Is this worth it?

Reaction score
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hi, just wondering if you could give your opinions:[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]AMD Athlon™ 64 3000+ Processor[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mainboard , IEEE 1394, SATA, RAID[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]512MB DDR 400 RAM (PC3200) Memory[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]200GB Serial ATA (150Mb/s) Ultra Fast Hard Drive[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]256MB ATI Radeon 9550 - TV-Out, DVI[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]17" TFT Flat Panel LCD Monitor[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SONY 16x Dual Layer DVD-RW (R/W all standard formats)*[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5.1 Surround Sound 6 Channel Audio[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Creative Inspire P580 - 5.1 Surround Speakers[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]X-treme3 Games Bundle (Joystick, Gamepad, 3 titles)[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Internet Ready V.92 56Kbps data/fax/voice modem[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Network Ready integrated 10/100 Ethernet Adaptor[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Logitech Cordless Keyboard and Optical Mouse[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]FREE Pinnacle Studio 9 SE Video Editing Software[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3 Year Parts & Labour Warranty (Back to Base)[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mini Tower Case/4 USBs + Additional Features[/font]
all for £900

Reaction score
It sounds good, but what make is it?

If it is Time or Tiny i would strongly advise against it!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Does that include VAT and who makes it?

Reaction score
Mesh Computers

yes that is with VAT, it actually comes to £950 with delivery.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
In my opinion that is probably a bit expensive, and I'm not sure what Mesh are like so I can't comment about the quality.

What are you going to be using the PC for, gaming, office work or an all rounder?

Reaction score
Mainly gaming, the net and for music.

If anyone has any other ideas for other systems/ideas, then please throw them my way. Ideally i wouldnt wanna be going over £1000

Reaction score
The specs may be good,
The price may be bad,
The make is bad!

You will be able to get a slighty lower spec PC, but a good make.
I would advise against it. Keep looking,

This is a suggestion, but i wouldn't!

KGB

Reaction score
If you are after a gaming machine, i'm afraid i couldn't really class the 9550 as a gaming graphics card.

The rest of the system looks good enough but i think at the end of the day the graphics card will let you down. For gaming nowadays you will need at least an ATI Radeon 9800 pro to have agood chance of running recent games on high quality.

The fact that it is 256mb would also make little difference, in fact it might even make it a tad slower on certain games so in my opinion if you can get a better card in there then it would be a kickass system.

chris

put it this way - i have a 9800 pro and it has problems running Flight Simulator 2004 on max eye candy - and that is a game that was released over a year ago - the 9800pro is considerably better than the 9550 - my friend has one.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Its a bit pricey in my opinion.

You would expect a gig of ram and an Ati 9800pro at the least for that price. I think its the TFT monitor bumping it up to that price, but there comming down in price each month, so i would try and get a CRT monitor instead of the TFT one and you might be able to pick up a better TFT monitor in a few months time.

Reaction score
Reef is right, the TFT is bumping up the price! Much better to get a CRT in my opinion. Only reason to go for a TFT is if space is a major issue. You can get an Iiyama vision master pro 19" 0.25 dot pitch for £150 now which is what im gonna buy soon.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The first thing I wanted to ask when I read the spec was 'What make of motherboard is it?'

As for the system and supplier, pretty much agree with everything everybody else has said.

I don't know much about Mesh, but I have read some customer horror stories about them.

Actually, I don't think it's too badly priced, considering there's a 17" TFT monitor in the deal, what make is that?

But, as mentioned here many times, the grafix is letting it down.

Get 'em to include a 9800 Pro for the same money and maybe consider buying it ;)

Ask a Question