hdd letter

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Hello,
Apologies for interrupting the 'First Build Problem' thread - thought I should have started a new one but failed to. Think I have the protocol now!:blush: :blush:
I have caused problems in a 40Gb HDD with xp in an AMD k6 360MHz pc by swapping cards in and out. It will not boot beyond the first xp screen from the hdd or the xp OS disk. I have followed advice in that thread and disabled all other boot options. I both cases the HDD LED stays on on reaching the first xp screen.
I wanted to try Itsme's method for formatting so used an even older Cyrix 300MHz with win 98. Connected the troubled HDD as slave on 32Gb clip jumper settings.
The slave hdd is detected but not listed in My Computer and does not have a drive letter in Device Manager. Is this a conflict between FAT 32 and NTFS? If so, or not, what can I do?
Thanks in anticipation,
peahouse05:thumb:

Reaction score
Following my guide will work as long as you have access to a compatible PC> I.E Windows XP and or 98/2000/ME.

Now as far as conflicting FAT32> NTFS I don’t get a problem, as it is when you set windows up you have to have either FAT32 on both or NTFS on both if not that will conflict, but should not entail the problems you are having?

Have you access to a PC [modern] with a faster set up? I.E 1K+MHz

;)

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks Itsme,
I have access to a Toshiba laptop 2.8GHz, Pentium 4 with xp.
Cheers,
peahouse05:)

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi Itsme,
I only have the laptop, it has an external hdd connected.
Cheers

Reaction score
peahouse05 said:
Hi Itsme,
I only have the laptop, it has an external hdd connected.
Cheers
That will do it;) Take your time:)

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi Itsme,
Tried making a boot floppy on the laptop. But when I tried to boot the pc with
it I got 'invalid disk'.
Rergards,

Reaction score
First off what windows OS are you using?>do you have the set-up disc?>floppy boot discs are a pain in the ars unless you have the correct one it just will not work.

there are so many things you can do I.E. copy your OS onto the new HDD>
get an XP disc> Partition magic>
I know you have formated the HDD
let me know exactly what you have done?
Oh! to have that PC in front of me.....;)

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi,
My 40GB hdd was working in an AMD k6 360MHz PC but stopped booting after I swapped around some cards. I have the xp OS but this will only go as far as the 'loading windows' screen, it then stops with hdd light on. I also tried its original 4.2GB hdd that now has UBUNTU on and this failed to boot some way in also.
Thanks,

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
itsme said:
Oh! to have that PC in front of me.....;)
Yup ... looking more like a 'bench' job to me too. :thumb:

You're closer to Cornwall, you go ... :p

:D

Sorry peahouse, you saying now neither HD work ... time for a new / different cable ... and go back to square one.

Was it ever working in this PC?

:)

Reaction score
peahouse05 said:
Hi,
My 40GB hdd was working in an AMD k6 360MHz PC but stopped booting after I swapped around some cards. I have the xp OS but this will only go as far as the 'loading windows' screen, it then stops with hdd light on. I also tried its original 4.2GB hdd that now has UBUNTU on and this failed to boot some way in also.
Thanks,

Try a new cable [IDE] First
Use only one HDD the formatted 40GB one.
When you are setting up XP do you reach the F8 to agree to the terms?

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Hello guys,
Yes, the 40Gb hdd did work but I found some way of ....... it ..! I made an xp rescue floppy today on my daughter's laptop and it produced 'bios read error x02' on the pc. I will understand if you give up on me but I am a slow learner.
Thanks,
peahouse05;)

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
itsme said:
Try a new cable [IDE] First
Use only one HDD the formatted 40GB one.
When you are setting up XP do you reach the F8 to agree to the terms?
No, setting up works but when it gets to 'installing windows' it stops.

muckshifter

Reaction score
peahouse05 said:
Hello guys,
Yes, the 40Gb hdd did work but I found some way of ....... it ..! I made an xp rescue floppy today on my daughter's laptop and it produced 'bios read error x02' on the pc. I will understand if you give up on me but I am a slow learner.
Thanks,
peahouse05;)
Sorry peahouse but I think that 'rescue' disk is only any good in the PC it was made for. I could be wrong on that.

we don't give up ... we run out of ideas ... as itsme said, we could do with it on our bench. :D

muckshifter

Reaction score
peahouse05 said:
No, setting up works but when it gets to 'installing windows' it stops.
Back to a, err, Knackard hard drive scenario.

This PC can "talk" to A 40giger ... it is seen properly in the BIOS?

:confused:

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Back to a, err, Knackard hard drive scenario.

This PC can "talk" to A 40giger ... it is seen properly in the BIOS?

:confused:
It is seen as a 32Gig clip, but the capacity has a grey background in CMOS settings, rest of info is clear.
:eek:

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi,
Tried the original 4.2hdd for the AMD 300MHz with XP OS disk and it went as far as the 40Gb hdd, perhaps both hdds are 'buggered' as you predicted some time ago. Not too bothered if they as they have provided hours of entertainment - you can soon lose £25 at poker!.
Have just tried working 3.2GB hdd with win 98 from Cyrix 300MHz pc and it reached the first win 98 screen and stopped . Have just tried it in safe mode and it booted and appears to work. Am tempted to try to format the other hdds in this setup but have never formatted in win98 before.
Cheers,

Reaction score
peahouse05 said:
Hello guys,
Thanks,
peahouse05;)

I may be a Nutter:) Just a joker really:D >But I dont give up.:p
Now I think your HDD`s are buggered? you say you have never formatted in W98?
it is more or less the same as XP? if a HDD is formatted it is formatted period! and therfore will be adaptable to any PC>OS as long as the rest of the components are compatable:thumb: so the obvious is a buggered HDD
where do we go now??? give me the FULL spec of the PC and we will start again.;) Dont you give up as I won`t:cool:

muckshifter

Reaction score
As yet I don't think the 40gig is 'buggered' but just not playing ball.

If you have to trick the HD into thinking it is something else, as in say a 32gig, then you ARE going to have problems ... the same thing happens with 'drive-overlay' programs that trick the HD into thinking it is something else.

I think the 'problem' is just the 40 HD is too new for the MB BIOS to handle ... unless you can use a 'spare' newer PC, not laptop, to test the HD in you may be going around in circles all day.

;)

Ask a Question