Hard Drive Partition

Reaction score
I`ve bought a "Seagate FreeAgent 250Gb H/D 3.5".
it came with no software and just a small leaflet telling you how to connect it to the computer and mains.
It is described as a mass storage unit with just one big partition.I would like, if possible, to create three
partitons on it,but I`ve no idea how to go about it.
I`ve been on "Seagate`s" site and have come off it more confused than ever,It`s such a huge site.
If i is possible can you please tell hoe to go about it in the simplest of words.
Many thanks
historian.

P.S I am running Windows XP1
PPS I`ve tried down loading XP2 in the past but my computer crashes.
h.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Is this to be used as a 2nd hard drive, and to be inserted into a PC already in use?

In truth, it's probably best to use as a single partition for most cases (with folders used to divide categoes) - as it places limits on the size of each partition which are hard to change. For example, if one partition was almost full but the other two had plenty of space left you couldn't easily change this around.

However, if you did want to make 3 partitions then this guide explains it really well:

http://www.theeldergeek.com/hard_drives.htm

Just be sure to triple check that you are perfoming the actions on the new drive and not the existing one ;) :thumb:

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Is this to be used as a 2nd hard drive, and to be inserted into a PC already in use?

In truth, it's probably best to use as a single partition for most cases (with folders used to divide categoes) - as it places limits on the size of each partition which are hard to change. For example, if one partition was almost full but the other two had plenty of space left you couldn't easily change this around.

However, if you did want to make 3 partitions then this guide explains it really well:

http://www.theeldergeek.com/hard_drives.htm

Just be sure to triple check that you are perfoming the actions on the new drive and not the existing one ;) :thumb:

Hello Ian.
Thanks for your reply.
The H/D is a stand alone type and yes it is to be used as a 2nd H/D and as a back up drive.
When I first opened up the new H/D in "My computer" there was nothing showing. I`ve since tried sending a picture to the H/D via "File send to" and it shows it,so it seems to be working.
How do I create folders you mention,and would I name them to the people who will use them like: Folder A,FolderB, and FolderC?
Many thanks
All the best
historian

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Does the hard drive show up in "my computer" now as a 2nd drive?

To create a new folder, simply go to your drive in "my computer", right click and look for the new > folder option. You can name this however you want - if for example you have 3 users files you wish to back up then perhaps name one after each person. :)

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:

To create a new folder, simply go to your drive in "my computer", right click and look for the new > folder option. You can name this however you want - if for example you have 3 users files you wish to back up then perhaps name one after each person. :)

Hello Ian.
Thanks for your reply.
Yes it does show as a second drive in "My Computer"
I rather like your sugestion of creating folders as opposed to creating 3 partitions, it seems so much simpler.
Many thanks.
historian
icon7.gif

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:

Hi Ian.

I`ve tried right clicking on my new H/D but I cannot find new>folder option.
What I do get is the following:
Open
Explore
Search
Scan for Viruses
Sharing and security
Format
Copy
Create shortcut
Rename
Properties
And that`s it ----no new>folder option.
I`ve looked through them all but it`s not in any of them.
So I`m stuck.
Many thanks
historian

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You might need to brose the drive first and then right click on the empty white space to get the new menu - that should show it :)

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
You might need to brose the drive first and then right click on the empty white space to get the new menu - that should show it :)

Hi Ian.
Thanks for your e-mail.
I`ve finally found how to create a folder in my new H/D.
I openned up the hard drive,and in it`s window,up in the top left hand corner, is:
"FILE and FOLDER TASKS."
One of the tasks is "Make a new Folder" I tried it out and lo and behold a new folder appears at the bottom of the H/Ds window.
So now I can move my pics and docs to my own folder.

I got your e-mail,above, a few minutes ago after my own exploration.
But I did try and right click in the white space as you suggested and it came up to make new folder.So is the way I did it O.K.?
Very many thanks for your help.:thumb:
All the best
historian

Reaction score
historian said:
I`ve bought a "Seagate FreeAgent 250Gb H/D 3.5".
it came with no software and just a small leaflet telling you how to connect it to the computer and mains.
It is described as a mass storage unit with just one big partition.I would like, if possible, to create three
partitons on it,but I`ve no idea how to go about it.
I`ve been on "Seagate`s" site and have come off it more confused than ever,It`s such a huge site.
If i is possible can you please tell hoe to go about it in the simplest of words.
Many thanks
historian.

P.S I am running Windows XP1
PPS I`ve tried down loading XP2 in the past but my computer crashes.
h.

you can create partition with Acronis Disk Director Suite

but it is,nt free

see http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/download/diskdirector/

try download.com you may find one for free there.

Reaction score
Hi Ian,

I would suggest a long way but free non the less.
1. Set the boot priority in the CMOS/BIOS to boot from CD first
2. Put Windows XP cd in drive
3. Restart the PC when you see "Push any key to Boot from CDROM...." (Not the correct verbage but close)
4. Follow along like you will install windows only leave the original HD listed alone and partition the new HD.

Otherwise "Partition Magic" will do the trick and may be downloaded with a trial priod

Ask a Question