Help please :(

Reaction score
No bootcode was sucecessfully updated...?

Hi all,

I am trying to set up my USB so that I can boot an OS from it....

I found a website and have been trying for ages to sort everything out ¬_¬ I was given the following:
bootable USB guide, here we assume that you are using either Vista or Windows 7 to create a bootable USB.

1. Insert your USB (4GB+ preferable) stick to the system and backup all the data from the USB as we are going to format the USB to make it as bootable.

2. Open elevated Command Prompt. To do this, type in CMD in Start menu search field and hit Ctrl + Shift + Enter. Alternatively, navigate to Start > All programs >Accessories > right click on Command Prompt and select run as administrator.

3. When the Command Prompt opens, enter the following command:

DISKPART and hit enter.

LIST DISK and hit enter.

Once you enter the LIST DISK command, it will show the disk number of your USB drive. In the below image my USB drive disk no is Disk 1.

4. In this step you need to enter all the below commands one by one and hit enter. As these commands are self explanatory, you can easily guess what these commands do.

SELECT DISK 1 (Replace DISK 1 with your disk number)

CLEAN

CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY

SELECT PARTITION 1

ACTIVE

FORMAT FS=NTFS

(Format process may take few seconds)
ASSIGN

EXIT

Don’t close the command prompt as we need to execute one more command at the next step. Just minimize it.

5. Insert your Windows DVD in the optical drive and note down the drive letter of the optical drive and USB media. Here I use “D” as my optical (DVD) drive letter and “G” as my USB drive letter.

6. Go back to command prompt and execute the following commands:

6.1. Change directory to the DVD’s boot directory where bootsect lives:
d:
cd d:\boot

6.2. Use bootsect to set the USB as a bootable NTFS drive prepared for a Vista/7 image. I’m assuming that your USB flash drive has been labeled disk G:\ by the computer:
bootsect /nt60 g:

(Where “G” is your USB drive letter)

7. Copy Windows DVD contents to USB.

You are done with your bootable USB. You can now use this bootable USB as bootable DVD on any computer that comes with USB boot feature (most of the current motherboards support this feature).

everything works fine until i try and execute the "bootsect /nt60" within CMD Prompt...

I recieve the following:
D:\boot> bootsect /nt60 G:
Target volumes will be updated with BOOTMGR compatible bootcode.

G: <\\?\Volume{8f35c14-ece4-b822-8368053940…

Could not open the volume root directory:
The parameter is incorrect.

No bootcode was successfully updated.

and I do no have a clue what I can do now :( have looked everywhere but no one seems to have the correct answer for me ¬_¬

where G: is my USB
and
where D: is my CD drive

Thanks in advance

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
I have to ask. What are you trying to accomplish?

I have seen instances where you can create bootable usb sticks. None of which use anything else than a Linux Kernel. For example, MultiBoot ISO is software that uses a Linux Kernel and will allow you to emulate an environment.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/multiboot-create-a-multiboot-usb-from-linux/

I have been able to create a Windows 7 boot installation using this and a Win 7 CD image.

I have also had success installing the OS to compact flash and USB drives to be used as primary drives (C:\), however this typically does not do well because of Windows requirement to read/write system files. The OS will function slowly and ultimately cause you to toss that idea out the window (haha).

Ask a Question