Spec check for new pc ????

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Hi I want to replace mu loverly slow pc but don't have lots of loot . Would like to play some games , not the very latest ones . Do some digital photography stuff. Web surf and just fairly ordinary pc stuff . Would the pc below do all this . It seems as though I could upgrade it over time to improve the specs . What do you think folks .

AMD SEMPRON 64 BIT 3000+ CPU

AMD brings you the AMD Sempron™ 64 processor, with AMD64 technology for dramatically higher performance and built-in support for future 64-bit applications - even 32 and 64-bit simultaneous computing.

Maximize system efficiency and stay ahead of the curve with the technically superior PC processor, packed with advances such as HyperTransport™ technology, an integrated DDR memory controller, Cool'n'Quiet™ and Enhanced Virus Protection for Microsoft® Windows® XP SP2. Whether its for gaming (with the release of Far Cry 64bit , Chronicles of Riddick, Shadow ops and others), Office work or Internet Use, the flexibilty of the AMD64 Bit Processor which runs all your current applications and software and has the ability to step up a gear when running future 64bit software gives you flexibility for today and for tomorrow.

Important Note: You may see systems elsewhere on EBay calling themselves 3200Pro or 3600Pro and so on. These systems are based on slower processors which have been overclocked.

Make no mistake - our systems use only genuine AMD processors running at ther correct clock speeds.
SIS 2D / 3D INTEGRATED GRAPHICS WITH 128MB SHARED MEMORY

FEATURING:

DIRECTX 8.1 COMPATIBILITY

128MB SHARED SYSTEM MEMORY FOR GRAPHICS

FUTURE UPGRADEABILITY VIA 8X AGP PORT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

512 MB PC3200 DDR RAM

Even the most powerful processors are useless if you don't have enough RAM. Double Data Rate (DDR) RAM works twice as fast as Single Data Rate (SD) Ram.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ASUS K8S-MX MOTHERBOARD
ASUS, one of the top solution providers of AMD platforms and graphics cards, as always, brings one of the best motherboards in this range.

Today, the ASUS K8S-MX delivers a powerful and solid foundation to this package. The K8S-MX Supports AMD Athlon64 and AMD Sempron processors. With quality graphics right out of the box and advanced features such as SATA, 6-channel audio and 10/100 LAN, the K8S-MX is a value-rich all-in-one motherboard.

The K8S-MX delivers powerful integrated 2D and 3D graphics performance for functionality and value.

Serial ATA is the next generation ATA specification that provides scalable performance for today and tomorrow. With up to 150MB/s data transfer rate, Serial ATA is faster than current Parallel ATA, while providing 100% software compatibility.

The SoundMAX Digital Audio System is the industry's highest performance and most reliable audio solution for business professionals, audiophiles, musicians, and gamers. SoundMAX Digital Audio System can output 5.1 channel surround sound and features state-of-the-art DLS2 MIDI synthesizer and supports all major game audio technologies.

The K8S-MX's S/PDIF out function turns your computer into a high-end entertainment system with digital connectivity to powerful speaker systems.

ASUS C.O.P. (CPU Overheating Protection) is a hardware protection circuit that automatically shuts down the system power before temperatures go high enough to permanently damage our CPU.

Features at a glance:

*2 Memory Slots with DDR400 Support *8X AGP Port *SATA Support *USB2.0 * Onboard LAN *5.1 Channel Sound *2 PCI Slots *1 PCI-E x 1 Slot

The pc comes with 80Gb Hard drive , DVD Dual Layer Rw, and the case has screwless expasion slots .

I liked the Cpu Overheating Protection idea on the motherboard .

My pc has a ASUS mtherboard and AthalonCPU and has never let me down and seems pretty bomb proof , so I like the specs of this pc as I'm looking for reliability rather than the latest games machine .

I have £200 to spend , don't need a OS , monitor etc , so any other ideas would be welcome aswell .

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I'm afraid the motherboard hits me in the face as a big mistake ... even Asus have to sell cheap MBs, and this is one I would avoid.

Several reasons ... Socket 754 will not be well supported for to long, 939 is the one to go for. We really do not like SiS chipset boards, they are inferior to even Via and not a patch to nVida 4.

The ASUS K8S-MX would make a good 64bit "office" PC ... I would not use it for games.

Sorry but your making the same mistake others have already made ... you're looking at the price, and not the product.

No offence, wait a little for other replies ... search the forum, we have quite a few "spec' me a PC" thread ... you'll see by the response the folks here are pretty good at it.

oops ... I just noticed you only have £200, Hmmm, sorry but you're goint to need to double that.

:cool:

muckshifter

Reaction score
The point is ... don't use that board. ;)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Thanks again you guys , I can tell your alll pretty much into hi-tech pc's and the latest games . Me I'm still on the first Laura Croft game though I have the next four games on the shelf . So you can see I'm not going to be playing the latest games .

The board has has a PCI_E and 8xAGP slots so I'm assuming that I can add a better graphics card at some stage . Also it comes with 512MB DDR Ram which would be ample for a lot of games according to one of the other threads .

Here are some of the features that attracted me to this board , I don't know if other boards have similar .

