Dell Laptop

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi All
Have been given a Dell Latitude C510/C610 Model No PP01L. When booted it produces BSOD - STOP:0x000000ED - Unmountable boot volume.
BIOS shows 512Mb Ram.
Will not boot from XP disk but HD spins, CD ROM spins and HDD twitters for a while before another BSOD.
Replacement HDD £30, RAM £20. Would like it in the kitchen just to access the Internet.
Any advice most welcome.
Cheers
peahouse05:)

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi,

Mate could be alot of things, but most likely failing hard drive - bad sectors.

Just try and get a 8 or 10Gb HDD cheapo off ebay and try that before buying a proper one.

Also check that the memory is seated correctly, or it could be faulty RAM.

MadX is probably the person to ask as he repairs laptops.

Reaction score
The file system is damaged. Run chkdsk /r. To do that:

Start the computer with the Windows CD.
At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to select the repair option.
At the command prompt - type chkdsk /r > press <Enter>.
Type Exit > press <Enter>.

If that doesn't help:
Repeat the steps, but type fixboot instead of chkdsk /r.

HAve yet set BIOS to boot from the CD..??????

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I got a working laptop drive of my local FREECYCLE.

happywave.gif

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks Guys
Occasionally get a BSOD with Windows system file faults - so will go with a cheap hatd drive as suggested.

Most grateful
peahouse05:thumb:

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi Guys
A bit of luck - took caddy and pin adaptor off Dell hard drive and it looked like it was the same as the 30Gb HD I took from Daughter's Toshiba because I thought it was faulty - it turned out to be the RAM.
However the Dell has booted Damn Small Linux from this Toshiba HD.
Wife has claimed the machine but wants XP.
Have set BIOS to boot from XP disk and set the one-off boot sequence to CD but it still boots Linux.
Any ideas most welcome.
Thanks in advance
peahouse05:bow:

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi All
Sorted problem.
Hard drive faulty as members advised - fitted Toshiba 30GB HD.
Clean install of XP kept failing at various stages but noticed that the CD drive was not positively engaged - CD drive symbol kept appearing.
This sounds ridiculous but I held the CD drive into its slot with insulation tape but managed to install XP. Still cannot wireless connection but think it's due to incomplete installation of Netgear CD.
Will carry on tomorrow.
Cheers
peahouse05

Reaction score
Hi all,

I also have a similar problem. In the screen it appears something like:

stop 0X000000ED (0X8AAED900, 0XC0000006, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

I already tried the following: chkdsk /r , chkdsk /p, and fixboot. I wonder what else could I do. Do you think that my laptop will work if I reformat it?

Thanks!

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi
Must confess I did not report back on the conclusion to this problem.
Replaced the CD ROM with a used item from ebay. Clean-installed a legal copy of XP.
All worked fine for about 20min then it crashed every time. Checked with Speedfan and it was obviously an overheating problem - too much noise in my workshop to spot that the fan was not running.
Got a used fan from eBay and now it is all working fine - unfortunately you have to dismantle virtually the whole laptop to get at the fan, but you can download the repair manual from the Dell website.
My diagnosis is that continual overheating caused file corruption in XP to the extent it fails to boot and will not run an XP re-install - but I did also have the CD ROM problem so I am not 100% sure.
The repair cost me approx £20 for the fan and doubling the RAM (I already had the spare 30GB HDD from my daughter's Toshiba).
If you reformat you will lose all your files but it is worth a try if nothing else works.
If you have to take it to a technician it is not worth the labour and parts for an old machine (this one is about 6 years old I think).
Please wait for the real experts to react to this post before you do anything!
Cheers:)
peahouse05

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks Abarbarian
Certainly wouldn't want to give up the day job as I am retired and love to play with broken laptops. But seriously, I have Scott Mueller's 'Upgrading and Repairing Laptops' and cannot make any sense of the stop codes (probably I'm too thick). My only logical contribution is that three have suffered from overheating - two from blocked fan intakes and one from a failed fan. I'm assuming that continual crashing due to overheating eventually causes boot failure due to file corruption.
Confession - replaced the HDD on my daughter's Toshiba when it turned out to be a faulty stick of RAM, but used that HDD on the Dell (subject of this thread). The third does now work after cleaning but had a cracked screen anyway (sister-in-law dropped it) but have recovered her files to a stick using an external monitor.
Conclusion - none of this stuff for old machines costs very much from eBay (I know, I Know!) but you have to be able to DIY - all learned from this forum!
Cheers

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Your doing better than me peahouse I have tried endless times to get an Acer lappy apart but can not get the thing to split open fully. I recon it will work after a good dusting and maybe some new paste on the cpu cooler.

:D

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Your doing better than me peahouse I have tried endless times to get an Acer lappy apart but can not get the thing to split open fully.
:D

HAve a look here. They are not easy to open. Took me months to learn how to do it.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
peahouse05 said:
Thanks Abarbarian
Certainly wouldn't want to give up the day job as I am retired and love to play with broken laptops. But seriously, I have Scott Mueller's 'Upgrading and Repairing Laptops' and cannot make any sense of the stop codes (probably I'm too thick). My only logical contribution is that three have suffered from overheating - two from blocked fan intakes and one from a failed fan. I'm assuming that continual crashing due to overheating eventually causes boot failure due to file corruption.
Confession - replaced the HDD on my daughter's Toshiba when it turned out to be a faulty stick of RAM, but used that HDD on the Dell (subject of this thread). The third does now work after cleaning but had a cracked screen anyway (sister-in-law dropped it) but have recovered her files to a stick using an external monitor.
Conclusion - none of this stuff for old machines costs very much from eBay (I know, I Know!) but you have to be able to DIY - all learned from this forum!
Cheers

I think you're doing well - keep it up :thumb:

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
The 'final split' is the pig - you have removed all the screws according to the manual and it still will not come apart with mild violence. This is because there are tiny plastic nibs that lock the two halves together. If you push in the joint between the two halves they will release, but you don't know where they are.
I 've only stripped six to the bare bones and none were Acers - sure would not want to do it for a living as I would take far too long - but if it's an old one and no pressure it's fun.
Cheers

Ask a Question