giving up smoking

Reaction score
Anyone here given up smoking? If so have anyone used [Champix] and did it work?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Champix does work. Me sister a30 year smoker and me niece a 15 year smoker and meself a 35 year smoker all used it and it worked.

Only use after seeing your doctor as it can react badly with some specific complaints.

Was the easiest and most painless way I have ever tried for stopping smoking.

Good luck.

:thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I gave up, didn't need "drugs" to help, the awful taste of NRT was enough, took a week though to stop sucking on one of them things.

:wave:

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Nicotine patches and opal fruits for me...was 40 a day 6 years ago :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Surgery, chemotherapy, radiotherapy, lack of taste and a permanently dry mouth done the trick for me :thumb: :)

Reaction score
I'm still trying to tell my brain i'm killing myself....i'm on about 25 a day now.....that champix sounds promising enough. I know a few who have kicked the habit using it although i hear it gives ya nightmares.

Reaction score
I where smoking 80 a day:nod: , down to 10;) now but! I find the habit very difficult to kick into touch, I was reading about [Champix] I will be seeing the Dr on the 3rd Feb so he can decide if I am able to take [Champix] without any severe side effects.

Thanks guys.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
itsme - good luck

I don't like to preach but if you'd been through what I went through and seen some of the sights I saw you'd quit instantly.

As I stared up at the radiation machine feeling self-concious about the feeding tube inserted through the lining of my stomach I always muttered to myself 'Why was I so ******* stupid?'

Having said that, everybody's different and many folk will never suffer serious illness through smoking.

But it will have a detrimental affect on your health, I think everybody knows that, not to mention the effect on your wallet.

Every time you buy a packet of cigs you're lining Gordon Browns' pockets ;)

captain zed said:
...although i hear it gives ya nightmares.

Stuff & nonsense. The real nightmare is the consultant giving you the news they're going to have to cut out your tongue and voice box leaving you unable to speak, a permanent hole in your throat and only being able to take nourishment in liquid form where it's pumped through a tube inserted into your stomach.

It happened to Jack Wild, he who played The Artful Dodger in Oliver.

I honestly think all that's needed to make people quit smoking is a tour showing the real effect of smoking.

And it's not just cancer, you may lose your leg or need oxygen the rest of your life, they're just a couple of other goodies tobacco can do to you.

I suppose I am a little passionate about this, it's just that I honestly don't want anybody I'm vaguely fond of to go through what I did or even worse.

Good luck the pair of you.

Reaction score
Indeed good luck to all of you who are trying to give up on smoking. As a person who has never ever smoked I really can`t under stand the lure of putting,in your mouth ,a tube of paper packed with dried leaves and then setting light to it---strange.

historian

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
"And you do what with it, Walt?" :D

How many of you are old enough to know what this is about?

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Sounds like you are already going in the right direction itsme, and I too, wish you the best of luck in overcoming this last hurdle. You can do it :nod: :thumb:

nivrip said:
"And you do what with it, Walt?" :D

How many of you are old enough to know what this is about?

And for anyone who isn't, there is a (text) sample here :D

Reaction score
When I die I am going to stick that sword right up old Walts you know what, with the handle in first and watch the ba##ard try getting it out.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I am a smoker since last 35 years, most of those at 40 a day. I gave up in the mid 90's for 5 months and those five months were the most blurry days of my life, couldn't think straight, did not know most of the time whether I had just switched on the computer or just finished my work and switching it off, needless to say I felt like a vegetable. :mad:

I had a lot of support from everyone in the office including my boss, but I felt horrible and started back on and have continued since then.
wallbash.gif

I have cut down since last year or so to 20 a day and trying hard to manage to get it down to 10 a day. I am 51 but finding it hard to keep pace with 71 year old non-smokers, yes it does kill you slowly there is no doubt about that. :(

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Quadophile said:
yes it does kill you slowly there is no doubt about that. :(

But when the time comes it is fairly quick.

Lung cancer usually progresses at a rapid rate.

Reaction score
Quadophile said:
I am a smoker since last 35 years, most of those at 40 a day. I gave up in the mid 90's for 5 months and those five months were the most blurry days of my life, couldn't think straight, did not know most of the time whether I had just switched on the computer or just finished my work and switching it off, needless to say I felt like a vegetable. :mad:

I had a lot of support from everyone in the office including my boss, but I felt horrible and started back on and have continued since then.
wallbash.gif

I have cut down since last year or so to 20 a day and trying hard to manage to get it down to 10 a day. I am 51 but finding it hard to keep pace with 71 year old non-smokers, yes it does kill you slowly there is no doubt about that. :(

I know how ya feel my man....i'm finding the air a bit thin too.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
nivrip said:

Not neccessarily.

My father died of emphysema (spelling?) as a result of heavy smoking from the age of 9 and partly as a result of managing to catch both malaria and pneumonia simultaneously in India during WW2, it has to be said.

Although he gave up smoking aged 58 the lung disease slowly crippled him until the age of 80, when he just collapsed and died at home one evening.

And some forms of cancer can be very drawn out with perhaps years of suffering to look forward to.

Everybody associates lung cancer with cancer but oral cancer as a result of smoking is much more common.

Oral cancer often results in tongue loss and voice box loss which doesn't make life very pleasant.

I know I'm banging on about it but I like the smokers we have here and I don't want them to suffer.

Some withdrawal pangs and a month or so of climbing up the wall is infinitely preferable than causing some rogue cells to start multiplying and eat you away.

I will always, as ever, add the caveat - it is down to the individual and some will be lucky enough not to have a steady stream of carcinogenics streaming down their mouth, throat and into their lungs give them cancer.

It's just the way we're built but do you want to play Russian Roulette?

Of course, there's aways thrombosis, heart disease and a 101 other lovely diseases that you may contract as a result of pulling on some nicotine :)

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
nivrip said:

Lung cancer usually progresses at a rapid rate.

I was referring specifically to lung cancer.

As to the other illnesses caused by smoking, I was referring to the end of the long slow killing period.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I'm on day 5 now and only taking one 0.5mg champix a day. Took two 0.5mg for ten days before I took the plunge.
How do I feel. I'm cream crackered as I'm driving 250 to 300 miles a day.Bet your all glad your not on the roads up here at the moment.
laughingsmiley.gif

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
All this that I am reading here, I wish I had the sense of understanding when I started. I did some rough calculations and the amount of money that I have spent on them I could have bought a house of me own.

Remember, you always pay for the damn things twice, once when you get them and then later when they get you!

Flops/Smokers: This thread should be made a sticky, for the benefit of all others, what do you say?

Ask a Question