Windows 10 From the horses mouth...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I had a visitor the other day, a fella who bought some audio parts from me and it turned out he was in computer sales to corporates and was involved in feedback directly with Microsoft. I had been thinking about changing from Win 7 to Win 10 and he advised me not to bother as Win 7 was currently the better option. He said MS still considered Win 10 to be in a Beta stage and that everybody running it was a 'crash test dummy' which is why MS have stipulated the enormous feedback wanted with Win 10.

Furthermore he told me that many of his clients have had to ditch hardware (printers, scanners etc) as no drivers are available for some to work in Win 10. He supplies lots of Dell Optiflex tailor-made machines with i7's in them. He advised me that if I really wanted Win 10 to wait until the last minute (June this year) to install it for free. And lastly he got the impression, though not verified, that towards the end of this year MS would make installing Win 10 a one way trip so to speak as if your Win 7 activation code was used to enable Win 10 then you'd no longer be able to use that activation code to install your former version of Win 7.

Which does sound likely to me, that's the sort of dirty shenanigans MS would practice. Anyhow, that info 'from the horses mouth' so to speak. I've asked this fella to stay in touch and advise me on any pertinent info he may acquire concerning Microsoft and he has agreed to do that.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Good advice!

It is my 'prediction' that MS will extend the period of time beyond the 'deadline' they've set ... MS will think of some reason to do this that will make them look good, or not, depends on how you'll view their statement.

Any software I install, be it an OS or game or something else, I treat as Beta ... GW2 was a good example to me as is, Windows 10 ... "Windows 10 will never reach final release." (Citation: ME)

:user:

oh, and name me one incarnation of MS Windows that never made ANY hardware defunct. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score

oh, and name me one incarnation of MS Windows that never made ANY hardware defunct. :)

A pertinent point to make Mr Mucks, tis true. One could argue it's possibly the hardware manufacturer's shortcomings for not installing flexible enough firmware.

I am rather chuffed though that my Epson scanner, around six years old, works both in Linux Mint and Win 7, largely due, I suspect, thanks to Epson supplying suitable drivers.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I also have an ancient Epson scanner/printer that works just fine in 7. I have been very reluctant to upgrade to 10 as I have heard of similar problems - although not from the horse's mouth. :D

I have no intention of changing until I have to. :)

And talking of upgrades -

Upgrade.JPG

Reaction score
I had a visitor the other day, a fella who bought some audio parts from me and it turned out he was in computer sales to corporates and was involved in feedback directly with Microsoft. I had been thinking about changing from Win 7 to Win 10 and he advised me not to bother as Win 7 was currently the better option. He said MS still considered Win 10 to be in a Beta stage and that everybody running it was a 'crash test dummy' which is why MS have stipulated the enormous feedback wanted with Win 10.

Furthermore he told me that many of his clients have had to ditch hardware (printers, scanners etc) as no drivers are available for some to work in Win 10. He supplies lots of Dell Optiflex tailor-made machines with i7's in them. He advised me that if I really wanted Win 10 to wait until the last minute (June this year) to install it for free. And lastly he got the impression, though not verified, that towards the end of this year MS would make installing Win 10 a one way trip so to speak as if your Win 7 activation code was used to enable Win 10 then you'd no longer be able to use that activation code to install your former version of Win 7.

Which does sound likely to me, that's the sort of dirty shenanigans MS would practice. Anyhow, that info 'from the horses mouth' so to speak. I've asked this fella to stay in touch and advise me on any pertinent info he may acquire concerning Microsoft and he has agreed to do that.

So glad I am out of Microsoft clutches and into Linux Mint now.

Ask a Question