Hangs at startup screen

Scott

As of saturday my XP Home decided to start hanging at the
initial startup screen where you select which user...It
would freeze up within about 20 seconds regardless of
whether you selected a user. I attempted rebooting, boot,
disk, ect...eventually installing a second windows in an
attempt to clean the first one, however, this merely
resulted in a second verions on my hard drive, which for
some reason works perfectly well. Now the issue is, i can
now press F8 to troubleshoot and start the hanging version
in safe mode...i checked the error logs and here is what i
found from saturday...

DCOM got error "%1084" attempting to start the service
EventSystem with arguments "" in order to run the server:
-
The DHCP Client service depends on the NetBios over Tcpip
service which failed to start because of the following
error: A device attached to the system is not functioning.
-
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed
to load: AmdK7 Fips IPSec MRxSmb NetBIOS NetBT RasAcd
Rdbss Tcpip TeksKernel

any ideas would be very appreciated,

Thanx, Scott Seidler

Sriram.V

Hi Scott

I would like to know whether your computer is in a network, If so please
remove it from the network and try to restart the computer.

Please disconnect all the devices from the computer except keyboard and
mouse and check whether u r able to boot normally.

When you press F8 you go to windows advance option, Choose Last Known Good
Configuration and see it fixes the issue.

If this doesnt fix it, Choose safe mode and try to login, If you manage to
login go to start , all programs , accessories, system tools and system
restore and restore the computer to an earlier time when it was working
fine. If that is not working go to start run type MSCONFIG and go to the
startup tab and remove all the programs which are starting up. If it boots
to the normal mode, try to check the programs one by one to see which
program is causing the problem.

You can also uninstall and reinstall the softwares recently installed.

2 options left are repairing windows xp, for this you have to put the xp cd
and choose repair. This would fix any files which are corrupted. what will
happen is you would lose the programs which are stored under my documents.

The last option would be to format your hard disk and install a fresh copy
of windows xp

Thank you
Sriram.V

(e-mail address removed)