I quit smoking tomorrow......oh no!!

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi all,

Well i have finally taken up the decision to quit smoking.

I'm only 27 and have smoked since i was 16.

I used to smoke about 10 a day, joined the Army and smoked between 20 - 40 a day.

After leaving the Army in Dec 2007, i have cut down alot and changed to Menthols, only smoke about 8 a day.

But as from tomorrow i have decided to quit, my Missus is pleased as she doesn't like it and none of my mates smoke anymore, plus i heard its bad for you :lol:, also i am sick of being treated like a second class citizen having to stand outside pubs and clubs and its getting cold so...

No nicotine replacement, gonna do it old school and go cold turkey, most of my mates who have quit say if you last 3 days you will be fine.

Have stocked up on chewing gum.

Wish me luck.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Good luck WF :nod:

I know there are a few others on here that have given up, so I'm sure they'll be able to offer extra tips from ex-smokers :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
You're a very wise chap and I wish you luck.

It's not easy and you will likely almost crumble many times.

But don't.

If you could just begin to imagine what I went through as a result of smoking, you'd actually quit right now, not tomorrow.

Looking up at the radiation machine, my head clamped in a full mask, I kept wondering 'How could I have been so stupid?'

I note, with some interest, the Goverment are forcing tobacco pedlars to put photos of throat cancer on their packaging.

They should have done that years ago.

Anyhow, enough of my preaching - I wish you luck :thumb:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I wish you the best of luck also WF :thumb: It makes good sense (listen hard to Flopps) :nod: :wave:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Do you have kids? A great tip I heard of was to put a small picture of your kids (or your missus if she's really anti-smoking and you have no kids) in the fag packet so that every time you open the packet you see people you don't want to suffer by your smoking.

I know a few people who found it very helpful. :nod:

Best of luck in your attempt. :thumb:

Reaction score
Hi WF.

May I wish you all the best in trying to give up smoking.
I`ve never ever smoked a cigarette or a pipe as I couldn`t see the point of any it.
historian.

Last edited:

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
nivrip said:
Do you have kids? A great tip I heard of was to put a small picture of your kids (or your missus if she's really anti-smoking and you have no kids) in the fag packet so that every time you open the packet you see people you don't want to suffer by your smoking.

I know a few people who found it very helpful.
nod.gif

Best of luck in your attempt. :thumb:

Hi Niv,

No i don't have any kids, yet,

I have 4 cigarettes left and i'm gonna smoke em all before i go to bed, i collected all the cash in the apartment and given it to my missus, she has my bank cards as well so i don't have any money to buy any smokes.

I have four weeks left before i start my new job, so tomorrow i plan to stay in bed til about 2, get up have some food, tidy the apartment then go back to bed.

In short i plan to spend as much time in bed as possible. :p

Thanks to all for the messages of good luck, i'm panicking just thinking about it.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Looking up at the radiation machine, my head clamped in a full mask, I kept wondering 'How could I have been so stupid?'

:thumb:

I'm intrigued Flopps, if its okay with you can you tell me more, i think it will deffo help to read what happened to you.

I have searched and found lots of pictures of what cigarettes do and now have them as my desktop and screensaver, so that should spur me on.

Well its 0140 in the a.m., have just finished watching Tigerland on BBC1, made the girlfriends lunch and am now off for my final cigarette.

Technically its already tomorrow, but hey, hopefully its the last one i ever have.

What am i gonna do with my morning coffee, i never thought of it!!!!!!!!!!

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
What am i gonna do with my morning coffee, i never thought of it!!!!!!!!!!

Sit somewhere different when you have A.M. coffee. A large part of things like smoking are habits. I'll bet you ALWAYS sit on the same chair every morning and, with your coffee, you have a fag. You have become conditioned into a certain pattern, as we all do. Change the pattern of your morning by doing things differently - different chair, different room even, read the paper after coffee instead of with it etc. etc.

There are lots of things you can do to break the old pattern which makes it easier to do without the dreaded smokes. :thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I announced some time ago that I was giving up smoking ... I surprised myself, never mind everyone around me, and actually succeeded. :nod:

I did get help and used one of the many free services that give support and, more importantly, NRT or Nicotine Replacement Therapy.

The NRT did help, but they tasted absolutely crap I gave up on them within three days. :D

Good luck, I hope you succeed ...

I have a box of NRT left if you need 'em. ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Here ya go

It's a long thread but if you have the patience you can see the story unfold - all caused by smoking, so my consultant tells me.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I stopped in the new year. I used CHAMPIX not for the recomended three months, just used em for four weeks. Helped tremendously, I never bit anyones head of and giving up was easy. You do need to go through the doc's to get them for free as they are pretty spensive.
Sadly after five months I started again.
So good luck.

happywave.gif

Reaction score
Good Luck Waynos_Face. :thumb:
I gave up 14 years ago & if i feel the urge i buy some nicotine gum or inhaltor.
That said the local shop have banned me from buying ciggies since 94!

If you need support or just want to discuss things PM me or post here. :nod:

Reaction score
I went cold-turkey and had a dream of a giant ciggy chasing me down the road.
My GP nearly peed himself laughing so much!

Been on/off the NRT for the last year or so, but better than going back to smoking.
Lots of support from the NHS if you need it!!

Oh & good luck WF.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Here ya go

It's a long thread but if you have the patience you can see the story unfold - all caused by smoking, so my consultant tells me.

Throat and Tongue cancer??? Thats pretty unlucky Flopps, glad you're all cured and everything.

Thanks to everyone for the wishes of goodluck, hopefully my arrogant self will win.

My head hurts and i'm already sick of my head saying " Well you don't want to give up anyway, bla bla bla"

And me thinking right i'll wash up go and have a fag, then do this...... Arrrggghhh i don't smoke, i don't want a smoke, but you doWayne you want 20 smokes, you want all the smokes in the world.

Then i get the evil in me, chanting smoke smoke smoke continously in my head.

Am going back to bed.

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
I stopped about 6 years ago 40+ a day , use 15mg nicotine patches and cut them in half ( were expensive back then, no government help) , its hard really hard but if you have the will you can do it. The only advice i can give is persevere , you will become irritable , hungry but you will sleep less !! because you will have more energy and the cough goes. In 5 years your lungs will be back to the state of a non smoker ...so i read once..anyway goodluck :wave:

Reaction score
Wish you the best of luck mate..I really hope you can pull it off...Took me a few attempts, but I stopped in the end....I can't really give any advice on how to stop..But as others have posted, parts of smoking involve routine, trying to break that can be hard..One thing I will say watch what you eat..I piled on the pounds when I stopped...

Reaction score
I used to treat myself once a day to something nice.
Reward yourself by using the money to buy something nice?
And each day your a non-smoker give yourself a pat on the back for doing so well.
And if in doubt post here for some cyber TLC!

Ask a Question