Program: Bifocal Notepad
Author: (Dennis Vanderspek)
Install: (n.i.)
W: LFW
Ware: (Freeware) v 1.0
http://www.freewareweb.com/cgi-bin/archive.cgi?ID=1254

apps that can read aloud - can't think of any names ATM. . .

what else. . . apps? categories?

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://google.ca/advanced_group_search?q=+group:alt.comp.freeware

sno

Multilingual talking clock...

http://www.lux-aeterna.com/clock/

ReadPlease, text reader...

http://www.readplease.com/english/readplease.php

hope help.....have fun......sno

Susan said:
Tony (UK) posted yesterday that he is updating his web site and will be
listing disability Freeware. Hurrah says I. :) There doesn't seem to be
a good list on the web right now.

What apps are useful for people with disabilities?

a few categories. . .

magnifiers
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_DESKTOP.php#5.00Magnify

virtual keyboards:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_DESKTOP.php#1.11Keyboard:Virtual

mouse emulator (using joystick)
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_DESKTOP.php#1.12Inputdevicetool

hear a sound when you press a key
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_DESKTOP.php#1.11Keyboard:HearYourselfType

Program: Bifocal Notepad
Author: (Dennis Vanderspek)
Install: (n.i.)
W: LFW
Ware: (Freeware) v 1.0
http://www.freewareweb.com/cgi-bin/archive.cgi?ID=1254

apps that can read aloud - can't think of any names ATM. . .

what else. . . apps? categories?

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://google.ca/advanced_group_search?q=+group:alt.comp.freeware

Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it

This tag line is generated by:

SLTG (Silly Little Tag Generator)

Susan Bugher

Bjorn Simonsen

Susan Bugher wrote in said:
but, but, but. . . Google is *second-best* ;)

This group knows about apps that Google never heard of or has forgetten.

I know. Just teasing. Can input much here but one site I have visited
from time to time for disability related links and info -
since...way back... is "CAMERA OBSCURA"
<http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/index.html>
with sections such as:
"Speech-Friendly Applications and Utilities"
<http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/blind.html#soft>

All the best,
Bjorn Simonsen

Susan Bugher

Deer in the Headlights

but, but, but. . . Google is *second-best* ;)

This group knows about apps that Google never heard of or has forgetten.

Susan

Susan,

Thanks for taking the time to make this statement. It's a never-ending
frustration to me when people come in here asking for help are are told
to look in Google. I've tried to include the fact that I have looked in
Google when I do post, and it just seems counterproductive to me that we
can't help first and offer alternatives next.

Or maybe it's just a reflection of some people's dependence on Google...

DITH

just me

Susan Bugher said:
Tony (UK) posted yesterday that he is updating his web site and will be
listing disability Freeware. Hurrah says I. :) There doesn't seem to be a
good list on the web right now.

What apps are useful for people with disabilities?

a few categories. . .

magnifiers

One freeware that can enhance pictures coming from a webcam:
www.portanum.com

"Vision software designed for the visually impaired:
With PortaNum software and a webcam connected to a laptop, people with
visual impairments can now :
read slides, whiteboards, etc.
improve visual comfort
save images on the PC
save notes while watching images on screen..."

Susan Bugher

just said:
One freeware that can enhance pictures coming from a webcam:
www.portanum.com

"Vision software designed for the visually impaired:
With PortaNum software and a webcam connected to a laptop, people with
visual impairments can now :
read slides, whiteboards, etc.
improve visual comfort
save images on the PC
save notes while watching images on screen..."

I spent much longer reading about that app than I meant to. It
apparently was originally developed for students (classroom use) but has
many other uses.

I was intrigued with the suggestion that it could be used for reading.
My aunt has a screen reader and she loves it. She can slide a letter,
newspager etc. under a monitor and view the magnified text on the
screen. With this app a webcam is used to capture the image that's shown
on the screen. The display can be adjusted to suit - there are *many*
options to make the display easier to read - it's not just magnification.

Wish I had a webcam so I could try it. . .

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://google.ca/advanced_group_search?q=+group:alt.comp.freeware

Susan Bugher

wish you did too i tried it and the magnifier didnt work or some of
the other settings.

IIRC it's supposed to work on Win 98 and up (requires DirectX 8 or
newer). What OS are you using? Webcam? Type of connection? Did you try
it on JPGs or bitmaps or just with a webcam?

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Susan said:
IIRC it's supposed to work on Win 98 and up (requires DirectX 8 or
newer). What OS are you using? Webcam? Type of connection? Did you try
it on JPGs or bitmaps or just with a webcam?

Susan

Wonder if you could have a cam tape a book....as you turned pages
and then convert to ebook....seems would be easier then scanning...
it is supposed to be able to save pic in jpg format....

thank you for listening to my thoughts....have fun.....sno

Ardent

snipped

I was intrigued with the suggestion that it could be used for reading.
My aunt has a screen reader and she loves it. She can slide a letter,
newspager etc. under a monitor and view the magnified text on the
screen. With this app a webcam is used to capture the image that's shown
on the screen. The display can be adjusted to suit - there are *many*
options to make the display easier to read - it's not just magnification.

Wish I had a webcam so I could try it. . .

The site was a little too much for me. Do you have a download URI
please?

TIA

Susan Bugher

Ardent said:

The site was a little too much for me. Do you have a download URI
please?

Program: PortaNum
Author: Thales S.A.
Ware: (Freeware) (free for personal use)
Http://www.portanum.com/

http://www.portanum.com/data/InstallPN32.exe
(1596 KB)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

sno said:
Susan Bugher wrote:
Wonder if you could have a cam tape a book....as you turned pages
and then convert to ebook....seems would be easier then scanning...
it is supposed to be able to save pic in jpg format....

ISTM it would be easier to use a digital camera than a webcam (either
way the images might not be good enough to use OCR on the text though).

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://google.ca/advanced_group_search?q=+group:alt.comp.freeware

Scott Berry

I spent much longer reading about that app than I meant to. It
apparently was originally developed for students (classroom use) but has
many other uses.

I was intrigued with the suggestion that it could be used for reading.
My aunt has a screen reader and she loves it. She can slide a letter,
newspager etc. under a monitor and view the magnified text on the
screen. With this app a webcam is used to capture the image that's shown
on the screen. The display can be adjusted to suit - there are *many*
options to make the display easier to read - it's not just magnification.

Wish I had a webcam so I could try it. . .

Susan
Hi Susqan,

Does your aunt have a screen reader or screen enlarger? There is a
difference. A screen reader voices the text where as a screen enlarger
enlarges the print and speaks depending on what screen enlarger you
purchase?

Susan Bugher

Scott said:
Does your aunt have a screen reader or screen enlarger? There is a
difference. A screen reader voices the text where as a screen enlarger
enlarges the print and speaks depending on what screen enlarger you
purchase?

It only magnifies (as described above). Apologies for apparently using
an improper name for the device.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://google.ca/advanced_group_search?q=+group:alt.comp.freeware

Scott Berry

Hey not a problem. I just wanted to let you know the difference. I am
totally blind myself.

denied

IIRC it's supposed to work on Win 98 and up (requires DirectX 8 or
newer). What OS are you using? Webcam? Type of connection? Did you try
it on JPGs or bitmaps or just with a webcam?

Susan
directx9.0,win xp,intel webcam,cable,tried all settings.still no
changes.