Help on a new PC Build

Reaction score
Hello all, sorry in advance for the long wordy post.

I'm looking to upgrade my current pc - it's getting old, slow and just doesn't cut the mustard anymore (not sure it ever did).

I thought I was there in terms of a spec but a guy from work today pointed me in the direction of Mesh computers and some of the deals they are offering. They looked o.k. on the face of it. However, from reading some of the reviews on this and other websites, it sounds like mesh should be avoided like the plague. So back to square one.

Right here is the current spec I'm thinking of. Very little is fixed so please feel free to shoot this down.

I'm after a jack of all trades PC that could have a go a pretty much anything. I'm not a gamer but would like to be able to buy a semi decent game and have it run on the pc. My only one hard requirement is that it can support a dual monitor set-up. I currently have a 19inch Hyundai TFT (L91A) so I'd like to try and get another similar one. I do not need a massive amount of storage - I have 80 gb already and I still have plenty left. I'm trying to do all this on a budget of about £700 (inc MS XP Home).

I'm based near Portsmouth so I was planning to utilise Novatech. However, if anybody knows of good alternatives, I would like to hear.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Q's
Intel vs AMD?
Decent mobo?

Specification

Processor AMD X2 4200 AM2 2.2 Ghz - £280.82 (mobo pack)

RAM 1024 DDR2 533 - inc in the above

Mobo ASUS AM2 - inc in the above

G’ Card Nvidia 7600GT 256Mb PCI E Graphics DDR3 DVI - £92.83

Tower Novatech 350w Panacea Tower Includes PSU - £22.91

DVD Samsung DVD RW - £27.97

D’Drive Use existing 80 Gb

O/S XP Home - £64.46

Monitor Hyundai TFT - £180

Total £668.99

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not too familiar with that particular motherboard combination, so someone else may have some comments about that - but I do have a few suggestions :)

The case and PSU combo may be cheap and cheerful, but I'd strongly recommend getting a better PSU for a fairly high end system like that. Those cheap PSU's can really be more trouble than they are worth, so it's often a good bet to invest in a Tagan/Enermax type unit to make sure you don't wake up to a frazzled PC.

What is the main use of the PC (as you require dual monitors) - is it a CAD/Graphics type Power PC? The reason I ask is certain CPU's may be better than others at different things.

Reaction score

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
As per usual, they do not actually state which Asus MB they are using ... if you can find that answer, post back.

Don't get caught in "mucks' numbers game" ... Watts are important, but quality & reliability will cost a little more than £18.80 ... it really dose pay to look at 'branded' PSUs

It a great game ... tiresome & frustrating, but get it right before you buy, then the PC will serve you well.

Welcome to the forums. ;)

Reaction score
THanks for this.

My head is startin to spin with this. I've received some advice (!!!) that said for the money I'm spending, it is probably worth looking at the Core Duo 6300/6400. If this is the case what mobo would you recommend to accompany it?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Going C2D is going to cost a little more, but worth it in my opinion.

Novatech do a mobo bundle HERE with the C2D E6300 - its a Gigabyte board, and from the looks of it is the GA 965P-DS3. If so its fine, might suggest giving them a call and ask ;)

As has previously been suggest, invest in a good branded PSU - THIS one from Novatech will do you fine :thumb:

I have used Novatech many times in the past and found them to be excellent.

Ask a Question