Games Freezing

Reaction score
I've been playing games on my PC for quite sometime and I have good enough equipment to play just about anything, but here lately all my games will play for a bit then freeze for about 15 seconds, then resume playing. It started when I got Audiosurf. It started to do that during the songs, then as I decided to start playing Black and White 2 again, it will do the same. It plays fine, then freezes for about 15 seconds and the sound will freeze for that amount of time, then resume playing as if nothing happened. It does it quite frequently and it is very annoying. Someone please help! I'll answer any questions regarding my pc or anything to the best of my abilities if necessary. Please do help!

Reaction score
Hello,

Can you please post your system specs so we can take a look, also it could be down to a number of issues you might need to up-date your video drivers, have you checked your pc for spyware and viruses?

Wiz

Reaction score
Windows XP SP2
AMD Athlon 64 Processor
3800+
2.41 GHz, 3.00 GB of RAM
Video Card - NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT
Motherboard - NVIDIA nForce 570 Ultra (I think. That's what the setup disk for it has on it, so it may or may not be it, im not sure. I'll have to get back to you on that)
Sound Drivers - up-to-date
Video Drivers - 175.16

No viruses or anything (I keep my comp CLEAN ^_^ )

BUT a while back (prior to all this happening) My friend Lane, who knows what he is doing with computers, set me up on Age of Conan. He put in 2 more memory sticks which bumped me up from 1G of RAM to 3. Think it could be bad memory possibly? Age of Conan didn't have this problem though, it's just my other games that do.

Reaction score
ReploidKid said:
Windows XP SP2
AMD Athlon 64 Processor
3800+
2.41 GHz, 3.00 GB of RAM
Video Card - NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT
Motherboard - NVIDIA nForce 570 Ultra (I think. That's what the setup disk for it has on it, so it may or may not be it, im not sure. I'll have to get back to you on that)
Sound Drivers - up-to-date
Video Drivers - 175.16

No viruses or anything (I keep my comp CLEAN ^_^ )

BUT a while back (prior to all this happening) My friend Lane, who knows what he is doing with computers, set me up on Age of Conan. He put in 2 more memory sticks which bumped me up from 1G of RAM to 3. Think it could be bad memory possibly? Age of Conan didn't have this problem though, it's just my other games that do.

Hi,

Could well be bad ram best to check and see with this. let it run for about 2hours and see if it finds anything if it finds something then remove one module at a time and test again and see if you get errors.

Edit, is the game fully patched?

Regards,

Wiz

Reaction score
Alrighty. Ill do that, thank you! ill letcha know what the results are. ^_^

And patches, I just reinstalled the game yesterday, so i shall check to see if there are any.

Reaction score
Well, I know for a fact that it wasn't a patch problem, so it must be ad memory. I'm afraid to do that program you linked to me though because:

1. I dunno which to download on that link
2. I'm skiddish when it comes to things like that because I'm afraid of messing my computer up.
3. I'm going to call my friend Lane tomorrow about the memory anyway

But I do thank you for all your help, and I will be sure to contact you if I do need any more help later on. . .

If you don't mind that is ^_^

Once again, thank you!

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
It started when I got Audiosurf. It started to do that during the songs, then as I decided to start playing Black and White 2 again, it will do the same.

Have you tried uninstalling Audiosurf ? That could be where your problem lies.

happywave.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Follow whizkids advice and check your ram, his link is a safe one. Then you will at least know if your memory is ok or not.

happywave.gif

Reaction score
I just finished the Memtest, it said "Pass complete, no errors"

Soo. . .what now?? :confused: :wall:

Last edited:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Only thing I can sugest is to try and borrow a sound card from a mate and see if it gives you the same result, also try a different set of speakers. Someone may come up with some other sugestions.

user.gif

Reaction score
Well see, its not JUST the sound. The sound lags whenever the game freezes.

Do any of you guys know of a good virus/spyware removal software that is effective? I think it's a virus because my memory is fine, and this also happened when I tried to play B&W2 again. Here is a screenshot:

http://s208.photobucket.com/albums/bb7/JollyRogersOne/?action=view¤t=Screen.jpg

Alot of the villagers are like that in the game. . .So I do believe its a virus of some sort. . .:(

Also I tried to play simple games like Runescape and ssuch to see if the infamous random 15 second freeze would occur, and sadly it did, so it MUST be a virus. . .

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I try and play LotRO, I get a random freeze, anything from a second or two to over a min ... I'm working on turning off some of the bells-n-whistles of the game to try and improve performance. :rolleyes:

I also installed a reasonably priced sound card, the sound is now WOW, and, works ALL the time now. :D

I'm not a gamer, I play a few games, but I learned one thing ... you need four times the recommended spec, and some. :nod:

The bottom line with most games is, update update update.

:user:

Reaction score
Well see I was playing B&W2 when it first came out with no problem, believe me my computer is WELL equipped to play THAT game. It played Age of Conan no problem, so i KNOW its not a hardware issue :/

Reaction score
ReploidKid said:
I just finished the Memtest, it said "Pass complete, no errors"

Soo. . .what now?? :confused: :wall:

Glad to here that the ram is cleared of any errors, have you looked on the internet to see if this game as a online forums they might be able to help as well.

Regards,

Wiz

Reaction score
Ok this has gone WAY beyond just B&W2! I cant play ANY game without it freezing. i KNOW it's not a memory problem because I took the 2 new memory sticks out so i had my original ones and it STILL froze, so bad memory is ruled out. It's some kind of virus because it is screwing with my graphics and the complete game itsself. I can't even play WoW because of it. I am in DIRE need of a way to detect this virus or bug and get rid of it.

Reaction score
Good Morning,

It does sound like it could be a viurs I would dubble check to make sure with the software that I have listed below.

http://www.free-av.com/en/download/1/avira_antivir_personal__free_antivirus.html

http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html

Also make sure that you have all the latest vedio drivers installed. Remove any other Anti Viurs and spyware programs before instaliing the ones that I have listed above. Do you get any error codes at all when the games freeze?

Regards,

Wiz

Reaction score
No error codes at all. The game just freezes for a short time then unfreezes and the music freezes with it. I can't even take 2 steps in WoW without it happening. Sometimes it will freeze, and sometimes the graphics will go CRAZY, looking like some kind of bad acid trip or something!

P.S. Would Ad aware SE Personal and CCleaner be considered antivirus programs that i need to delete?

Reaction score
ReploidKid said:
No error codes at all. The game just freezes for a short time then unfreezes and the music freezes with it. I can't even take 2 steps in WoW without it happening. Sometimes it will freeze, and sometimes the graphics will go CRAZY, looking like some kind of bad acid trip or something!

P.S. Would Ad aware SE Personal and CCleaner be considered antivirus programs that i need to delete?

Hi,

Just remove adware se and replace it with the anti spyware program that I listed. Also have you checked that you are using the latest verison of CCleaner? Have you checked your GFX card to make sure that there is no build up of dust in the card?

Regards,

Wiz

Ask a Question