Dell Laptop

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi All
After a few months of faithful service this old laptop has started to produce BSODs - tried re-installing XP but when it got to 'install XP on this volume' it could not access the HD. Put an old laptop HD in it and all went well with a clean install.
Would like to check out the failed HD on a PC. Have a cheap pin-to-pin adaptor with a power cable but have never previously got it to work.
Have seen 2.5in HD to USB enclosures - is this what I need?
Thanks in advance
peahouse05:)

Reaction score
peahouse05 said:
Have seen 2.5in HD to USB enclosures - is this what I need?

Yup thats what you want...Is the drive IDE or SATA...? You can pick up USB Enclosures as cheap as £10. And if the drive is still good, pretty handy to have it ina USB Enclosure as you can use it between machines..

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi All
Bought a Pluscom 2.5 IDE to USB caddy - the caddy installed within a couple of minutes but the inserted 30Gb HDD from the Dell which had ended up with 'not being able to find the HDD' did not show up on my PC's 'My Computer'. I assume this confirms that the HD is dead - it had previously been in my Daughter's Toshiba laptop. I was hoping to format it on the PC, but never mind eh!
Cheers

Reaction score
peahouse05 said:
Hi All
Bought a Pluscom 2.5 IDE to USB caddy - the caddy installed within a couple of minutes but the inserted 30Gb HDD from the Dell which had ended up with 'not being able to find the HDD' did not show up on my PC's 'My Computer'. I assume this confirms that the HD is dead - it had previously been in my Daughter's Toshiba laptop. I was hoping to format it on the PC, but never mind eh!
Cheers

That's a bit of a bummer really..Put it back in its box and return it i'd say..

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
My Mistake
Connected Pluscom caddy to a 4-Port USB Hub and as I reported the device was installed but could not see the laptop drive in 'My Computer'. Tonight connected directly to USB sockets on a fan controller on my PC and all appears to be well - currently formatting the 30GB HDD from the Dell.
Cheers

Ask a Question