netbook won't boot from smart card

Reaction score
Hi - I know many people have been able to boot from various USB devices. I want to try booting from a smartcard on my little Acer D255 netbook.

I have enabled the boot menu, and moved all the USB options to the top of the list (I think it would see a USB flashdrive as a USB HDD). However, the only options on the boot menu are the native hard drive (I think it's a hard drive, not a flashdrive on this machine) and a network agent.

Is there any way to see the smart card as a bootable device on this netbook? :fool:

I have the Pendrive version of Slax Linux ready on the smart card - as far as I know, no formatting issues as I can see the files under My Computer (the netbook native OS is the...usable Windows 7 starter).

The netbook is an Acer Aspire One D255 with the N450 processor, 1 GB memory and a 160 GB HDD.

I will try the same Linux USB-bootable OS on a flash stick, I need to pick up some more on my next trip to stationary store. If still a non-starter, I can still use the flash drive!

Still putting off - trying out USB linux on ancient Apple powerbook - never got up to Tiger OSX, and they're still asking over a hundred bucks for an unsupported operating system - want to keep OSX/OS9 on it (offline), but be able to use online with an up to date operating system...but that's another day...

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Should have said try the Slax forums as they are probably the best bet for help. :cool:

Reaction score

Ask a Question