Gphone: question/request

Susan Bugher

I've been tracking down this app (the link on the ACF pages is DEAD).

and I found it. . .

Program: Gphone
Company: VL Inc. (VLI) (was Gtony Inc.)
W: LFW
Ware: (Registerware)? (free) LFW (v 1.61)
http://www.winsite.com/bin/Info?5000000036853
http://dl.winsite.com/bin/downl?5000000036853
ftp://debian.lcs.mit.edu/pub/winsite/win95/netutil/GPNB105E.exe
1514 KB

but. . . ;)

That file may be an earlier version. according to NoNags the file name
is GPN161.exe - See:
http://www.nonags.com/nonags/confv.html

and. . .

NoNags says it's Registerware.

The Winsite download seems to be the last *available* free version.
Would someone like to check it out - verify the version - see if it
needs to be Registered (which is probably not possible) etc.?

TIA

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Al Klein

NoNags says it's Registerware.

Since it depends on a server, you have to register with the server.
It's not Registerware in the normal sense in which we use the word
here.
The Winsite download seems to be the last *available* free version.
Would someone like to check it out - verify the version - see if it
needs to be Registered (which is probably not possible) etc.?

It does - it can't be. So it's "uselessware" now.

Susan Bugher

Al said:
Since it depends on a server, you have to register with the server.
It's not Registerware in the normal sense in which we use the word
here.

I wasn't sure about the need for a server because the blurb at

http://www.winsite.com/bin/Info?5000000036853

says "Simply input your partners IP address and you'll be talking FREE
to anyone, anywhere in the world in no time at all."
It does - it can't be. So it's "uselessware" now.

Thanks Al.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Al Klein

I wasn't sure about the need for a server because the blurb at

http://www.winsite.com/bin/Info?5000000036853

says "Simply input your partners IP address and you'll be talking FREE
to anyone, anywhere in the world in no time at all."

Hmmm. Could be that the system is peer-to-peer (no server needed),
but since I can't register, I can't verify that either way - yes or
no. Technically either one is just as likely.

Susan Bugher

Al said:
Hmmm. Could be that the system is peer-to-peer (no server needed),
but since I can't register, I can't verify that either way - yes or
no. Technically either one is just as likely.

Thanks again for the help - I'll "retire" this app (remove it from the
ACF list).

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware