[ACF] updated program info files are available for download

Susan Bugher

Updated ACF program information files are available for Treepad, dbEdit,
spreadsheets. . .

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/ftp/acf_List_2006-03-06.csv
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/ftp/acf_List_2006-03-06.hjt
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/ftp/acf_List_2006-03-06.txt

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

MLC

lunedì 6 marzo 2006 Susan Bugher ha scritto:
You're very welcome Maria. :)

This your work is extremely useful, a wonderful resource.

Do you like if I indicate to you when a link is dead or when goes to a non
longer free app?

For example I've found that

ORGANIZERS 2.01 Calendar-Reminders]
ID# 1390

Program: Countdown
Company: Contact Plus Corporation
Install:
W:
Ware: (Freeware)
http://www.contactplus.com/products/freestuff/

is no longer freeware.

I din't search too much for a LFW link because I stumbled upon this other:

AleJenJes Countdown Timer v2.1
No install
zip 89k
http://www.gonebowlin.com/freeware.html

Last question:
acf_List_2006-03-06.hjt works great until I close it, then TreePad Lite
freezes and I have to use the TaskManager to end it.
This happens always (Windows XP Pro SP2).
Does it happen to you? Do you know a workaround?
Otherwise I'll take it always open ;-)

Ciao :)

Susan Bugher

MLC said:
Do you like if I indicate to you when a link is dead or when goes to a non
longer free app?

YES! Please! Pretty please with sugar on it! etc. etc. etc.
For example I've found that

ORGANIZERS 2.01 Calendar-Reminders]
ID# 1390

Program: Countdown
Company: Contact Plus Corporation
Install:
W:
Ware: (Freeware)
http://www.contactplus.com/products/freestuff/

is no longer freeware.

Thank you. :) I've revised as follows for now:

Program: Countdown
Author: Contact Plus Corporation
Install: --
W: LFW
Ware: (Freeware) last freeware version (v 3.2)
I din't search too much for a LFW link because I stumbled upon this other:

AleJenJes Countdown Timer v2.1
No install
zip 89k
http://www.gonebowlin.com/freeware.html

FWIW that's in the Treepad file too. :)
Last question:
acf_List_2006-03-06.hjt works great until I close it, then TreePad Lite
freezes and I have to use the TaskManager to end it.
This happens always (Windows XP Pro SP2).
Does it happen to you? Do you know a workaround?

I've never had that happen. Sometimes when I save/close my HUGE
software.hjt file I see a "not responding" message - but if I wait in
just a little while it resumes normal operation.

ISTM with a bit of detective work we should be able to figure out a
cure/workaround. Is it just this file or do other Treepad files freeze too?

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

MLC

mercoledì 8 marzo 2006 Susan Bugher ha scritto:
MLC wrote:
YES! Please! Pretty please with sugar on it! etc. etc. etc.

OK. But keep an eye on your glucose level :-D

[...]
FWIW that's in the Treepad file too. :)

Oops, I didn't see it. Now I wonder what it is *not* in your file ;-)

[...]
I've never had that happen. Sometimes when I save/close my HUGE
software.hjt file I see a "not responding" message - but if I wait in
just a little while it resumes normal operation.

I waited 2 minutes, with the CPU growing and growing...
ISTM with a bit of detective work we should be able to figure out a
cure/workaround. Is it just this file or do other Treepad files freeze too?

The only other file I tried is the TreePad manual, which is small and closes
fine.
Anyway, it's a relief that I can close the acf file with the TaskManager
without corrupting it.

Susan Bugher

Susan said:

When I want to recommend a program I copy information about it from the
Treepad file that contains ACF program infomation. I keep hoping others
will do likewise because. . . IMHO. . .

adding the ACF program info would make Google's archive of ACF posts a
more valuable resource for the group. It's often difficult to *retrieve*
information that has been posted in ACF (the name of the app may be
slightly mispelled or a link may be posted without naming the app etc.
etc. etc.).

and while you're doing that. . . ;)

if the ACF information is outdated/ wrong a correction could be posted
along with your recommendation of the program. That would make my job
easier and make the ACF web pages a more valuable resource.

Reasons why you're not doing it now? (aka things I should change to make
this more doable)?

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Susan Bugher

MLC said:
mercoledì 8 marzo 2006 Susan Bugher ha scritto:

I waited 2 minutes, with the CPU growing and growing...

The only other file I tried is the TreePad manual, which is small and closes
fine.
Anyway, it's a relief that I can close the acf file with the TaskManager
without corrupting it.

Hmm. . . let's see what we have, don't have in common. . . I'm running
XP home edition v 5.1 SP2 (English) - Treepad Lite v 2.9.5

Treepad is the *first* file I start in the morning after I boot XP. . .
dunno if that matters. . .

My software file (ACF program info +++) ATM is a whopping 16.9 MB -
(that's the one that bogs down occasionally). . .

The acf_List_2006-03-06.hjt file is only 0.97 MB (1,026,630 bytes). . .
I just opened it *too* and closed it again (without saving) - no
problem. . . made a copy of the file, opened it, changed and deleted a
few things, saved and closed it - still no problem.

Maybe you could trying downloading the ACF .hjt file again and - if that
doesn't help - try a fresh install of Treepad as a start to solving this
problem. If neither of those things help maybe make a copy of the
acf_List_2006-03-06.hjt file and keep deleting stuff till the file is
small enough to close normally. . .

It would be nice to know if anyone else has/ doesn't have a problem. . .

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

MLC

mercoledì 8 marzo 2006 Susan Bugher ha scritto:
Hmm. . . let's see what we have, don't have in common. . . I'm running
XP home edition v 5.1 SP2 (English) - Treepad Lite v 2.9.5

XP Pro Version 2002 SP2 (Italian) - Treepad Lite v 2.9.5
Treepad is the *first* file I start in the morning after I boot XP. . .
dunno if that matters. . .

uhm, I don't think it matters :)
My software file (ACF program info +++) ATM is a whopping 16.9 MB -
(that's the one that bogs down occasionally). . .
The acf_List_2006-03-06.hjt file is only 0.97 MB (1,026,630 bytes). . .
I just opened it *too* and closed it again (without saving) - no
problem. . . made a copy of the file, opened it, changed and deleted a
few things, saved and closed it - still no problem.

I read, edit and save it without problems. It's just the close.
Maybe you could trying downloading the ACF .hjt file again and - if that
doesn't help - try a fresh install of Treepad as a start to solving this
problem. If neither of those things help maybe make a copy of the
acf_List_2006-03-06.hjt file and keep deleting stuff till the file is
small enough to close normally. . .

Uninstalled and reinstalled TreepadLite, it still freezes on closing.
Now I'm downloading the .hjt file again...

.... nothing, same glitch.
It would be nice to know if anyone else has/ doesn't have a problem. . .

Yep. Now I got an idea: could it be that TreePad doesn't like to be
installed in another partition which doesn't contain the SO?
I'm installing all new apps in another partition because I whish to be able
to clone my OS partition in only one DVD.

Anyway, don't waste more time on this issue, Susan, I'm already happy to
have and use it also this way :)

Susan Bugher

MLC said:
mercoledì 8 marzo 2006 Susan Bugher ha scritto:
XP Pro Version 2002 SP2 (Italian) - Treepad Lite v 2.9.5

uhm, I don't think it matters :)

I read, edit and save it without problems. It's just the close.

Uninstalled and reinstalled TreepadLite, it still freezes on closing.
Now I'm downloading the .hjt file again...

... nothing, same glitch.

Okay, I *downloaded* and opened the .hjt file too - no problem - so
presumably it's not a corrupt file.

I have Treepad set to not use the system tray (in the View/options menu)
- there's a glitch somewhere - Treepad still puts an icon in the system
tray when it starts - I click on it and it goes away. Didn't do that
when I opened the acf_List_2006-03-06.hjt file I noticed the icon in the
system tray hanging around for *quite* a while. Maybe try changing that
option. . .
Yep. Now I got an idea: could it be that TreePad doesn't like to be
installed in another partition which doesn't contain the SO?
I'm installing all new apps in another partition because I whish to be able
to clone my OS partition in only one DVD.

Nope - my OS system is on the C partition (NTFS), Treepad and the .hjt
file are both on the G partition (FAT 32).
Anyway, don't waste more time on this issue, Susan, I'm already happy to
have and use it also this way :)

but, but, but - I *like* figuring this kind of thing out. ;)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

honyakusha

MLC wrote:
It would be nice to know if anyone else has/ doesn't have a problem. . .

Treepad Asia Ver. 2.9.4, Windows 2000 Professional

I am having a problem after I open the 2006-03-06 hjt, and try to open
some other hjt file in the same folder, Treepad freezes. Even if I close
this file, Treepad freezes. This is the first time I experienced Treepad
freezing in this way. I thought it was probably some problem with my
system, but since others are having a similar problem with the acf file,
I'm reporting it.

FWIW, System Info in Treepad shows free virtual memory as 244816 KB,
free internal memory as 64,026 KB.

I need to try other hjt files, but am unable to close the 2006-03-06.hjt
file without Treepad freezing!

GR

Susan Bugher

honyakusha said:
Treepad Asia Ver. 2.9.4, Windows 2000 Professional

I am having a problem after I open the 2006-03-06 hjt, and try to open
some other hjt file in the same folder, Treepad freezes. Even if I close
this file, Treepad freezes. This is the first time I experienced Treepad
freezing in this way. I thought it was probably some problem with my
system, but since others are having a similar problem with the acf file,
I'm reporting it.

FWIW, System Info in Treepad shows free virtual memory as 244816 KB,
free internal memory as 64,026 KB.

I need to try other hjt files, but am unable to close the 2006-03-06.hjt
file without Treepad freezing!

Please do me a favor. I've uploaded an old acf file - could you try that
and see if you have the same problem:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/ftp/acf_Programs2004-12-11.hjt

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

honyakusha

Please do me a favor. I've uploaded an old acf file - could you try that
and see if you have the same problem:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/ftp/acf_Programs2004-12-11.hjt

OK. Here is some information.

1) Opened 2004-12-11.hjt, and closed it. Took about 5 seconds to close
it.
2) Opened the same file, and switched over to another hjt file, without
closing it. Took about 10 seconds to open the other hjt file.

3) 90 seconds up, Treepad remains frozen, CTRL + ALT +DEL shows Treepad
not responding.

4) 180 seconds up - Still no response from Treepad.

5) 210 seconds - Treepad HAS CLOSED DOWN the file 2006-03-06.hjt after
about 3.5 minutes.

Looks like the latest file takes about 3.5 minutes to close down. Don't
know why. Go figure!

Hope that helps somebody.

GR

honyakusha

Sorry, I missed two lines between 2) and 3) and have revised the
sequence.
1) Opened 2004-12-11.hjt, and closed it. Took about 5 seconds to close
it.
2) Opened the same file, and switched over to another hjt file, without
closing it. Took about 10 seconds to open the other hjt file.

3) Launched Treepad and opened 2006-03-06.hjt. Opens OK.
4) Closed 2006-03-06.hjt

3) 90 seconds up, Treepad remains frozen, CTRL + ALT +DEL shows Treepad
not responding.

4) 180 seconds up - Still no response from Treepad.

5) 210 seconds - Treepad HAS CLOSED DOWN the file 2006-03-06.hjt after
about 3.5 minutes.

HTH.

Susan Bugher

honyakusha said:
On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 19:01:27 -0500
OK. Here is some information.

1) Opened 2004-12-11.hjt, and closed it. Took about 5 seconds to close
it.
2) Opened the same file, and switched over to another hjt file, without
closing it. Took about 10 seconds to open the other hjt file.
3) 90 seconds up, Treepad remains frozen, CTRL + ALT +DEL shows Treepad
not responding.

4) 180 seconds up - Still no response from Treepad.

5) 210 seconds - Treepad HAS CLOSED DOWN the file 2006-03-06.hjt after
about 3.5 minutes.

I'm lost - when did you open it?
Looks like the latest file takes about 3.5 minutes to close down. Don't
know why. Go figure!

I'm thinking *maybe* it's because there are roughly 4000 subnodes under
one node. The 2004-12-11.hjt apps are grouped under alphabetical
subnodes (A, B, C etc.) - new test file coming up soon. . .

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

David

Author: Contact Plus Corporation
Install: --
[...]

That sounds to me as if it is just saving the file and releasing the
memory. I'd learn to live with it or buy a new machine with mumble...

Susan Bugher

honyakusha said:
Sorry, I missed two lines between 2) and 3) and have revised the
sequence.

Thanks, that was my best *guess*. ;) Nice to have it confirmed.

A new file for you to test if you have the strength.

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/ftp/acf_List_2006-03-08.hjt

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware