FYI to ACF participants

Craig

Susan said:
The PWH site received an email that made the following request:

"This program is no longer a freeware. Please remove from your
listing."

Susan, et al;

I agree that, "If (the author) does nothing we do nothing." Wrt
responding to the author's statement, end of story. We've /responded/
to his/her request. No big deal.

Beyond that discrete episode, this situation brings up a /usability/
issue. That is, when I'm looking at using a piece of software, one of
the attributes I look at is: how strong is the "community?" That is,

-how long has the developer company been active
-how long has the product been out there
-how active is the product development
-how communicative is the developer/company
-how strong is the support mechanism (faq, etc)
-how inclusive is the developer/company (forums, wikis, etc)

For example, of the 20 or so freeware apps I use regularly, I've become
a part of 3 or 4 user/developer communities. In light of this
developer's request though, there is no more (freeware) community. In
fact, the author would probably be /antagonistic/ to new users
(continued freeware community). This would affect how I use a product.

I'd want to know about this situation pretty darned quickly. We could
label it abandon- or orphanware but really, the definitions don't fit.
This looks like a new type of -ware. Hence...

Pulledware: Although this software is available and /apparently/ legal
to use, the author requests that you don't.

Think of it as a road sign such as "Caution, Curves Ahead," or some
such. It puts the onus on the potential user while making sure that acf
remains a /comprehensive/ forum for freeware discussion.

-Craig

Susan Bugher

Craig said:
[...]

IIRC few authors support last freeware versions. IMO most Freeware
turned $ware authors *wish* the last free version of the app would go
away - some of them plan ahead to *ensure* it that it does (keyed
registrationware etc.).
Think of it as a road sign such as "Caution, Curves Ahead," or some
such. It puts the onus on the potential user while making sure that acf
remains a /comprehensive/ forum for freeware discussion.

I think the points you mentioned are important when evaluating Freeware
apps. IOW - ask yourself "Will this app *stay* free?" IMO discussing a
bait and switch app - one that will soon be #ware - is free publicity
for the bad guys. FWIW - I'm still playing catch-up - a backlog of apps
that aren't yet listed on the ACF program information pages. It's
amazing how quickly some apps move from Freeware to $ware. . .
sometimes procrastination is good. . . ;)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Vegard Krog Petersen

IIRC few authors support last freeware versions. IMO most Freeware
turned $ware authors *wish* the last free version of the app would go
away - some of them plan ahead to *ensure* it that it does (keyed
registrationware etc.).

And if they did'nt plan ahead; some of them do a very, very good job of
removing all traces of it "out there" on the net afterwards...

In some instances I have searched and searched until my fingers bled for
a specific program (ie mostly games) until it could be located. And I
usually know how to search... :)

regards from vegard

--
Vegard Krog Petersen - Norway

http://vegard2.no -
Solitaire MahJongg guide, Sarah Michelle Gellar Solitaire,
Freeware Logo & symbol, Halma & Chinese Checkers,
Pachisi & Ludo, Freeware Solitaire, My fishy site (fishing
games), a.c.f.g information, Fredrikshald Havfiskeklubb
18+ sites: Firefoxy, Adult Solitaire, Fishy Pictures,
Sexy Chess, Sexy Librarians, Sexy Football

EDEB

Vegard Krog Petersen said:
And if they did'nt plan ahead; some of them do a very, very good job of
removing all traces of it "out there" on the net afterwards...

In some instances I have searched and searched until my fingers bled for
a specific program (ie mostly games) until it could be located. And I
usually know how to search... :)

I've been that guy too. Sometimes you can get the old free - or shareware but the thing it did it can no longer do, because of
changes to the application it was designed to work with. For example, Streambox VCR and Streambox Ripper were apps designed to
download and convert Real Media files into MP3s etc, but Real have changed their codecs so that the latest versions of RM and RAM
files can't be changed with older versions of the Ripper.

EDEB.

Susan Bugher

Vegard said:
And if they did'nt plan ahead; some of them do a very, very good job of
removing all traces of it "out there" on the net afterwards...

:) I think the ones who succeed in removing all traces of a Freeware app
did plan ahead. IOW - they were *wannabee* $ware authors all along and
they controlled the Freeware distribution very very very carefully.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

ranrad

The new version is not freeware but that does not mean that the older
one changes it's license too. The new license only applies to the new
product. You should maintain the older version of program for
distribution if it was license as freeware.

Who is author of the program and what is the program's name?

Talking about Freeware that ain't anymore, I've got a copy of Edit Pad
Classic burned on one of my CDs. Don't know if it works with XP, must try
it sometime.

Shadow

Talking about Freeware that ain't anymore, I've got a copy of Edit Pad
Classic burned on one of my CDs. Don't know if it works with XP, must try
it sometime.

Works fine on Windows XP Pro SR-2.

Shadow