than a Celeron.

Nope! I don't do Budget.

If you wan't a decent PC, you'll need around £500-£700 ;)

But your more than welcom to post any findings, apart from Ebay, and we'll rip them to pieces for you. :D

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
NO, a Sempron is nothing like a Celeron, please don't insult AMD :rolleyes:

A Duron is like a Celeron, and still is, even with Intels new Celerons.

A Sempron is the old T'bird/T'bred XP chip with a new dia but has a smaller cache ... but not a good idea for a 'gaming' system.

You won't get a "GOOD" system ... cheap.

You need a paper round ... ;)

sorry mucks :blush: , i was trying to use it as a comparison, i dont know much about semprons and celerons etc only that they are cheap

muckshifter

Reaction score
Wasn't 'picking' on you ME ... mearly correcting a mistake ... :D

If you are looking at saving a few coppers and not too heavily into games, a Sempron, upper end ;) will help out ... but at least get a MB that can take a better CPU later.

They make 64bit Semprons now as well. :thumb:

Does Intel make 64 bit Celerons? :D :D :D