Health Checks

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

Firstly hello to everyone as this is my first post!

Quick question, my pc is booked in for a healthcheck at PC world, however i am wondering if there is any point in doing this.

Does anybody know what they do to your computer, also a concern i have is i borrowed a friends norton anti virus a few months ago, i have since deleted it but it keeps showing on my computer. Could pc world get me into trouble for having it on my computer when its not mine?

Thanks

Jono

Reaction score
personally i wouldn't let PC World anywhere near my baby, this is for two reasons.

(1) they're idiots!, they would be more comfortable holding a banana than a PC.

(2) they don't do anything that you can't do yourself

and in answer to your question about norton, if they could be bothered to do anything about this then they'd struggle to prove it, i wouldn't worry about it!

J

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I assume all PC World will do is run a virus scan and do a few system checks. How much to they charge for this service, and do they fix everything that causes a problem?

Reaction score
I have used one of PC worlds healthchecks and they are absolutely crap!!

I recently bought a PC from them with a 4 year warranty, only becauase if ANYTHING happens to it I get a new one in replacement for the same price. Including whatever warranty is left. This warranty includes a free health check every year. But I don't even both aboutthe healthchecks now because these guys are seriously useless.

If I ever have a big problem I just do a system restore.

Don't waste your money. It cost me £40 on my old PC and they couldn't solve the problem or even identify it. They said I had an overheating problem. Which was already obvious to me before I even took the healthcheck.

If they find a problem, the healthcheck does not include them fixing the problem for you. It is sooooo overpriced. I'd take it to someone who builds computers. It'd be cheaper.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Yes. All the above are correct. You'd be better off betting £40.00 on a horse or lottery or something. More chance of a return for your money. They're con merchants, to put it frankly.

There's probably more knowledge amongst all the Forum members here than all of the PC World branches put together.

/end rant ;)

Reaction score
Hello I am actually a Health Check Technician @ one of the PCworld stores:)

What can I say, I totaly agree with all the above comments. For £39.99 its a disgusting price and well the health check is just about Virus scanning really.
We run a quick Virus scan and Msconfig and clean the Pc thats the most you get from Pcworld and from the healthcheck.

My advise which I give to customers also, just DIY download Stinger (google it) and run Spyware checks with Adware/spybot.

Saves us time and everyone time ;)

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Yes. All the above are correct. You'd be better off betting £40.00 on a horse or lottery or something. More chance of a return for your money. They're con merchants, to put it frankly.

lol.. yep A Horse with three legs at that.... as you you would most likley have better odds of getting good value.. PC world are a Company Designed to take your money..

System slow?... Want a good system fix?

Okay just back up your needed information.. back up the data you need.. then reformat.. Re-install the OS then you will have a brand new feeling PC.. lol ( I do this every so often)

Your money you should keep in your pocket.. don't let PC world have it for pressing a couple of buttons! ..:).. hope that helps...

Reaction score
£39.99 healthcheck is actually worth it when you dont know about pcs or viruses or anything....Some PCs ive literally taken 1000s of viruses off and made it run 10x faster/stable and better.

If you actually are somewhat PC literate then id advise anyone to stay away from PCWorld altogether.

Reaction score
For £40, you could buy your own copy of NAV, assuage your conscience and save yourself the hassle of dealing with PCW technicians who try to treat you with barely-concealed contempt.

Or buy the time of a local student who's studying IT and will explain to you how to carry out your own checks.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
HighlandeR said:
£39.99 healthcheck is actually worth it when you dont know about pcs or viruses or anything....Some PCs ive literally taken 1000s of viruses off and made it run 10x faster/stable and better.
Possibly. If the 'technician' educated the customer on how to avoid the problem(s) in the future.

But they don't. And within 30 minutes or less the unaware individual will be back in the same state with their PC.

And so back to PC World and coughing up another forty quid.

Which is just what PC World/Dixons/Currys/The Link want. Your money. No conscience, just a big Corporate money making machine hiding behind a friendly facade.

The hell with them. Leeches.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Possibly. If the 'technician' educated the customer on how to avoid the problem(s) in the future.

But they don't.
I do ;)

In fact since I am in charge of Healthchecks im literally swopped with 10+pcs a day ill actually tell customers it would be far cheaper/easier to get a Virus package or download a freebie one from the net and run the scan at home.

but 9 times out of 10 the Customer will turn round and say well I dont know what I am doing;)

I find that very hard to belive since some of the customers have actually got good pcs Ie they have customised there PC and I can see its good and they know what there doing!

PCworld is the same branch from Dixons/Currys/Link, there only purpose is to take your money... Which they do from the staff as well since am very underpaid atm.

Ask a Question