AMD Cool 'n' Quiet! Technology
The K8S-MX supports AMD Cool 'n' Quiet! Technology, which monitors system operation and automatically adjusts CPU voltage and frequency for a cool and quiet environment.

CrashFree BIOS2
Whenever BIOS gets corrupted, ASUS CrashFree BIOS 2 allows users to reboot the computer and perform an smart auto-recovery procedure through the motherboard support CD.

ASUS EZ Flash
With ASUS EZ Flash, you can update BIOS before entering operating system. No more DOS-based flash utility and bootable diskette required.

C.P.R.(CPU Parameter Recall)
When the system hangs due to overclocking failure, there is no need to open the case to clear the CMOS data. Just simply restart the system, the BIOS would show the previous setting and then users can amend the CPU setting again.

Looking at other systems for sale around my price mark and they all look to have specs that are well below what is offered in this system .
I realise that I'm not going to get a world beater for the price , just looking to get the best for my money . Thought about building one with parts scavenged from my present pc like the Floppy, CD writer , DVD , 80GB hard drive but doubt if I could build one for the £200 . Anyways I am going to donate my pc to an even poorer friends child as a starter pc for schoolwork, internet etc , should do them fine as they have a Playstation for game play .

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Hi again , took on board your comments about socket 939 and found this setup but it looks like costing around £300 which I may just be able to afford . Comments greatly appreciated .

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/64-Bit-Socket...itemZ8702163541QQcategoryZ51144QQcmdZViewItem

i wouldn't touch that, well maybe with a big hammer :D avoid ebay for electronics :thumb:

now for £2-300 you should be able to find something reasonable

im having trouble trying to understand what your after :blush: are you looking to build/upgrade your current system or start from scratch ? is what you've listed your current system or what parts you were going to upgrade to ?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Hi ME__2001,

I want to replace my loverly slow pc but don't have lots of loot . Would like to play some games , not the very latest ones . Do some digital photography stuff. Web surf and just fairly ordinary pc stuff .

Me I'm still on the first Laura Croft game though I have the next four games on the shelf . So you can see I'm not going to be playing the latest games .

I have £200 to spend , don't need a OS , monitor etc , so any other ideas would be welcome aswell .

I realise that I'm not going to get a world beater for the price , just looking to get the best for my money . Thought about building one with parts scavenged from my present pc like the Floppy, CD writer , DVD , 80GB hard drive but doubt if I could build one for the £200 . Anyways I am going to donate my pc to an even poorer friends child as a starter pc for schoolwork, internet etc , should do them fine as they have a Playstation for game play .

I bought my pc on e-bay secondhand two and a half years ago for £150 and once I'd worked out that the reason it was behaving badly , A case fan that did , didn't , sometimes , maybe worked , and replaced it for £6.50 bought from e-bay , its worked fine ever since .

So whats wrong with the e-bay item , seems to have a good CPU , don't know about the motherboard or the graphics card though .

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Its a no from me too, and i would n't use Ebay either. But then again some people love it .....

200 quids a tight old budget though!

muckshifter

Reaction score
There are hundreds and thousands that buy of E-Bay every day ... and are as happy as larry.

What we are saying is ... when it comes to "returning" something because it's faulty, you aint got a leg to stand on if the other 'person' just ups and leaves.

You get no warranty, it's probably not new, good forbid it's a knock-off, fell off the back of a lorry?

My wife was an avid E-Bay nut, sorry Nettie but you were, she got caught once, I finally convinced her that buying any 'electrical' thingie or doda was better bought from a 'shop' ... keep the receipt and you have at least 12 months peace of mind. ;)

If anything goes wrong, try getting your money back off E-Bay. :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Theres good and bad everywhere . You have to watch out when your buying anything , I always ask a question of the seller on e-bay , no answer no sale . If its something bigger I always ring them on a land line , no call no sale .

Bought my motorcycle of e-bay from a guy south of London , I live ooop north . Picked it up in March and it was exactly as he said , its never let me down and runs just fine .

Thanks for all the advice on pc's , my brains proper fried now . At least you've given me something to chew over before i take the plunge . :)

P.S. The bikes 18 years old . Hmm I seem to keep on buying old stuff .;-)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I got done on ebay back in march ago and never got my money back:

I bought for £100 a new ps2 (my one had broken). I wasn't going to hand over my money to a fraud, so i checked his feedbacks etc, and he was a registered square trade seller with over 600 positive feedbacks.

So i send him the money (paypal), and wait patiently for 2 weeks. I get annoyed and email him about it, and he replies instantly, with a tracking number and his assurance it is on its way.

Turns out the guy listed 10 ps2s for £100, then as soon as the listing ended he cancelled his ebay account, emptied his paypal account (with the £1000 from the PS2s) and was never heard of again.

The tracking number was fake, the courier was fake. He just wanted to make some money quick...

There was no way to see it coming, just very bad luck :(

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
You should have been covered by pay-pals fraud protection or your credit card if thats how pay-pal accesed your money . Also you should have been covered by e-bays own non recieved goods clause . Why didn't you contact the police , they have a duty to follow up crimes of fraud commited in the uk . :)

Reaction score
too much hassle - sorry but im not going to go to the police and waste a load of time and effort to get £100 back again -

I couldnt get any money from paypal because he emtied all his accounts (including bank accounts) i think

Ask a Question