Floppy drive - Advice plse where and what to buy

Reaction score
Hi folks, my computer does not have a floppy drive (did not realise when we bought it - thought they cam as standard!!!) - and we have now found a need for one.
What do i need to look out for? How much are they? Are they easy to link up etc.
My computer is:
Matrix 2800+ NX
  • [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]AMD Athlon XP 2800+ Processor[/font]
  • [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition[/font]
  • [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]512MB DDR333 RAM (PC2700) Memory[/font]
  • [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]200GB 7200rpm Ultra DMA-133 HDD with 8MB Buffer[/font]
  • [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]128MB Integrated nVIDIA GeForce 4 Graphics (SMA)[/font]
  • [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]17" TFT Flat Panel Monitor[/font]
  • [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SONY DWU-18A - 8x DVD-RW (R/W all standard formats)*[/font]
  • [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5.1 Surround Sound 6 Channel Audio[/font]<LI class=smallblack>[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Creative SoundBlaster SBS250 Stereo Speakers[/font]
  • [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Internet Ready V.92 56Kbps data/fax/voice modem[/font]
  • [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Network Ready integrated 10/100 Ethernet Adapter[/font]
  • [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]FREE Microsoft Works 7.0[/font]
  • [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]FREE Pinnacle Studio 9 SE Video Editing Software[/font]
  • [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Logitech Internet Keyboard & Optical Mouse[/font]
  • [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]FREE 3 Year Warranty (Back to Base)[/font]
  • [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Black Mini Tower Case/4 USBs + Additional Features[/font]
if this is any use to you.
thanks
Dramaqueen

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
They are pretty easy to fit, fiddly, but easy enough! (be sure it has a cable / screws with it)

You can buy them for around a tenner at most places - no doubt cheaper online, but you will have to add P&P on top which will equalise the price (£5 drive + £5 postage).

It may be best to pop into a local PC shop to get one, as they should be a bit cheaper than PC World (around £15 from there).

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
You can get one at PC World for a tenner.

Or you can one on line for a fiver or less, + P & P = about a tenner.

You'll need a floppy cable to connect it to motherboard.

Only real consideration is colour, you want it to match your system, so choose from black, beige or silver. PC World only do beige, as far as I know.

Straightforwrd to fit. Screw into a 3.5" bay, connect cable to drive and motherboard, switch on. That's it.

DO NOT have a floppy disk in the drive when you first switch on, if you have the cable round the wrong way, this will ruin the drive.

You'll know if you have cable wrong way round as led will stay on all the time.

However, it's quite foolproof usually, mostly there are cut-outs and lugs to orientate the cable connection.

If you DO manage to get it round the wrong way, switch off, turn the cable around at either the floppy drive or motherboard end, then switch on again.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice - you all seem to be getting the 'gist that i'm pretty useless with computers (believe me, my hubby is even worse!!)

Cheers

Dramaqueen

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Uh, one small thing, I forgot to mention you have to connect a power lead from your power supply as well. Only one type of connector will fit, it only fits one way round, so no probs there.

Ask a Question